Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CmdrRook  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 16, 2017 5:28:27 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Alright, Tanks HQ, tell me why Clever Loader won't effect Smoke Rounds.

Smoke Rounds: 3pts - Ammo
When shooting you may discard this card instead of rolling attack dice. The target tank gets -3 Attack and counts as being in Cover until the end of the shooting phase.

Clever Loader: 1pt - Loader
If you discard an Ammo Upgrade card when shooting, but do not score any Hits or Critical Hits, return the Upgrade card to the tank.

Edited by user Sunday, July 16, 2017 5:44:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Added rules text.

thanks 1 user thanked CmdrRook for this useful post.
Dr Large on 7/16/2017(UTC)
Dr Large  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:20:26 PM(UTC)
Dr Large

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Nice, how tempted are you to run it as a troll list, a pair of smokes and a pair of hitters could be interesting
CmdrRook  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 12:35:52 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

I'm actually building a circus themed German list using one of these as a "Lion Tamer."
Dr Large  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 12:49:37 AM(UTC)
Dr Large

Also nothing on the card saying the effects dont stack so double smoke super pershings/ jagdpanthers for trolling

Crusader with smoke and clever loader is only 17pts, so with 5 of them and some other upgrades you could in theory seriously reduce incoming fire until you got good shots into their flanks

So maybe:
Crusader
Smoke rounds
Clever Loader
Bloodthirsty Gunner
for a nice total of 20 pts

would be a boring list to play with/against through
CmdrRook  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 1:45:47 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Add in Stan Hicken from the honey expansion, and you have a hilarious hero tank.
Sean at TANKS HQ  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 11:18:22 AM(UTC)
Sean at TANKS HQ

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CmdrRook Go to Quoted Post

I'm afraid I can't do that Commander.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
thanks 2 users thanked Sean at TANKS HQ for this useful post.
CmdrRook on 7/18/2017(UTC), Praetor299th on 9/1/2017(UTC)
LordOfKhemri  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 8:17:02 PM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
So you can have a tank permanently firing smoke rounds at the same target in every turn if you have a Clever Loader?

I'd better get a soundtrack for my future battles with "smoke gets in your eyes" by The Platters on a loop.
2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
Kelvin  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 8:26:58 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Whilst I love theory building I will share something I know.

As some are aware, STAW is very similar to tanks in terms of mechanics and escpecially the army list building.

For a while, (First several waves) STAW really thrived where I live and then all of a sudden people began to make disgustingly op lists that were being used at tournaments and friendly games.

Eventually, the game dried up around here, and retailers just dropped it as most people were now playing x wing (Same deal, just can't op stuff as bad).

The point I'm making is this. Be carefull with your troll and cheese lists. In the right setting they're great fun but at a tournament (escpecially if they catch on and become a new meta) they can literally kill a game off locally because people get sick off it.

Fail to believe me at own risk guys.
Kelvin Griffiths, Attack Wing Captain, Lord Of Rings Hero and Tank Commander. Sort of...
LordOfKhemri  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 8:41:00 PM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Fully agree, and welcome back to the "i" in your name.

I used to play Warhammer Fantasy a lot but there was one guy who didn't see anything wrong in his Chaos Lists. I don't mind playing lists with SOME hard units but his were all tough and so difficult to wound never mind kill. Trying to devise a list SOLELY to try and touch his lists gave me no pleasure whatsoever.

These were just weekly nights not tournaments or practice for tournaments so why do it?

When I played him I just thought "well, at least I can get back and see some TV tonight"

It became no fun as I just like moving plastic men and kill or be killed, as long as there is some bizarre dice roll that makes us laugh.

As for TANKS, not many tournaments around North of England though so over powered lists are unlikely to affect me :(
6 May 18 no
Waster  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 1:40:56 AM(UTC)
Waster

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sean at TANKS HQ Go to Quoted Post

I'm afraid I can't do that Commander.
Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

I mean just... just clarify that an attack is the act of rolling attack dice
please
please the rules need this
please

*sobs*

okay infinite BS smoke ammo it is
CmdrRook  
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 1:04:20 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

So, Waster and I actually tested this out, and if this tank is not faster than the more threatening units on the board, it does literally nothing for the investment. Brits and Germans might be able to raise a few eyebrows with this tech, but Soviets and Americans will have their work cut out for them. I was also testing Platoon Coordinator, which was interesting but largely unhelpful. I'd rather soup up a command tank and have it transfer to any one target.
james101  
#12 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 8:51:08 PM(UTC)
james101

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
infinite smoke popping?
sounds like Victory at sea all over again...
Andrew at Tanks HQ  
#13 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 10:32:14 AM(UTC)
Andrew at Tanks HQ

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 45 post(s)

When shooting you may discard this card instead of rolling attack dice. The target tank gets -3 Attack and counts as being in Cover until the end of the shooting phase.

