Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Commander  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 27, 2017 12:23:59 PM(UTC)
Commander

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Have two questions that came up tonite
1st Player wanted to move half a stick and claim one movement then as part of same vehicle movement he wanted to move half a stick and claim another point if movement this was straight ahead and total movement was less than one stick
How do others play this?
2nd a tank is completly in middle of one woods . The target is completely in another woods there are two tree lines separating them. I say they can not see each other
What say ya'll?
Thanks
CmdrRook  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 27, 2017 2:42:54 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
1. Yes, each partial move counts as a whole separate move for the moving tanks defense and the defense of the moving tanks target in shooting.

2. The rules clearly state that both tanks will have line of sight and both benefit from cover. Only tanks outside of woods that must draw line of sight through woods will have their shots blocked.
Commander  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 27, 2017 2:58:11 PM(UTC)
Commander

So a puma moves 3x 1/4 inch can get credit the same a tank that moves 18 inches ?
You don't see something wrong?

So the fact there is a double tree line between them doesn't matter?

Were you ever in the army?

I still say gf9 needs to put out an errata
The more theses tankers play the more we are finding loopholes that can't be dismiss due to a simple game
Zerstorer  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 27, 2017 4:32:53 PM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Commander Go to Quoted Post
So a puma moves 3x 1/4 inch can get credit the same a tank that moves 18 inches ?
You don't see something wrong?

So the fact there is a double tree line between them doesn't matter?

Were you ever in the army?

I still say gf9 needs to put out an errata
The more theses tankers play the more we are finding loopholes that can't be dismiss due to a simple game

This is a simple game with lots of abstractions and plays almost like a miniatures version of World of Tanks. You got accurate rules-based answers to your questions. Your response challenging whether or not someone was in the army are silly. This is a game and not a simulation. There are plenty of games for rivet counters and tread heads. Tanks is not that kind of game. Play by the rules and you can have fun and complete games in under an hour. Looking for any sort of realism in this game will leave you wanting. I had some of the same troubles with this game at first, but then fell in love with the simplicity. I keep it interesting by setting up campaigns, creating fan cards for tanks not in the game and adding scenario-specific rules and kit. You could opt for a series of house rules, but why not just play one of the dozens of different and more complex sets of rules already out there? The only house rule we regularly use is to deny a bailed out tank from collecting objective points. Other than that, we just play by da' rules.

Edited by user Saturday, May 27, 2017 4:38:07 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Uthak  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 27, 2017 6:48:28 PM(UTC)
Uthak

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I agree with zerstoerer - what Rook said is correct. I understand frustration with that, but if he so wished, your opponent could move one full arrow forward, and then the full arrow back, effectively staying stationary but count as double moved, to avoid half arrow moves. Or moving three full moves in a triangle when "fast" for being stationary at 3 movement-tokens.

But those partial moves too are valid, you don't need to move the maximum distance of an arrow.

The thing with cover will bug you much more when you and your opponent have two tanks a quarter-inch away from each other in the same woods and both get cover from the 3 yards of forest they shoot through. As Zerstoerer said, the game needs a good amount of abstraction to be explained - we on our end play literally, so for us a bailed out tank does everything it can do by the rules. but again: I understand that they don't like the rule and play it differently. (For us its "cant move, cant shoot" - the name of the card is "flavourtext" to convey a message, in our interpretation).

I would say however you want to play it, if rules are unclear or open to different interpretations, just propose a house rule or clarify how to handle said situation with your opponent prior to playing. Keeping discussions during games to a minimum, with everyone at the same understanding of rules, really helps the flow of things and doesn't frustrate one or another.
CmdrRook  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 29, 2017 12:09:57 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Oh right, I forgot that answering your rule questions was the same as personally attacking your character for daring to interpret the rules. My mistake, won't happen again.
LordOfKhemri  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 8:22:13 AM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
I remember a few weeks ago Commander was storming out of the forum in a girlie huff.

Seems like they can't let their troll-like behaviour go.
2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
Kelvin  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 31, 2017 11:53:05 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I believe that people that deliberatley take major advantage of loopholes are really best avoided. Either that or you should epically play them at own game, thats always satisfying.

Gaming etiquette is a tricky one though, as your opponent could also be very innocent in there way of thinkkng, my bro is forever pre measuring moves in STAW even though its a no no, but I let it slide cause he isnt dellibertly cheating. Plus he cant steer a starship for S##t. Lol
Kelvin Griffiths, Attack Wing Captain, Lord Of Rings Hero and Tank Commander. Sort of...
james101  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 1, 2017 1:09:13 AM(UTC)
james101

I don't mind a shuffle for 3 movement defence. I get the 3 dice as well when they shoot me
LordOfKhemri  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 1, 2017 2:15:56 AM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Has anyone tried using x-wing templates for movement in Tanks?
2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
Chargers  
#11 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 3:34:05 AM(UTC)
Chargers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kelvn Go to Quoted Post
... my bro is forever pre measuring moves in STAW even though its a no no ...

Pre-measuring in STAW is allowed at any time.
Pre-measuring in X-Wing is never allowed.
1000cc of testosterone
Zerstorer  
#12 Posted : Monday, June 12, 2017 7:16:53 AM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Originally Posted by: LordOfKhemri Go to Quoted Post
Has anyone tried using x-wing templates for movement in Tanks?

No, but some way of committing to a move prior to the turn starting would be interesting. I think two circular markers per tank is all you need. One marker has an arrow on it. The second marker covers the arrow marker till u reveal it. When the tank's turn to move comes up, it reveals its marker and is committed to move such that it finishes its move displacing in that general direction. If the tank plans to stay stationary, you put the arrow marker upside down, so when u reveal the move it is blank. It might be cool to allow the tank to "belay that order" and alter its move, or stay stionary, but lose shooting dice, or reduce shooting initiative, as well as having to pass some sort of skill check. If the check is failed, the pre-planned maneuver must be executed.

What do you think?
Uthak  
#13 Posted : Saturday, June 17, 2017 12:33:21 PM(UTC)
Uthak

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 13 post(s)
how is this still going on :D doesn't even the rulebook have a picture clarifying that partial movements are totally ok and also indeed count as individual, full moves?!
Zerstorer  
#14 Posted : Sunday, June 18, 2017 4:25:59 AM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Originally Posted by: Uthak Go to Quoted Post
how is this still going on :D doesn't even the rulebook have a picture clarifying that partial movements are totally ok and also indeed count as individual, full moves?!

I don't think it ever needed any more clarification. These rules are so damn simple. Woods cover/line of sight was one of the few issues I had with the original rules.

I think once people focus on this as a game and not even a moderately serious simulation, the rules issues become less important. I hated tanks moving backwards as fast as they do forward, or side slipping.....but once I got over that, this game is now one of my favorites! World of Tanks meets my historical wargaming table! So many available models! Easy to make my own tank cards.....yay!

Waster  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, June 20, 2017 8:16:49 AM(UTC)
Waster

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Victory point conditions are checked in the command phase! These vary depending on the mission you are playing!

Hope that helps! :- )

Edited by user Tuesday, June 20, 2017 8:18:06 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Waster for this useful post.
CmdrRook on 6/20/2017(UTC)