Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tempest_Knight  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:28:34 PM(UTC)
Tempest_Knight

Here’s a scenario I had pop in my head before going to sleep. The smoke round upgrade card and the clever loader crew card make an interesting combo that I think is unintended and game breaking.

Clever loader reads, “If you discard an Ammo Upgrade when shooting, but do not score any Hits or Critical Hits, return the upgrade card to the tank.”

Smoke round reads, “When shooting, you may discard this card instead of rolling attack dice. The target tank gains -3 Attack and counts as being in Cover until the end of the shooting phase.”

Going by the plain text of these two cards you would end up with an infinite supply of smoke rounds on a tank. This is familiar to the endless tungsten shot tank I saw someone post on here. That too involved a clever loader crew card. Fortunately the community here saw that that build did not work as its creator had originally thought it did, and no, a tank can’t have an endless supply of tungsten shot. I’m hoping this combo also suffers a smilliar flaw as pointed out in the endless tungsten shot build.

Why it does work -

Let’s break this down by seeing if the three requirements are met to trigger clever loader.

Discarding an Ammo Upgrade Card - Smoke Round is an Ammo Upgrade card and you have to discard it to use it like other ammo upgrade cards. That’s the first requirement covered. Now on to the next.

When Shooting - the Smoke Round upgrade card states when shooting at the very start of its description, so the tank is with out question shooting when using the upgrade. Second down leaving just the final requirement to be met.

Do not score any Hits or Critical Hits - When using the Smoke Round upgrade card you don’t roll any attack dice so it is impossible to score any Hits or Critical Hits. That’s it, all requirements met.

Why it doesn’t/shouldn’t work -

I don’t have a defense on why this combo doesn’t work, I’m hoping the community here or a TANKS official can state why it doesn’t work or that it doesnt work. I do however have a strong opinion of why it shouldn’t work.

Ammo upgrade cards are consumables meant to be used up during the game. Just like potions in rpgs and health packs in video games. To have a combination that makes one of these consumables endless undermines the game mechanic of resource management.

As simple as it is to house rule this combo a no go, the exsitance of this combo leaves open a scary door to gamemanship.

Edited by user Wednesday, December 20, 2017 9:31:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CmdrRook  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2017 10:16:38 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
This interaction has already been addressed by Tanks HQ staff in this thread . I recommend reading the whole thing.

If you can't, or won't; the final outcome, according to Andrew:

A tank must have gone through the process of building and rolling a dice pool for attack (and defense) in order to calculate Cancelled and Uncanceled Hits/Crits. This dice pool can result in zero dice and still trigger the effects of cards like Clever Loader or Ernst Barkmann.
Because the Smoke Rounds card (which costs two points, not three, by the way) replaces that process with an effect, these abilities can not trigger. It isn't rolling zero attack dice, it's simply not rolling dice on the first place.

The fact that this is being asked about again reinforces the need for official rulebook errata regarding the particulars of attacking versus "Shooting."

Resourceful Gunner and Resourceful Loader can extend Smoke Rounds usage, still. And if you want crazy Clever Loader shenanigans, take one with Assassin and Barkmann, and Tungsten Shot.

Edited by user Wednesday, December 20, 2017 10:29:36 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarification on ruling.

thanks 2 users thanked CmdrRook for this useful post.
Maliboost on 12/20/2017(UTC), Tempest_Knight on 12/20/2017(UTC)
Tempest_Knight  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:02:37 PM(UTC)
Tempest_Knight

Thank you, CmdrRook, for the link. I did read the thread, at least skimmed it. It was a bit discouraging to see two conflicting rulings at first before a retraction of one and a finalized ruling given.

I hoped I wasn’t the first person to see this issue and post about it. I just couldn’t find anything on it, but in fairness I didn’t look that deep for other posts. I did go over the unofficial FAQ before posting, but I must have overlooked the point that addressed this particular issue.

I did want to put something in my original post about this being a fine example for the need of an official errata and faq, but I wanted to avoid that topic in this discussion because it has come up in every other thread about rule clarifications and interactions.

In regards to the tungsten shot shenanigans. I had referenced it in my original post since both issues were similar and achieved the same effect. I had thought the tungsten shot one had been disproven or at least it was settled that it does not work in the current state of the rules. I will have to find that thread again and reread it.

JagdWehrwolf  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:48:40 AM(UTC)
JagdWehrwolf

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Gents, a bit off top, but considering it appears in a lot of builds, don't You think that Assassin card should not be a Driver but a Gunner?
CmdrRook  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 21, 2017 10:14:53 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Probably.