Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RJ  
#21 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2016 10:36:11 PM(UTC)
RJ

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Tiger - going with 6 fire dice for the game - compared to the panther's 75 l/70 the 88 did have less velocity (giving it more range and better penetration at longe range) BUT the 88 had a heavier shell which means at shorter ranges it had better penetration.
PilGrim  
#22 Posted : Sunday, July 10, 2016 11:16:46 PM(UTC)
PilGrim

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JagdWehrwolf Go to Quoted Post
I would drop to 5 Ini (reserving 6 for Tiger II) and to 7 Damage (again 8 for Tiger II). What annoys me though, is that system is bugged again if You compare Tiger I to IS-85.

P.S. Or maybe IS-85 is underpriced??? Comparing to Pershing You get one less Ini, one more Damage AND Heavy for the same price. Comparing to Panther two less Ini, two more Damage AND Heavy, again for the same price. Am I missing something or Coordinated Fire is suppose to be dirty cheap in comparison to Blitzkrieg/Gung-Ho?

I would rate the Tiger I initiative higher than the Tiger II. The Tiger Abteilungs other than at Kursk were chosen almost elite troops with massive support and plenty of experience. The Tiger II units much less so as the numbers of experienced crews fell due to losses and curtailed training programs and the tank itself sluggish and underpowered
Conall  
#23 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 1:20:21 AM(UTC)
Conall

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hithero Go to Quoted Post
I gave it a gun value of 5 as it was comparable to the long 75 on the Panther.
Have given it 8 health due to them supposably being hard to kill as its armour doesn't really justify 3
Initiative 6 just made it one lower than the Panther.
It seems to be working well in the games we have played so far, used 2 of them and a Panther V 2xShermans, 2xFirefly's and a Comet and they won with just one Tiger left sitting on the objective facing off one Sherman. 125pts, 1VP to 0VP, King of the hill, 8 rounds.

Tiger 1 card

Agree with initiative, gun & armour but 8 damage is excessive. I think you could make a case for either 6 or 7 but certainly not 8. 7 would make it more durable than a Panther, which is probably about right.

Tom
hithero  
#24 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 7:55:29 AM(UTC)
hithero

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: RJ Go to Quoted Post
Tiger - going with 6 fire dice for the game - compared to the panther's 75 l/70 the 88 did have less velocity (giving it more range and better penetration at longe range) BUT the 88 had a heavier shell which means at shorter ranges it had better penetration.

But you have to also consider guns better than the 88L56 and the limitations imposed by a few categories we can use. The SSU 122 only has 6, is the short 88 as good as that? A gun 50% bigger
PilGrim  
#25 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 10:09:16 AM(UTC)
PilGrim

But you have to also consider guns better than the 88L56 and the limitations imposed by a few categories we can use. The SSU 122 only has 6, is the short 88 as good as that? A gun 50% bigger

Yes - I think it is better, very much so, but I dont think it rates a 6 - the 122 is a mediocre gun for anti tank work that fires slowly, has poor quality ammunition leading to average accuracy but hits like a train. in Tanks they are over-rated. They exist to provide breakthrough firepower to Soviet formations in the same way the IS2 does - these are NOT Anti Tank guns - in fact the IS2 carried only about one third of its ammo as anti tank, the rest were HE to blow the PaK 40s and MG42s away and allow the T34s to surge through. The 88 L56 is probably the ideal anti tank gun, excellent accuracy, penetration and rate of fire. For anti tank work it is probably\arguably the best gun pound for pound used by any tank in ww2 - BUT I don't think the 88 is significantly better than the 75mm KwK on the Panther so it should be a 5.

thanks 1 user thanked PilGrim for this useful post.
JagdWehrwolf on 7/11/2016(UTC)
Zerstorer  
#26 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 2:36:19 PM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
I put together a fan card for the British Matilda II tank.

It came to 13 pts using the formula:
Stat line is 4-3-1-5
Semi-Indirect Fire, Heavy Tank, Slow

What do you think...I am toying with a 2 for the firepower rating, but that seems problematic for the game. I gave the Lee tank's 37mm a 2, but primarily because of the problem of having one tank commander and two separate guns. I can't wait to try it out against some other desert tanks...need to make the cards for those now!

