Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Barry Slemmings  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 5:36:25 AM(UTC)
Barry Slemmings

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I am a new player looking to buy into the game, but I am also a long-time WW2 wargamer and military historian.

I am a little puzzled by the long moves being given to the Tiger and Panther, their speed matches the Sherman, etc, (two sticks) plus they also get the Blitzkrieg move. To be truthful the Germans were on the defensive by the middle of 1943 and it got worse into '44 and '45. I would favour dropping the Blitkrieg ability for the Tiger and Panther as unrealistic. It also adds value to the Panzer IV and the Panzer III. A few Panzer IIIs were still in use in Normandy after D-Day.

Also - most tanks are slowed by obstacles and bad terrain. Why is the two-stick move and the Blitzkrieg move allowed inside of the woods?

Kelvin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 6:08:46 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Hi there

Truth is this is a very abstract and fast and loose game. If you were looking for a little more historical accuracy flames of war has it.

Tanks is more a 'Vibe' kind of game, but a fun one at that.
Kelvin Griffiths, Attack Wing Captain, Lord Of Rings Hero and Tank Commander. Sort of...
Barry Slemmings  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 7:06:08 AM(UTC)
Barry Slemmings

To be fair to all I have had very similar discussions on this subject with Wings of War/Glory and Axis and Allies: War at Sea players in the past.

The normal answer is along the lines of: "It's a beer and pretzels game…" which is a fair answer but the historian in me recoils at a 'quick' game which then throws out the baby with the bath water - sacrificing much historical accuracy for speedy game play or at least creating 'movie accuracy' instead of historical accuracy. The Tiger in 'Saving Private Ryan' showed a level of agility which could only be accomplished by a post-war Russian tank carrying no armour, no ammunition and very little fuel. Which is what that movie's Tiger really was.

Watch the Tiger in 'Fury' (Bovington's real Tiger on loan) and you see a very much more ponderous beastie. When I get set up and start playing properly I intend to house rule that Tigers and Panthers cannot use 'Blitzkrieg' and that any tank moving in bad terrain such as the woods moves at just one stick and cannot play the blitzkrieg rule at all.

I am also considering how to house rule the 'one shot hit and kill' phenomenon which was an unfortunate feature of so many tank actions in WW2. My best guess, so far, is that three '6's on hit dice which cannot by removed by the defence roll means an automatic kill on any vehicle but this reduces to two '6s' (which cannot be removed) for Shermans. The Sherman had an unenviable reputation for burning which lead to these nicknames:
'Tommy cooker' (from the Germans)
'Flaming coffins' (from the Polish Armoured Division in Normandy and North West Europe')
'Ronsons' (from the British - Ronson was a famous brand of cigarette lighter whose advertising slogan was 'light first time')

The Sherman only improves from the end of '44 with the appearance of 75mm (wet) and 76mm (wet) versions, the 'wet' referring to the new water jackets around the ammunition. It had been discovered that many burned out Shermans recovered in Normandy had unburned fuel tanks and engine compartments thus indicating it was the cordite propellant in the main gun cartridges which was catching fire so quickly. The wet stowage never fully replaced the dry stowage and was only introduced in replacements as tanks were hit. It is likely that less than 25% of frontline US Shermans had been replaced with wet stowage by the end of the war, the figure for British and other Allies is unknown. I am not even sure if the British received wet vehicles as they were also introducing the Comet.

Barry

Edited by user Tuesday, November 21, 2017 7:10:00 AM(UTC)  | Reason: correcting an error

thanks 1 user thanked Barry Slemmings for this useful post.
Rhet Sark on 11/22/2017(UTC)
Kelvin  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 9:53:42 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

I wholeheartedly agree with wanting historical accuracy. I did dabble with flames of war and even liked it. Unfortunately, it didn't go down too well with my brother whom I play games with. I also collect several other games so opted for tanks as it ticked all the boxes at the time.

I would suggest to keep some semblance of accuracy, try collecting and painting your tanks in a historically accurate way. It's what I do with all my nations and it is worth the effort. Fir example, I recently posted a pic of my take on fury on the modelling and painting section.

