Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LordOfKhemri  
#41 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 7:46:16 AM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
I'd be interested in the outcome as I have 3 king tigers and 2 jagdtigers
2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
Fennek  
#42 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2017 1:39:20 AM(UTC)
Fennek

How do you think about this.
Kingtiger 4-6-3-8. 46points. Same as the Super Pershing.
Jagdtiger 3-6-3-8 42points
Raider4  
#43 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2017 5:19:47 AM(UTC)
Raider4

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Howdo,

Tiger II - 5 6 3 8, with Blitzkrieg & Heavy Tank, and a crew of 4 for 45 pts.

Jagdtiger - 1 7 3 8, with Blitzkrieg, Big Gun, Assault Gun and Heavy Tank, 4 crew for 50 pts.

But these are just my ideas about values, and then the points are generated with my own experimental formula, which seems to (mostly) work. Although I have a few problems (e.g. Comet I can get nowhere close to 29pts - 25 is what I get).

Cheers.

Edited by user Saturday, February 25, 2017 5:24:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Raider4 for this useful post.
Fennek on 2/25/2017(UTC)
Fennek  
#44 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2017 6:07:42 AM(UTC)
Fennek

Originally Posted by: Raider4 Go to Quoted Post
Howdo,

Jagdtiger - 1 7 3 8, with Blitzkrieg, Big Gun, Assault Gun and Heavy Tank, 4 crew for 50 pts.

But these are just my ideas about values, and then the points are generated with my own experimental formula, which seems to (mostly) work. Although I have a few problems (e.g. Comet I can get nowhere close to 29pts - 25 is what I get).

Cheers.

Thanks Raider4

Sounds good, I will try this at my next game.
CmdrRook  
#45 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2017 6:27:20 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Sorry for the slowness of my follow up, but I'm afraid not only am I late, but I have bad news.

Firstly, I'm not a historical gamer by any stretch of the imagination. I can't fathom the real distinctions between design iterations of vehicles, competitive armor thickness, or the capabilities of their weapons, so I will not be able to scrap together a profile that satisfies anyone with an expectation of realism.

Secondly, the illusion of a unifying algorithm that converts stats into point costs seems to be a case of confirmation bias. One needs only to look at the differences between the factions tanks to realize that the designers ballparked what they felt, and likely were, solid, competitive statlines, and then tweaked point costs to keep everything balanced. Nowhere is this more evident than comparing first wave tanks to the later additions, where points could be off by a scant few to a crazy amount.

Let's take a look at a discrepancy I initially tried to explain away, comparing the American Sherman 75 to the 76, and the M10 to the Achilles, respectively.

Sherman 75 > 76: +1 attack, +5 points
M10 > Achilles: +1 attack, +3 points

There is something very wrong with this math. I previously spitballed a theory that the tank destroyers' unique stat line might warrant a sort of point rebate, but unless having no defense or very few hull points made the attack stat cheaper to upgrade over-all, you wouldn't see that point discrepancy between the two TDS at all. Maybe it's the faction ability that's causing the difference; semi indirect fire is widely considered inferior to gung ho, after all. Ehhhhhhh...

M10 > Jackson: +1 initiative, +1 attack, +4 points

Presuming initiative is still at a one for one ratio, that still implies it's cheaper, point wise, to upgrade a tank destroyer's attack stat than a Sherman. Maybe so! If there is some key that changes the cost of tank stats,I will only be able to guess, with no certainty and rapidly degrading faith in the numbers, until a sort of Rosetta Stone appears to set us on the right path, if it ever does.

The same also appears to be the case for crew, equipment, and doctrine cards. I thank you all for your patience, in any case.
Raider4  
#46 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2017 10:17:54 PM(UTC)
Raider4

Originally Posted by: Fennek Go to Quoted Post

Sounds good, I will try this at my next game.

Grand. I'd love to hear whether you think they're either under- or over-costed, and how they play in the game.