I am thinking for the poor Italians, an M 13/40...3-3-0-3 (Maybe a 4 damage?? and even lower initiative?), slow tank. I am thinking a national trait of "improvvisazione." [Improvvisazione: The Italians made due with their poor equipment and made field modifications to improve their vehicles or simply to keep them running. At the beginning of the game, the crew can add one point to their initiative or their damage rating for free]. If you were to use the British Sherman as a basis to compare, the M-13/40 would value out at a mere one point and slow makes it like negative numbers....-4!!! I think I will have to use the M13/40 as a new standard for the comparisons and wing a point value for it...perhaps start it out at 4 points? What do you guys think? If I did that the Semovente with the short 75mm gun might come out 2-3-1-3 with assault gun, slow tank, improvvisazione, which looks to give it a net +4 over the M-13/40 for a total of 8 points (The extra defense die for its lower silhouette, improvements in frontal armor). The Semovente with the longer 75mm gun would get firepower 4, so a net improvement of +5 from the short-barreled Semovente giving it a cost of 13 points. The Italian numbers here seem okay.

PilGrim  
#27 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 7:12:05 PM(UTC)
PilGrim

Originally Posted by: Zerstorer Go to Quoted Post
I put together a fan card for the British Matilda II tank.

It came to 13 pts using the formula:
Stat line is 4-3-1-5
Semi-Indirect Fire, Heavy Tank, Slow

What do you think...I am toying with a 2 for the firepower rating, but that seems problematic for the game. I gave the Lee tank's 37mm a 2, but primarily because of the problem of having one tank commander and two separate guns. I can't wait to try it out against some other desert tanks...need to make the cards for those now!

I am thinking for the poor Italians, an M 13/40...3-3-0-3 (Maybe a 4 damage?? and even lower initiative?), slow tank. I am thinking a national trait of "improvvisazione." [Improvvisazione: The Italians made due with their poor equipment and made field modifications to improve their vehicles or simply to keep them running. At the beginning of the game, the crew can add one point to their initiative or their damage rating for free]. If you were to use the British Sherman as a basis to compare, the M-13/40 would value out at a mere one point and slow makes it like negative numbers....-4!!! I think I will have to use the M13/40 as a new standard for the comparisons and wing a point value for it...perhaps start it out at 4 points? What do you guys think? If I did that the Semovente with the short 75mm gun might come out 2-3-1-3 with assault gun, slow tank, improvvisazione, which looks to give it a net +4 over the M-13/40 for a total of 8 points (The extra defense die for its lower silhouette, improvements in frontal armor). The Semovente with the longer 75mm gun would get firepower 4, so a net improvement of +5 from the short-barreled Semovente giving it a cost of 13 points. The Italian numbers here seem okay.

Matilda is fine - not sure of the Italian special rule and points
JagdWehrwolf  
#28 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 7:48:43 PM(UTC)
JagdWehrwolf

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PilGrim Go to Quoted Post

Yes - I think it is better, very much so, but I dont think it rates a 6 - the 122 is a mediocre gun for anti tank work that fires slowly, has poor quality ammunition leading to average accuracy but hits like a train. in Tanks they are over-rated. They exist to provide breakthrough firepower to Soviet formations in the same way the IS2 does - these are NOT Anti Tank guns - in fact the IS2 carried only about one third of its ammo as anti tank, the rest were HE to blow the PaK 40s and MG42s away and allow the T34s to surge through. The 88 L56 is probably the ideal anti tank gun, excellent accuracy, penetration and rate of fire. For anti tank work it is probably\arguably the best gun pound for pound used by any tank in ww2 - BUT I don't think the 88 is significantly better than the 75mm KwK on the Panther so it should be a 5.

On point. And there needs to be some clear difference between short (L56) and long (L71) acht-komma-acht as in real muzzle velocity and consequentially penetration values are much higher (though addmittedly accuracy was somewhat worse) and the L71 is rated at Attack 6.

P.S. One more thing for hithero. It's spelled Blitzkrieg. ;)

Edited by user Monday, July 11, 2016 7:50:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ds335  
#29 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2016 1:53:09 AM(UTC)
Ds335

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Can xou send me the card layout. Like to make dome catds. Thx
Ds335  
#30 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2016 6:21:01 AM(UTC)
Ds335

What do you think about different slows:
Slow1: Roll a dice, on 2-6 its slow, just one move
Slow2: Roll a dice, on 3-6 its slow, just one move
And so on
With that we can difference for maus, e100 and so on
Zerstorer  
#31 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2016 11:42:19 AM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Just finished a fan card for the Archer. I gave it cautious, semi-indirect fire and slow tank. I gave it the stat line 4-6-0-3. Basing the points cost on the Achilles, I dropped 5 pts for slow and 2 points for the change in initiative from 6 to 4. That gave it a cost of 11 points. What do you think? The only problem I see is there is not really anything to reflect its low silhouette....maybe cautious kind of covers that?