The end of day, this may be for you, it may not be. Good news is tank's is quite cheap to get into so it's not a huge loss if it's not your taste.

Whatever you go for, all the best.
Kelvin Griffiths, Attack Wing Captain, Lord Of Rings Hero and Tank Commander. Sort of...
Barry Slemmings  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 10:17:22 AM(UTC)
Barry Slemmings

My wargaming goes back to the late 1960s (yes I am that old!) and I was struck by the mechanism of Tanks which is somewhat similar to the rules quoted in Don Featherstone's 1960s book. Guns were assigned an AP value of 1 to 6 while armour went from 11 or 12 up to about 18 or 19. Three dice were rolled, the AP value was added to their scores and this had to equal or exceed the armour value to indicate a hit and a kill. Tanks had two armour values (front and side/rear) while soft targets and vehicles had just one. The AP value was adjusted due to range and other factors.

The Tanks move stick resembles the one from the 1970s naval game Sea Strike.

Yes I will be forming my vehicles in historical units, typically tank troops of around three to four vehicles. Germans are supposed to have five per troop but they were often understrength from 1944 onwards which is the period which interests me. My late father was with a 17-pounder unit - towed and M-10 - and he told me many stories from Hill 112, Carpiquet, and Holland. BTW the name Achilles was NEVER used in his unit, they always called them M-10s or 17-pounder M-10s. He and I suspect it was a post-war name which has been applied to WW2.

I already have a lot of 15mm wargames terrain so substituting 3-D buildings, woods and other terrain features will not be a problem.

B

Edited by user Tuesday, November 21, 2017 10:21:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Added two lines

thanks 2 users thanked Barry Slemmings for this useful post.
Kelvin on 11/21/2017(UTC), Axeman on 11/22/2017(UTC)
Kelvin  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 10:56:45 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

I thought Id been doing this a long time! You should be teaching me. Im 30 and have been a gamer since about 10, seriously doing things for around 12 years.

All respect to your father too. My great grandparents fought in both world wars between them, and even as a young lad I could just sense that things had been heavy for them. I still remember a picture from my dads grandad where his face is scarred - turned out it was burns from fighting during the Somme. I didn't even know what that was till later life. Now I deliberatley make the effort to know.

There is another WW2 game that has very believable rules and focuses on squad and platoon level. I cant say it directly on here so will say most WW2 rifles had that kind of loading ACTION. Im sure you will BOLT to the truth.

Hope you understood
thanks 1 user thanked Kelvin for this useful post.
Barry Slemmings on 11/21/2017(UTC)
Barry Slemmings  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 12:05:56 PM(UTC)
Barry Slemmings

I think I get the drift about the other game! :)

I have done WW2 is 1/72, 1/300th and 1/200th at various times over 40+ years. I also collect hardware items like WW2 anti-tank solid shot (I have five) and English Civil War roundshot (I have two).
The appeal of Tanks is that the 15mm models will allow me to 'nose into' WW2 at a simple skirmish level. I have seen the 'other' 15mm war-game but the rules appeared a little too much for me.

As my other main period is 15mm Wars of the Roses (hundreds of figures and my own rules) I am not short of 3-D terrain features such as bridges, buildings and trees. I might need some bocage hedging though.

B

Edited by user Tuesday, November 21, 2017 12:07:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added four words

Kelvin  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 12:28:54 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

You can make reasnoble hedges using green scouring pads and a bit of flock. Granted they arent realistic looking but ive used them in games of lord of the rings in the past and they were perfectly adequate.

I know ebay isnt a bad source for pre made terrain, Ive bought several items off there before. Castles, rivers, walls even an entire forest.

If you gave access to youtube I highly reccoment a channel called the terrain tutor. He shows you how to make all sorts, at a decent level, usually fairly cheap if you have usual hobby supplies.