Cheers.
Raider4  
#47 Posted : Saturday, February 25, 2017 10:20:57 PM(UTC)
Raider4

Originally Posted by: CmdrRook Go to Quoted Post
. . . . Maybe it's the faction ability that's causing the difference; semi indirect fire is widely considered inferior to gung ho, after all. Ehhhhhhh...

Initially I costed all of the national traits the same, but rapidly came to the conclusion that some are worth more than others.

Now I have both Blitzkrieg and Coordinated Fire at 0 points, Gung Ho is 2 points, and Semi-indirect Fire I reckon is worth -1 point!

Cheers.

Edited by user Saturday, February 25, 2017 10:22:51 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling

Fennek  
#48 Posted : Sunday, February 26, 2017 7:32:31 PM(UTC)
Fennek

. . . . Maybe it's the faction ability that's causing the difference; semi indirect fire is widely considered inferior to gung ho, after all. Ehhhhhhh...

Initially I costed all of the national traits the same, but rapidly came to the conclusion that some are worth more than others.

Now I have both Blitzkrieg and Coordinated Fire at 0 points, Gung Ho is 2 points, and Semi-indirect Fire I reckon is worth -1 point!

Cheers.

And the Germans have a disadvantage. In the Command phase, they can use Blitzkrieg or do repair but the other nations can use there traits AND do repair.

Edited by user Sunday, February 26, 2017 7:35:13 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CmdrRook  
#49 Posted : Sunday, February 26, 2017 11:02:04 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Originally Posted by: Fennek Go to Quoted Post

And the Germans have a disadvantage. In the Command phase, they can use Blitzkrieg or do repair but the other nations can use there traits AND do repair.

UserPostedImage

A free move during the command phase for all of your tanks is intensely powerful, even at the cost of a repair roll that you likely will not need 80% of the time. Also a source of hilarity during the Clear the Mines scenario. Blitz and Comrade Krykov are the sole reasons I believe mines should be capable of dealing crits.
JagdWehrwolf  
#50 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2017 9:16:05 AM(UTC)
JagdWehrwolf

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Howdo,

Cheers.

Wrong and wrong.
Why the hell Tiger II should have a Heavy rule when it's side armour was pretty much the same as Tiger I? And even more so for Jagdtiger? Why JTiger has Attack 7 when it's 12.8cm Kwk had a comparable penetration performance to KTigers 8.8cm?

Tiger II with Your stats, but dropping Heavy at 44 pts. makes sense.

As for JagdTiger I'll quote myself from a different thread:

Jagdtiger or officially Panzerjäger Tiger Ausf. B
Initiative 1 Attack 6 Defence 3 Damage 8 Assault Gun, Big Gun, Impenetrable, Slow 47 Pts.

Horribly overloaded, nose heavy, barely moving chassis armed with a monstrous gun and a frontal armour like nothing else fielded throughout the war.

Special rules:
Rule created to show massive difference between Jagdtiger's frontal (250mm) and side (85mm) armour. I'm thinking about...
Impenetrable - this tank ignores one Hit or Critical Hit (chosen by attacking player) from every attack made against it, which does not benefit from Side Shot rule.

Slow - this tank can only make one move (one arrow).

<snip>

I was actually pondering the same problem, as I was sorta toying with the idea of "Cracking the code 2.0". Looking at Your math I believe that You right in Your assessment of M10>Achilles case (Natinal rule cost difference).
Otherwise basic system seems to work to a certain degree:
Sherman V 5 4 1 4 at 15 points
+1 +2 -1 -1 in points summary (+1 for INI, +10 for ATT, -7 for DEF, -1 for DAM equals +3 total)
Achilles 6 6 0 3 with Cautious (assuming free) at 18 points.

Sherman 75mm 6 4 1 6 at 20 points
+0 +1 -1 -3 in points summary (+0 for INI, +5 for ATT, -7 for DEF, -3 for DAM equals -5 total)
M10 6 5 0 3 with Cautious (assuming free) at 15 points.

