Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Lotorc  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2017 3:29:23 AM(UTC)
Lotorc

Until the Flames of War Sherman Drab spray (CWP220) is released and shows up in my FLGS, what are you all using to emulate the color of these North African early war Shermans currently shown as the first entry on the Tanks home page. They appear to have a more brownish look to them than the standard US olive drab they've featured on the box art of all the previous US releases. With a few in-box variant exceptions, they have mostly been mid to late war and European Theater tanks (Sherman 76, Jackson and Pershing).

I'm interested in Vallejo, Citadel and Army Painter spray paints or brush-on/air paints. None of the stores near me will probably ever carry Colors of War paints, so a replacement will have to do. Related to this, I'm interested in crossovers for DAK Yellow and the base tan used for the Desert Rats.

Currently, my Sherman Drab is Citadel Steel Legion Drab. However, I think it's too brown, so I thought I could use a camoshade wash. Also, I've had some decent results mixing Vallejo paints, but it's more of a pain and because my painting skills are limited, doesn't look as nice as a spray can finish.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by user Thursday, September 7, 2017 4:04:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rhet Sark  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2017 9:19:03 AM(UTC)
Rhet Sark

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
My flgs does not yet have the GF9 early Sherman yet, so I have not yet tried to paint it like the desert version.
With what I have in stock, at a guess, I would try mixing some citadel castellan green into the drab, and then go back and highlight that coat with a drybrush of ratskin flesh or zandri dust.

Since my paint set is older, I might try mixing Graveyard earth with catachan green, and later drybrushing on kommando Khaki or dwarf flesh.
thanks 1 user thanked Rhet Sark for this useful post.
Lotorc on 9/8/2017(UTC)
Kelvin  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2017 11:12:02 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Yo.

For my European american hulls I do following:

Basecoat with Sherman Drab
Wash with Bradley Shade
Drybrush with Sherman Drab
2nd drybrush with 50% Sherman Drab 50% Military Khaki

Now when I paint desert ones, I plan to either add more military khaki to 2nd drybrush and/or a glaze wash of Bradley shade to brown it a bit.

Also, as much as I own and use GW paints a lot, I stopped using them for tanks as I realised the colours arent accurate. My first Sherman used Castellan Green and whilst it looked good, I thought shermans arent green really.

Hope this helps
Kelvin Griffiths, Attack Wing Captain, Lord Of Rings Hero and Tank Commander. Sort of...
thanks 1 user thanked Kelvin for this useful post.
Lotorc on 9/8/2017(UTC)
Nigel Maddaford  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 7, 2017 5:27:38 PM(UTC)
Nigel Maddaford

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I would suggest the following in vallejo

US brown violet

UK iraqi sand

Germany dark sand
thanks 1 user thanked Nigel Maddaford for this useful post.
Lotorc on 9/8/2017(UTC)
Lotorc  
#5 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 6:01:53 AM(UTC)
Lotorc

Thank you all for the feedback. I wanted to paint a couple of my Sherman V tanks from the FoW Open Fire set as North African proxies until the actual desert Shermans are released. Excited to put these into games with the new doctrine. So far, the closest I've come to the look of the featured Sherman on the TANKS home page and the yet unreleased FoW Sherman Drab spray (CWP220), is with a coat of Citadel Steel Legion Drab, followed by a wash of Citadel Camoshade. I wish I could add a picture to get your opinions. I also dry-brushed with Vallejo desert yellow. I will look for Brown Violet. I've heard a lot of people are using this for early war Sherman tanks.

By the way, what is the exact model of Sherman on the home page? The stats are identical to the Sherman V, but it's a slightly different tank. It looks like more cast material, rounded edges, etc.
JagdWehrwolf  
#6 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 6:56:18 AM(UTC)
JagdWehrwolf

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lotorc Go to Quoted Post
<snip>
By the way, what is the exact model of Sherman on the home page? The stats are identical to the Sherman V, but it's a slightly different tank. It looks like more cast material, rounded edges, etc.

It's an early M4A1 armed with 75mm M3 gun. This was the only version of Sherman with fully cast hull. In British Army known as Sherman II.

thanks 1 user thanked JagdWehrwolf for this useful post.
Lotorc on 9/8/2017(UTC)
Raider4  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 6:57:32 AM(UTC)
Raider4

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Lotorc Go to Quoted Post

That'll be an M4A1 (Sherman II in British parlance).

Cheers.

thanks 1 user thanked Raider4 for this useful post.
Lotorc on 9/8/2017(UTC)