As for the hundreds of war of roses miniatures, Ive got the same problem with my Lord of rings collection, I recently had a trip to ikea for cabinets because my better half said she was tired of boxes and cases. Win for me though as always wanted display cabinets but thats between us!
Barry Slemmings  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 21, 2017 1:28:41 PM(UTC)
Barry Slemmings

I have no problems with terrain. I use 12 inch by 12 inch sculpted polystyrene blocks which include rivers and streams on some, a variety of polystyrene hills and for bushes I use railway modellers' lichen. Some of my lichen is 40 years old and still OK, I keep it in a plastic tub with a little water. That keeps it fresh as a daisy.

For trees I get twigs and bits from bushes, I bake them in an oven or over a radiator for several hours to dry them right out and then cover them in stick-on green foam material, again sourced from a model railway shop. I will need to make some bocage hedging in due course.
thanks 1 user thanked Barry Slemmings for this useful post.
Kelvin on 11/21/2017(UTC)
Waster  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2017 7:15:23 AM(UTC)
Waster

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Barry Slemmings Go to Quoted Post
I have no problems with terrain. I use 12 inch by 12 inch sculpted polystyrene blocks which include rivers and streams on some, a variety of polystyrene hills and for bushes I use railway modellers' lichen. Some of my lichen is 40 years old and still OK, I keep it in a plastic tub with a little water. That keeps it fresh as a daisy.

For trees I get twigs and bits from bushes, I bake them in an oven or over a radiator for several hours to dry them right out and then cover them in stick-on green foam material, again sourced from a model railway shop. I will need to make some bocage hedging in due course.

Sounds great! Welcome to the forum Barry
thanks 1 user thanked Waster for this useful post.
Barry Slemmings on 11/22/2017(UTC)
Barry Slemmings  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 22, 2017 9:06:41 AM(UTC)
Barry Slemmings

Thank you.

B
JagdWehrwolf  
#12 Posted : Saturday, November 25, 2017 10:04:13 AM(UTC)
JagdWehrwolf

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Welcome Barry.

I am a little puzzled by the long moves being given to the Tiger and Panther, their speed matches the Sherman, etc, (two sticks) plus they also get the Blitzkrieg move. To be truthful the Germans were on the defensive by the middle of 1943 and it got worse into '44 and '45. I would favour dropping the Blitkrieg ability for the Tiger and Panther as unrealistic. It also adds value to the Panzer IV and the Panzer III. A few Panzer IIIs were still in use in Normandy after D-Day.

If we want to be nit-picky, than we should also consider dropping Gung-Ho from U.S. tanks. It's suppose to represent the use of first stabilisers, but in reality crews preffered to switch them off as they were unwieldy and difficult to use. Same with Coordinated Fire, as Soviets were not famous for coordination of their efforts.

Let's try to overthink it ina different way. Blitzkrieg can represent the ever-present focus in German Panzer troops doctrine on aggressiveness, taking the initiative, exploiting the breaches in enemy lines and counterattack.

Also - most tanks are slowed by obstacles and bad terrain. Why is the two-stick move and the Blitzkrieg move allowed inside of the woods?

Agreed. It was discussed many a times in this forum. For some it's just part of the elegant simplicity of this game. For me it's a line crossed between simplicity and oversimplification. Or dumbness.

Watch the Tiger in 'Fury' (Bovington's real Tiger on loan) and you see a very much more ponderous beastie.

Reason for this a bit different. Maintaining Tiger 131 in running condition is quite difficult, due to lack of spare parts, so the filmmakers or rather drivers had to treat Grandpa Tiger gently. And anyway, Tiger's mobility was actually on par with Sherman. Panther was superior to both.

The Sherman had an unenviable reputation for burning which lead to these nicknames:
'Tommy cooker' (from the Germans)
'Flaming coffins' (from the Polish Armoured Division in Normandy and North West Europe')
'Ronsons' (from the British - Ronson was a famous brand of cigarette lighter whose advertising slogan was 'light first time').