I plan on using it for some WW2 and '56 Arab-Israeli War action! It hits hard, but the low initiative means it needs to have a good covered position and work with a team to get its licks in.

Edited by user Monday, December 5, 2016 11:43:32 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PilGrim  
#32 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2016 9:13:11 PM(UTC)
PilGrim

Just finished a fan card for the Archer. I gave it cautious, semi-indirect fire and slow tank. I gave it the stat line 4-6-0-3. Basing the points cost on the Achilles, I dropped 5 pts for slow and 2 points for the change in initiative from 6 to 4. That gave it a cost of 11 points. What do you think? The only problem I see is there is not really anything to reflect its low silhouette....maybe cautious kind of covers that?

I plan on using it for some WW2 and '56 Arab-Israeli War action! It hits hard, but the low initiative means it needs to have a good covered position and work with a team to get its licks in.

Actually I would think about giving the Archer very high initiative. Of all the TDs we have so far this is the ultimate ambush predator in that it rarely manoeuvred in the way we would associate. Archer tactics were to get in a prepared position and then use its size and camo to shoot first and kill, then pull out backwards (fast). It really is a sniper. The only ways I can see of representing this in the current game is give it an advanced deployment option - ie let it start 2 sticks in, give it high initiative, and maybe even give it a plus on the Cautious roll

This only applies to Brits in WW2 - not sure how they were used in '56

Zerstorer  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2016 2:56:35 AM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Originally Posted by: PilGrim Go to Quoted Post

Actually I would think about giving the Archer very high initiative. Of all the TDs we have so far this is the ultimate ambush predator in that it rarely manoeuvred in the way we would associate. Archer tactics were to get in a prepared position and then use its size and camo to shoot first and kill, then pull out backwards (fast). It really is a sniper. The only ways I can see of representing this in the current game is give it an advanced deployment option - ie let it start 2 sticks in, give it high initiative, and maybe even give it a plus on the Cautious roll

This only applies to Brits in WW2 - not sure how they were used in '56

I thought about that, but the Archer has some disadvantages that typically reduce initiative. It is slow. It has limited gun traverse and I need to add assault gun to its card. The driver typically had to move to account for gun recoil and then get back in his seat when it was time to move. It did have the advantage of being low to the ground and being positioned to drive away easily (gun faces rearwards). Slow tank is a killer for initiative and so is assault gun. I just can't see the Archer being equal to the Achilles. I might consider bumping it to a 5 initiative, but I really think it would shine if the British player pairs it with a high initiative Cromwell using radio coordinator. Incidentally, the Egyptian Archers were effective snipers at Abu Agheila. However, they were fighting from prepared defensive positions. The Egyprians also had Staghound armored cars in the same units.....wonder if they were acting as scouts and helping the Archers (that would fit the radio coordinator rule nicely).
PilGrim  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2016 8:43:43 PM(UTC)
PilGrim

All true, but it does have limited traverse in that it is not a turret, but it (probably) has the best traverse of all the limited traverse guns - 45 degrees either way IIRC. Being open topped would also mean high initiative.

I think it depends on circumstances, but from my reading I cant find anything that suggests the Anti Tank units in 21st AG preferred the Achilles - if anything maybe they preferred the Archer because they knew it was easier to hide. There is a caveat there of course in that the units that got Archer tended to be those that were initially attached to infantry formations so probably were thinking of it from the perspective of it replacing towed 17Pdrs

shifty33  
#35 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2016 5:23:08 AM(UTC)
shifty33

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
11 points for a 6 attack dice tank is way to cheap. U can drop 9 in a 100 point game. That's my only problem lol they are toeing out alot of attack dice. And there's still alot of hull on the table to the enemy to chew through.
Zerstorer  
#36 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2016 8:32:45 AM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Originally Posted by: shifty33 Go to Quoted Post
11 points for a 6 attack dice tank is way to cheap. U can drop 9 in a 100 point game. That's my only problem lol they are toeing out alot of attack dice. And there's still alot of hull on the table to the enemy to chew through.