Only when M36 comes into play things get weird, as it seems to be 2 pts too cheap.

Two remaining cases are complicated by unusual chassis in case of Germans and lack of Cautious rule for Soviets.

T-34 4 4 1 5 with Fast at 18 points
+2 +1 -1 -2 in points summary (+2 for INI, +5 for ATT, -7 for DEF, -2 for DAM equals -2 total)
M10 6 5 0 3 at 14 points.

In this case system goes out of the window, unless we'll make an assumption it's just a straightforward transfer from U.S. vehicle corrected for National rule and loss of Cautious cost.

And I'm not even going into Germans...

I kind of agree that we probably won't find the formula, even if such a thing exists, but so far we've been pretty close in points cost and that should be enough to keep us going with some vehicles until their eventual official release.

Edited by user Monday, February 27, 2017 9:59:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Raider4  
#51 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2017 10:28:23 AM(UTC)
Raider4

Originally Posted by: JagdWehrwolf Go to Quoted Post
Howdo,

Cheers.

Wrong and wrong.

Well, they're just ideas man. They're not 'wrong', but other people may think differently. They'd only be wrong if Battlefront release these vehicles, and they have different figures.

Why the hell Tiger II should have a Heavy rule when it's side armour was pretty much the same as Tiger I?

Umm, because the Tiger I has Heavy Tank?

And even more so for Jagdtiger? Why JTiger has Attack 7 when it's 12.8cm Kwk had a comparable penetration performance to KTigers 8.8cm?

Because it's a big-ass gun, and I thought it would be fun, maybe? If you drop that Attack to value to 6 then the points cost drops to only 43, which seems to cheap to me.

Tiger II with Your stats, but dropping Heavy at 44 pts. makes sense.

Actually, if you take Heavy Tank away, it works out to 44 points. Heavy Tank = +1pt in my formula.

As for JagdTiger I'll quote myself from a different thread:

Jagdtiger or officially Panzerjäger Tiger Ausf. B
Initiative 1 Attack 6 Defence 3 Damage 8 Assault Gun, Big Gun, Impenetrable, Slow 47 Pts.

Horribly overloaded, nose heavy, barely moving chassis armed with a monstrous gun and a frontal armour like nothing else fielded throughout the war.

Special rules:
Rule created to show massive difference between Jagdtiger's frontal (250mm) and side (85mm) armour. I'm thinking about...
Impenetrable - this tank ignores one Hit or Critical Hit (chosen by attacking player) from every attack made against it, which does not benefit from Side Shot rule.

Slow - this tank can only make one move (one arrow).

Ahh, I was staying away from creating new special rules, and building my version within the existing framework.

Cheers.
CmdrRook  
#52 Posted : Monday, February 27, 2017 10:35:04 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

The frontal armor rule already exists in the form of the SP having 3 Defense without Heavy Tank.
Raider4  
#53 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2017 4:37:47 AM(UTC)
Raider4

The frontal armor rule already exists in the form of the SP having 3 Defense without Heavy Tank.

Ahh, that makes sense.

Cheers.
JagdWehrwolf  
#54 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2017 8:23:46 AM(UTC)
JagdWehrwolf

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)

Well, You can say that about pretty much every tank in game that does not have Heavy rule... And it's just my take on JagdTiger as I felt it's worth noting the thickest frontal armour ever fielded (which is about three times thicker than its sides). So how about a version closer to the core game.
1-6-3-8 Assault Gun, Blitzkrieg, Big Gun, Cost: 45

Optional rules:
Impenetrable (Cost +3) - If the tank is not defending from a side shot, re-roll one defence die.
Slow (Cost -7) - Tank can move only one arrow per turn.

Well, they're just ideas man. They're not 'wrong', but other people may think differently. They'd only be wrong if Battlefront release these vehicles, and they have different figures.