That old chestnut... I'd say that it definately gained this reputation among historians/threadheads thanks to Belton Cooper. And since his book's release the whole thing was many times thoroughly debunked. For starters the Ronson slogan appear in their adverts in fifties.
Especially eye-opening is statistical comparison of supposed inflammability of Sherman with Panzer IV or Panther, which burned as much or even more often.
And I am not saying that there wasn't a problem with ammo stowage. After all before introduction of wet stowage there were interim measures implemented (like additional plates of armour welded over ammo racks).
One of suspected reasons for this might have been the fire control practices of German Panzer crews. Apparently they were shooting the same target long enough to assure it's destruction. And from a tank periscope view that could only be confirmed if a)target suffered catastrophic explosion of ammo or b)was set on fire.
thanks 1 user thanked JagdWehrwolf for this useful post.
Ozariig on 11/28/2017(UTC)
Kelvin  
#13 Posted : Saturday, November 25, 2017 11:35:06 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Id heard it was zippos, not ronsons as the nick name, again dont know if there was any truth to it.

Also, simple fact was this, tiger and panthers were just lethal to Shermans regardless of the ammo stowage, their main guns just had a superior penetrating ability against a shermans armour.

As the Tanks starter set pointed out, Michael Wittman in his Panther conducted a savage ambush on a Sherman column during the Normandy campaign. The Shermans needed to ideally get in close where as German tanks like the Tiger and Panther were quite able to sit back and play sharpshooter.

It was basically two different approaches to armoured warfare, the US favoured more lighter tanks, whilst the Germans went for bigger yet more expensive and complex tanks, ultimatley the US strategy was more effective, but cost a lot of lives. I read it usually took 3 to 4 Shermans to effectivley deal with a well placed Tiger.
JagdWehrwolf  
#14 Posted : Sunday, November 26, 2017 1:19:16 AM(UTC)
JagdWehrwolf

Originally Posted by: Kelvin Go to Quoted Post
Also, simple fact was this, tiger and panthers were just lethal to Shermans regardless of the ammo stowage, their main guns just had a superior penetrating ability against a shermans armour.

In a race of armour and gun rare were the times that armour gained the upper hand. And by mid-44 and further, 17 pdrs. were used in increasing numbers, with later equally excellent 76mm M1 AT gun being fielded by U.S. forces. Both of these guns levelled the chances.

As the Tanks starter set pointed out, Michael Wittman in his Panther conducted a savage ambush on a Sherman column during the Normandy campaign.

Wittman was a Tiger commander, my friend. And I think You mean the Villers-Bocage incident. Similar situation apparently happened to Ernst Barkmann in a Panther. Though recent research undermines the impact (Wittmann) or even existence (Barkmann) of such events.

The Shermans needed to ideally get in close where as German tanks like the Tiger and Panther were quite able to sit back and play sharpshooter.

Problem is that Tigers and Panthers could not sit back and play sharpshooter, because densly overgrown and populated rural France was nothing like for most part flat and empty rural Russia.

It was basically two different approaches to armoured warfare, the US favoured more lighter tanks, whilst the Germans went for bigger yet more expensive and complex tanks, ultimatley the US strategy was more effective, but cost a lot of lives. I read it usually took 3 to 4 Shermans to effectivley deal with a well placed Tiger.

Let's break it down. U.S. opted for a lighter (no pun intended...) tank, because in their doctrine tanks were not suppose to fight tanks. That was the job of dedicated anti tank detachments, armed with mobile tank destroyers and/or drawn at guns. And that doctrine, having some success admittedly, eventually proved incorrect, as sometimes both branches were facing foe that, on paper, they were not suppose to engage. Too bad noone send the enemy any memos...

And there is so much wrong with the very commonplace, 3 to 4 Shermans per Tiger statement. Let's start that any commander willing to sacrifice lives of 3 to 4 trained crews of armoured corps soldiers to take out one enemy tank, would be qualified for psychiatrist or firing squad. If we take this ratio as general comparison of tank lossess that it just may carry some weight. But even with this statement situation is not so clean cut. There were circa 1350 Tigers produced between 1942 and 44 and they fought on all fronts. So that immediately limits the raw numbers of Tiger tanks even present in Normandy at any given time (not to mention how many of them was action ready). Sherman was ubiquitous. If an allied tank got destroyed, you could be pretty sure it was Sherman. And if the crew survived reasonably intact, there already was another one ready for them to mount and take into battle. And as mentioned above, Shermans (excluding Fireflies and later M1 armed ones) were not the German tanks' main enemy. Biggest fear of any tank crew was a well placed and camouflaged anti tank screen or a regular grunt with Bazooka/Panzerfaust.

