Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hithero  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2016 6:13:38 AM(UTC)
hithero

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Had two great fun 100pt games last night, Jagdpanther, Panther & StugG V Sherman 76 and 3x Sherman including about 15 pts of upgrades each. First game 1hr the second 45min, the Germans one quite convincingly both times with no losses, the US lost two Shermans at game end after objectives and winning conditions were met. We did however forget that destroyed tanks can still shoot but as it was the Stug doing all the damage and having the lowest Initiative, I don't think it mattered to much, a few observations.

Not having a turret is not a big issue as it only comes into play at point blank ranges when enemy can get past, a Stug with upgrades is generally a far better option than a PzIV.

Here's a bit of an oddity with this in effect.
UserPostedImage
The Jagdpanther can shoot the Sherman but the Sherman doesn't get a flank attack despite having a much better shot onto the side.

And the funnest moment.
UserPostedImage

The Panther is stationary holding the objective, the Sherman is disabled and also not moving so at point blank range has no defence dice and only 1 wound remaining. Panther rolls 5 misses, rerolls and all miss again. The Sherman does the same and the the Sherman is finished off by a moving SugG with 2 hits, fun times :) (pic taken at the end of the previous turn)

UserPostedImage
lUserPostedImage

thanks 3 users thanked hithero for this useful post.
WolfBenrath on 4/21/2016(UTC), Sean at TANKS HQ on 4/21/2016(UTC), FlyXwire on 4/22/2016(UTC)
MATRAKA14  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2016 7:09:08 AM(UTC)
MATRAKA14

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Side shots should use the "X" 40k pattern instead of the current "T" shape. and flanking should be more rewarding, just one les defence dice is not that good, and rear shots are ignored.

Maybe damage cards could be divided in 3 decks, one for front, other for sides and the last one for rear shots. Side deck could have cards related to ammo explosions or damage, and the rear one could be more focused on engine damage and similars.
FlyXwire  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2016 1:15:47 AM(UTC)
FlyXwire

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Good AAR hithero, and nice observation MATRAKA14 on the angle of impact mechanics (makes one wonder why an X pattern wasn't chosen).

We're going to muddle through a play-test next week, with only the rules, and the AFV cards and player aids scanned from the website here. Therefore, we won't be playing any of the special damage or repairing rules, or have any of the crewing upgrades.......

I wonder how the game might play without all the repair & crew embellishments - and if greater numbers of AFVs would compensate for the loss in game satisfaction w/o the extra card play?
Poi  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2016 2:12:51 AM(UTC)
Poi

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
The X pattern used in 40k (and Bolt Action) causes delays in working out shots. The choice here is much simpler, appropriate to a fastplay game.

I'm planning on getting enough of each tank to run pure forces with very few upgrades. Seeing the prices of third party tanks makes this very doable.
thanks 1 user thanked Poi for this useful post.
Carlson793 on 4/22/2016(UTC)
FlyXwire  
#5 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2016 2:37:57 AM(UTC)
FlyXwire

I think the pattern used here is more akin to how many linear warfare rule sets determine flank (oblique) fire.

It's always been pretty easy to determine a useable angle of impact arc by putting the 3-dots face of a D6 on a model's hull corner (which renders a 45 degree angle).

Something additional for those table dice to do when they're not being used for rolling.
Cerebus  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2016 3:21:13 AM(UTC)
Cerebus

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: FlyXwire Go to Quoted Post

I wonder how the game might play without all the repair & crew embellishments - and if greater numbers of AFVs would compensate for the loss in game satisfaction w/o the extra card play?

Before I got hold of the starter set I played a game with 5 tanks each side just using basic tank stats (no commander, no equipment, not even using the special tank rules for each nation) and just one damage per hit. The game was fast, furious, fun and very close. In fact with the full rule set the game slowed down a little.

If you've got loads of tanks just play it, you wont regret it.
thanks 1 user thanked Cerebus for this useful post.
FlyXwire on 4/22/2016(UTC)
FlyXwire  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2016 3:30:04 AM(UTC)
FlyXwire

Cerebus, I was hoping to hear that! Thanks for the reply, and thanks again to hithero for the posting here.

Edited by user Friday, April 22, 2016 3:32:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Sp!