Ideas can be wrong. Different does not mean right.

Umm, because the Tiger I has Heavy Tank?

And why Tiger I has Heavy Tank? Is it because it was classed as Heavy Tank or because there is a specific wording of a rule in TANKS game?

"Do not substract any Defence Dice when this tank is a target of a Side Shot."

It heavily implies that tank described with that rule has a similar armour all around. In the case of Tiger I frontal armour was circa 100mm while side armour circa 80mm. King Tiger's frontal armour was 120mm on lower and 150mm on upper plate, both at a significant angle, while the side armour was only slightly better than on Tiger I. That is the reason why both KT and JT should not have a Heavy Tank rule.

Because it's a big-ass gun, and I thought it would be fun, maybe? If you drop that Attack to value to 6 then the points cost drops to only 43, which seems to cheap to me.

Not really. The caliber is only slightly bigger than Gun mounted on IS-2 (128mm to 122mm). Main difference is that German gun from it's inception was designed as a Anti-tank gun, while Soviet one wasn't (though it proved itself in that role). Also, to quote You:

Ahh, I was staying away from creating new special rules, and building my version within the existing framework.

So far maximum ATT in game is 6. I reckon adding Big Gun will make for a sufficiently formidable boomstick.
Raider4  
#55 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:34:45 AM(UTC)
Raider4

And why Tiger I has Heavy Tank? Is it because it was classed as Heavy Tank or because there is a specific wording of a rule in TANKS game?

Eh? Tiger I has the Heavy Tank rule because Battlefront gave it that rule, same as IS-85 and IS-2.

"Do not substract any Defence Dice when this tank is a target of a Side Shot."

It heavily implies that tank described with that rule has a similar armour all around.

No it doesn't. It implies that the side armour is thick enough that the Side Shot rule does not apply to shots against this vehicle. Doesn't matter how similar it is to front armour.

However, I am persuaded that the Tiger II and Jagdtiger do not need Heavy Tank because they have Defence 3 is a plausible idea. It's only an extra point either way.

Then you have the irony of a vehicle weighing over 70 tons not getting the Heavy Tank rule . . . :-).

And my Jagdtiger will have an Attack value of 7, and no extra rules until Battlefront produce an official Slow/Ponderous rule, which they probably need to do.

Cheers.
Uthak  
#56 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 5:34:30 PM(UTC)
Uthak

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I guess I'm a little late to this discussion, nevertheless did I miss the factor of gradual increase in point worth and custom point scales on game-role.

Games like these often have a growth factor for each possible stat. such as a simple multiplier like this (for example):

0 armor = 0 points
1 armor = 1 point
2 armor = 5 points
3 armor = 12 points

this is to prevent games that are not even loosely bound to reality/history to build 10/10/10/10 creatures with all special rules and build effective death-stars for maximum points. T29-fantasy-tank much.

Also these point values tend to differ on different chassis/unit groups. I saw a note going into the point value of nation abilities, but I think each special rule interacts differently with every nation and then again with every role.

For example take the T49 with its 152mm M8E1 gun. This is a very fast light tank with the equivalent of 8 attack die (in this game / not necessarily accurate). However having 8 attack die on a fast (and "big gun"!!! just to be thorough) would/should cost significantly more to field, than said gun on a Sturmtiger / Jagdtiger / ISU 152 /etc., for it counter acts their typical class/role and in THIS board game there is no "fire OR drive", "heavy recoil", "3 turn reload" or "limited ammo" rules. The only way to balance these kind of effect is by different point scales for each nation, vehicle type and at excessively growing costs.

All of this only imo, but I felt this was not (or not enough) considered making the earlier given decoding. Nevertheless I love the effort and hope that GF9 just brings out bigger heaps of content, so people like me don't need to play with custom made KV 1/2 and Kingtigers/jagd-/sturmtigers. Roll 'em out boys

PS: yes yes, none of this needs to be right and I might be way off, but these are things to consider. I tend to go with the gent who pointed out that the creators used realism only for the models and then threw stats and game testing at them as it felt right and until it felt right. Bam - we made a tank.
I think the Sherman having 6 hull/life points showing the randomness/"making-it-fun-and-playable" factor very well.