If you discard an Ammo Upgrade card when shooting, but do not score any Hits or Critical Hits, return the Upgrade card to the tank.

You must roll attack dice for Clever Loader to activate its ability. Since Smoke Rounds replaces the attack it cannot be saved by a clever loader.
CmdrRook  
#14 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 12:24:34 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Originally Posted by: Andrew at Tanks HQ Go to Quoted Post

You must roll attack dice for Clever Loader to activate its ability. Since Smoke Rounds replaces the attack it cannot be saved by a clever loader.

Both only refer to shooting, not attacking, but if you say so, I'll take your word for it. Does that also mean that if a tank suffers from both smoke and a Damaged Optics crit, and has less than 1 attack dice, it can not cancel the crit by shooting, in direct contrast to the card? Does Barkmann allow you to clear the crits, then attack with a full pool?

I know your opinion on releasing an FAQ, but seeing as how your own team isn't on the same page, perhaps we need some comprehensive clarifications?

Edited by user Monday, July 31, 2017 12:31:21 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling.

Andrew at Tanks HQ  
#15 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 1:34:59 PM(UTC)
Andrew at Tanks HQ

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 45 post(s)
With Damaged Optics you still shoot. You are not replacing the attack with an effect, you are just rolling zero dice.

Effects like Smoke ammo skips the attack roll, so any ability that triggers from an attack roll's result cannot be triggered with cards like Smoke Ammo.

So in this case Smoke Rounds replace the shooting attack roll with an effect, since no dice are rolled you cannot check for Clever loader as he requires a roll to check for hits and Crits.

Likewise Barkman also needs a roll to happen for his effect to work.

So in short, any card that requires a result of a roll requires the roll to take place.

CmdrRook  
#16 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 6:41:28 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

I agree that Rolling Zero Dice and Not Rolling Dice are significantly different and an important distinction. You might see where I have had trouble making the distinction here, however.

To recap, Rolling Zero Dice will trigger Clever Loader, Ernst Barkmann, and the Damaged Optics repair clause. Not Rolling Dice will only trigger Damaged Optics.

Just one more question, if I may;

Will shooting a smoke round count towards Coordinated Fire?
Dr Large  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 12:38:52 AM(UTC)
Dr Large

the wording suggests it would trigger co-ordinated fire, would be nice for a errata
LordOfKhemri  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 1:37:30 AM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Having broken out my Russian cards for the first time in 3-4 months I can't see why a smoke round shouldn't give Co-ordinated Fire.

The smoke round has been shot at the target albeit with no possibility of damage owing to no dice being rolled.

If it isn't consider a "shot" as such, how on earth did the smoke get there?
6 May 18 no
Tally - Ho  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 1:59:05 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)

This seems pretty obvious to me. Like was already mentioned; how did the smoke get there? (But then again I am not a rules lawyer kind of guy.)

Originally Posted by: Andrew at Tanks HQ Go to Quoted Post

Both only refer to shooting, not attacking, but if you say so, I'll take your word for it.

Seriously?

I know your opinion on releasing an FAQ, but seeing as how your own team isn't on the same page, perhaps we need some comprehensive clarifications?

Say what?

I agree that Rolling Zero Dice and Not Rolling Dice are significantly different and an important distinction. You might see where I have had trouble making the distinction here, however.

Am I missing something here?

thanks 1 user thanked Tally - Ho for this useful post.
CmdrRook on 8/1/2017(UTC)
CmdrRook  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 2:28:16 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Perhaps you are. Sean at Tanks HQ had already said the combination did work, but now we're finding out it doesn't. The distinction between rolling an attack pool that includes zero dice and not getting to the point of rolling dice at all being the pivotal element that separates "attacking" from just "shooting" is not mentioned in the rulebook at all, and cards seem to use these terms pretty loosely. As such, I didn't really have a place to start making the logical leap that it wouldn't work to begin with.