Zerstorer  
#15 Posted : Sunday, November 26, 2017 6:20:01 AM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
The Germans wasted time and effort producing numerous over-engineered tank designs, rather than settling on one design. This significantly decreased the total output of tanks available to the German army, an army that was fighting a two-front war against industrial giants. The total number of standard Sherman tanks, both those armed with 75mm guns and those up-gunned with a longer 76mm weapon, almost equaled the German’s entire tank production numbers for WWII! The Soviets had also settled on a standardized medium tank design for the war, the excellent T-34. Soviet T-34 production outstripped the production of all German tanks combined. The sheer number of tanks fielded by the Allied nations went a long way to dealing with the superiority of German tank designs. Quantity has a quality all its own.
Sean at TANKS HQ  
#16 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 9:05:32 AM(UTC)
Sean at TANKS HQ

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 83 post(s)
As a little design note:
The national specific rules, while flavourful, are also meant to skew a nation towards a certain style of play. So while the Soviet tankers were not known for their coordination, the Coordinated Fire special rule encourages a Soviet player to take lots of tanks, and to gang up on their opponents. Likewise, the Gung-Ho rule encourages a US player to keep moving.
While the German tanks might not all be considered fast (as in, three move arrows worth of speed) the Blitzkrieg rule means that they can be the most tactically flexible army.
thanks 3 users thanked Sean at TANKS HQ for this useful post.
JagdWehrwolf on 11/27/2017(UTC), CraigH on 11/27/2017(UTC), Ozariig on 11/28/2017(UTC)
JagdWehrwolf  
#17 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 9:48:05 AM(UTC)
JagdWehrwolf

Originally Posted by: Sean at TANKS HQ Go to Quoted Post
As a little design note:
The national specific rules, while flavourful, are also meant to skew a nation towards a certain style of play. So while the Soviet tankers were not known for their coordination, the Coordinated Fire special rule encourages a Soviet player to take lots of tanks, and to gang up on their opponents. Likewise, the Gung-Ho rule encourages a US player to keep moving.
While the German tanks might not all be considered fast (as in, three move arrows worth of speed) the Blitzkrieg rule means that they can be the most tactically flexible army.

Sean, thanks for chipping in. Personally, I get it and I generally like the mechanics that distinguishes one Faction from the other. I roughly know FoW rules so I read National Rules as the closest approximation of them into TANKS meta (for example, Coordinated Fire being kind of Hen and Chickens with Attack Bonus).

But while I got You here, I will not waste the opportunity to grumble, that You not always get it right. I'm really sour about von Luck, as I was expecting a flamboyant Recce Commander and I got a semi decent Tank Destroyer Ace.

On this note. What do You think about opening a thread in which we could discuss the design decisions with You Guys?

Sean at TANKS HQ  
#18 Posted : Monday, November 27, 2017 11:25:52 AM(UTC)
Sean at TANKS HQ

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JagdWehrwolf Go to Quoted Post

On this note. What do You think about opening a thread in which we could discuss the design decisions with You Guys?

What I hope we have been doing is chiming in on discussions about current rules and releases, as and when they come up.

What we can't do is discuss future material and I think a dedicated thread would lead to that.
Sadly, it's a dangerous slope for us to engage in design speculation. We could be working on a new hero, for example, that just so happens to line up with something that later gets suggested by a forum-goer in a design-discussion thread with the creators.
Then we have to decide, do we release as is and risk that person thinking we took their ideas. Often it's too late as these things are developed well in advance.

I guess the best way to approach it would be to create threads asking specific questions.
"What's the intent behind Coordinated Fire?" or "Does Coordinated Fire influence how you build lists" for example. And we can add our thoughts to those.

Edited by user Monday, November 27, 2017 11:28:24 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Sean at TANKS HQ for this useful post.
CmdrRook on 11/27/2017(UTC), Ozariig on 11/28/2017(UTC)