Edited by user Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:27:34 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CmdrRook  
#57 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:16:27 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

The tricky thing to sussing out dynamic/sliding-scale point costs is that they become increasingly difficult to brute-force the more variables there are. There are a potential of six sources of dynamic costs; the four Stats, Seats, and Abilities. The only way to figure it out would be to plug a ton of numbers into an excel spreadsheet and spend a long time tweaking variables until it all lines up, or spend just as long programming it to do it itself. I posses neither the skill nor gumption for either, and by eyeballing it (clearly the most accurate method at my disposal), I had my doubts that a computer would turn up anything besides a digital shrug of defeat.

I encourage you to take a crack at it, if you're willing and able.
Uthak  
#58 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:38:14 PM(UTC)
Uthak

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 13 post(s)
There are a potential of six sources of dynamic costs; the four Stats, Seats, and Abilities.
I encourage you to take a crack at it, if you're willing and able.

I think its 8.5/9 sources. the four stats, #seats, abilities, national ability (+half a source for nation-specific hero cards that form certain synergies unique to that nation), and other "legally" available tanks to that nation (to form synergies with). But yeah, they would technically all need to be accounted for.

thanks for the vote of confidence but I will join you in the inability to do so, haha. I just thought to put out some food for thought for those giving it a crack

Maybe were over think-tanking this anyhow. its not that you can create any tank you want (unless you an alternate universe-scenario). But with only tanks possible that really existed and assuming you're not a balding 47 yo playing local 9 yo's at your comic book store with your custom 20-point-10/10/10/10 Maus-batalion, each commanded by wittman-clones, for the sole purpose of winning - all of this is maybe more precaution than needed. ;)

CmdrRook  
#59 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:44:28 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Originally Posted by: Uthak Go to Quoted Post

Maybe were over think-tanking this anyhow. its not that you can create any tank you want (unless you an alternate universe-scenario). But with only tanks possible that really existed and assuming you're not a balding 47 yo playing local 9 yo's at your comic book store with your custom 20-point-10/10/10/10 Maus-batalion, each commanded by wittman-clones, for the sole purpose of winning - all of this is maybe more precaution than needed. ;)

All I need to win is a Super Pershing with Clarence Mason, Camo Netting, and a steady supply of alcohol, thank you very much!

But as you may know, and others will agree, making tanks can be fun, whether for alternate universe shenanigans as Waster, the crew, and I are doing, or just so you can dust off your third-party KV-2 every once in a while for a fun game between friends. Ain't gotta' justify that to nobody.
Raider4  
#60 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:27:21 PM(UTC)
Raider4

Originally Posted by: Uthak Go to Quoted Post
I tend to go with the gent who pointed out that the creators used realism only for the models and then threw stats and game testing at them as it felt right and until it felt right. Bam - we made a tank.

Sadly, I think this is right, and that we'll never work out the formula, because there isn't one.

Proof?

The only difference between the Pz.III(long) and the Pz.IV(long) is 1 point of Initiative, for a cost difference of 1.

The only difference between the Pz.IV(long) and the original Pz.IVH is 1 point Defence, for a cost difference of 2.

Therefore, each 1 point of Initiative adds 1 point to the cost, each 1 point of Defence adds 2 points to the cost, right?

But, look at the two Tigers. The original Tiger I is costed at 33 points. The desert Tiger has I point of Initiative less, and I point of defence less, so should be (according to the above) be costed at 3 points less than the Tiger I at 30 points.

But it's not, it costs 29 points. Where's the other point loss come from?

As Uthak said, I think tank costs may be worked out to a formula, and then tweaked to make it feel 'right'.