Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mrpandapancake  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 3, 2017 8:27:39 AM(UTC)
Mrpandapancake

Hello everyone! I recently got into Tanks (I have everything shipping right now) from a plastic modelers perspective. I also do love table top games and history of course! But do your tanks all come from the Tanks line? Or do you pull some from Flames of war or other manufactures? I may want a different look or variant from a different maker for example.

If so I could see the problem of the tank cards. If you only get shermans, panthers, ect it wouldn't be a problem I don't think. Though if you got a different tank than what is the game would you make your own card for it? Of course these tanks would only be usable in 'house rules' games.

Also has anyone incorporated rivers/streams into their games? One would either have to cross at a bridge or take a movement penalty to cross it? To cross a stream one would have to be at the streams edge at beginning of a movement phase. Then they would have to use two movement just to get over it? This would be a rather niche game play mechanic, but I am curious on your input.

Lastly has anyone ever incorporated hull down positions (Such as a hole dug into the earth to only expose the turret. Or possibly a building with a hole for the gun? In the latter a tank would have to play as an SPG of course with a limited traverse.) I could see it as giving the tank an additional defense die?

Pardon me if these have already been discussed in the past? I am new and slowly working through everything! I am pleased to meet ya and treat me nicely!
JagdWehrwolf  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2017 3:29:20 AM(UTC)
JagdWehrwolf

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Welcome to the game!
Considering that TANKS kits are just a repackage of FoW models, there should be nothing stopping You from using whatever models You like. Personally I despise resin models, so if there is a plastic alternative I go for it, especially that size differences are mariginal.

Tank cards were created by fans pretty much from day one. There's a ton of them on the forum and You can check the facebook group where people were posting their individual takes on the tanks, new scenarios, etc.

Ahhh... Expanding the ruleset. Again, from the very premiere of the game there is a friendly discussion on elegant simplicity versus oversimplification. For attempts to introduce some more depth to the game check the 'Rules Discussion', where movement, terrain and other topics have been discussed.

Hope You'll enjoy Your stay.
CraigH  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 4, 2017 3:36:24 PM(UTC)
CraigH

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Yes, welcome !

Not sure I have much to add to what JagdWehrwolf said above but I think you'll find the community is pretty open to new ideas.

There seems to be people at all points on the spectrum - people that are perfectly happy with the game how it is to people who notice that a top speed difference of a few miles per hour isn't reflected in movement. Discussion is always welcome.

I like your idea on rivers. Could maybe have a scenario where a smaller defending force is trying to stop a large force from crossing.
Rhet Sark  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 5:56:30 AM(UTC)
Rhet Sark

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
The base set rules come with stat cards for lots of tanks, for 4 countries, but only plastic models for Shermans and Panthers. As stated above, Battleground plastic models are used in both the Flames of War line and the Tanks line.
I recommend obtaining the original GF9 Tanks (at least 1 of each) because the blister not only come with stat cards, but additional crew and upgrade cards, often with uniques not found in the starter set.

When playing friendly home games, you should feel free to add in "extra" tanks you already own of similar size that might not be from the FOW or GF9 line, but I think that there is a sticky forum post about using official tanks in sponsored games, and about forum discussion of off brand models.

Adding house rules for roads, rivers, hull down, etc is cool, but eventually the simple beer and pretzels feel of Tanks! will be overwhelmed by added rules such that you might just consider switching to Flames of War. Like they posted above, have a look around, use what you see that you enjoy.
Mrpandapancake  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 9:03:46 AM(UTC)
Mrpandapancake

Thank you everyone for your responses! I will share my findings as I dive into the game and learn! I am glad to see that these models are compatible with FoW and vise versa! With that knowledge I won't fear getting into both games one day as some of the armies will be cross compatible.

I can completely get behind the super simple rules of Tanks! That makes it easy to bring in new players with out having to study a rule book. House rules I would only bring in with other experienced players who want to mix things up and bring in new approaches. My father and I are both plastic modelers and military history fans. So I am sure we will be able to come up with some cool scenarios!
ocool_15  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 6, 2017 4:43:01 PM(UTC)
ocool_15

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I use a bunch of my Flames of War tanks.

As for other models there are a ton of House cards done and I've done a separate set of stats/Tanks for Early War games.