Yeah....still I see the Archer as lower point than an Achilles. It is slow and an assault gun. Maybe treat slow as less of a penalty? If you only deduct 1 for slow and 2 to reduce its initiative to 4, then that gives you a 15 point glass hammer. Kind of debunks some of the "code" ideas here though.

Bryn Fowd  
#37 Posted : Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:27:36 PM(UTC)
Bryn Fowd

Heres a list I've sourced from this forum of new tanks people have proposed. Good to see the brain trust giving these some thought. I'm particularly interested in new stats as I can play Tanks with models from my 1/72 collection. Heres the data I've collected from these pages compiled for your reading pleasure :

M3 Stuart 6 2 0 4 Fast, 4 pts
Lee/Grant 4 4/2 1 4 Assault Gun, 16 pts
Matilda II 4 3 1 5 Semi indirect fire, Heavy, Slow, 13 pts
Archer 4 6 0 3 Cautious, Semi indirect fire, Slow, 13 pts
Elephant 2 6 3 7 Assault Gun, 38 pts
Churchill 4 4 3 7 Slow, 27 pts
although for me personally, I'd rate the Churchill assuming its the Mk VII with 75mm gun as:
4 4 3 7 Slow, Heavy, 35 points

so I'll be testing some of these against established tanks from the game and see how they play.

happy tracks

BF
Zerstorer  
#38 Posted : Friday, December 23, 2016 4:08:20 AM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Originally Posted by: Bryn Fowd Go to Quoted Post

Heres a list I've sourced from this forum of new tanks people have proposed. Good to see the brain trust giving these some thought. I'm particularly interested in new stats as I can play Tanks with models from my 1/72 collection. Heres the data I've collected from these pages compiled for your reading pleasure :

M3 Stuart 6 2 0 4 Fast, 4 pts
Lee/Grant 4 4/2 1 4 Assault Gun, 16 pts
Matilda II 4 3 1 5 Semi indirect fire, Heavy, Slow, 13 pts
Archer 4 6 0 3 Cautious, Semi indirect fire, Slow, 13 pts
Elephant 2 6 3 7 Assault Gun, 38 pts
Churchill 4 4 3 7 Slow, 27 pts
although for me personally, I'd rate the Churchill assuming its the Mk VII with 75mm gun as:
4 4 3 7 Slow, Heavy, 35 points

so I'll be testing some of these against established tanks from the game and see how they play.

happy tracks

BF

Don't forget that Lee/Grant special rule where it loses a defense die if it has no cover (big target). I would consider bumping the Stuart gun to a 3. The Lee is lower for its turret gun since the commander is very busy directing moves and targets for the primary gun...not a problem for the Stuart. By adding the 5 pts for fast and an additional 7 to bump the gun to 3, the Stuart comes in at a more reasonable 16 pts. If it were given the recon key word, then it might be closer to the 20 pts of a basic Sherman....interesting.

Edited by user Friday, December 23, 2016 8:13:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CmdrRook  
#39 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 5:48:56 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Sherman 75 -> Sherman 76: +1 attack, +5 points
M10 -> Jackson: +1 initiative, +1 attack, +4 points
M10 -> Achilles: +1 attack, +3 points (swap gung ho for semi indirect)

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm trying to suss out not only tank costs, but upgrade costs, as well. Our play group wants access to homebrew cards and tanks for our post apocalyptic theme, and we'll need to understand the basic math in play first.

Here is where things get complicated. Either this Wave experienced significant power creep, or certain factors and conditions apply modifiers to a tank or card's cost. I'm also beginning to suspect that certain costs are dynamic, such as armour costs.

1 point per Initiative seems accurate, but if each Attack is worth 5 points, then having three crew slots (shortened to "Seats" hereafter) is worth -2, having 0 Defense is worth -2, or both are worth -1. This is also ignoring potential point differences between faction abilities.

Once I'm home and off my mobile, I'll condense my notes here, but I'm open to any input on the meantime.
Fennek  
#40 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 7:17:26 AM(UTC)
Fennek

How do you rank the next 2 tanks.
- Kingtiger
- Jagdtiger

Edited by user Saturday, February 25, 2017 1:31:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified