Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
carlisimo  
#21 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2016 10:22:22 AM(UTC)
carlisimo

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
There's definitely some simplification in order to fit the wide range of weapons into a few Attack numbers (4, 5, and 6, really, since even the Puma's 50mm gets a rating of 4). But it seems to be based on real-life performance and not the guns' diameter. With, of course, some adjustments to make variants different from each other.

For example, the StuG III and Panzer IV have a 75mm gun with Attack 4, and the Panther and Pak-Wagen have a 75mm gun with Attack 5. I think it's debatable to give the Pak-Wagen a higher rating than the StuG and Panzer IV, but you have to draw the line somewhere (and if the 50mm Puma gets Attack 4, I suppose you have to give the Pak-Wagen variant something higher). The Panther's longer 75mm gun was similar in anti-tank performance to the Tiger 1's 88mm, probably a little better at long range and a little weaker at short range.

Try not to take the "flogged to death" comment personally. We've been debating those Attack values from the start, including trying to come up with Tiger stats long before we knew that it would actually be released. And the post that said it did also answer the question, which is what matters.

When will the Tiger actually be out? Will it have early-type wheels too?

Edited by user Saturday, November 12, 2016 10:24:39 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

goofus19  
#22 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2016 11:26:31 AM(UTC)
goofus19

The Tiger makes the Panther absolutely obsolete.
Why take a panther for 32, when for one more point you get Heavy Tank and 2 more hits!?
Axeman  
#23 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2016 11:54:47 AM(UTC)
Axeman

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
But the Panther has higher initiative which is a significant plus point.
Major_Koenig  
#24 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2016 2:45:21 AM(UTC)
Major_Koenig

i think its nice they put them in the depot, but release dates etc in the store and depot would be nice too. some friends were disappointed about the little info on the website about future releases...
Mess with the best, die like the rest!
KampfgruppeAdler  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 1:12:54 AM(UTC)
KampfgruppeAdler

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
been playing with the Tiger for 2 months...it's stats are fine...it does however make the Panther rather obsolete...maybe a Panther specific card in the future could help that...

two tigers...one with Kurt and one with Michael...is a great build...

three Tigers is a really tough basic build...

a Panther + a JagdPanther + a Tiger is not bad either...

good hunting...Adler...out........................

oh...and five PakWagen's is great fun.......

Edited by user Wednesday, November 16, 2016 1:14:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tally - Ho  
#26 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2016 2:05:41 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: goofus19 Go to Quoted Post
The Tiger makes the Panther absolutely obsolete.
Why take a panther for 32, when for one more point you get Heavy Tank and 2 more hits!?

When I first saw the Card for the Tiger I was surprised at the point cost & had wondered how this would play out. I had expected a point cost closer to 40.

I do realize that this is an entry level game and as such it is not too focused on historical accuracy. Having said that; it has always been my understanding that the Tiger was costly & more time consuming to build. I do think it might have been better if they had reflected that in the point cost.

As was already stated; the initiative on the Panther is higher. That should help keep it a viable unit.
MiSiO  
#27 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:58:26 AM(UTC)
MiSiO

Cost closer to 40 for a tank with stats exactly the same as a IS-85 that cost 33pts? Initiative is very important stat, co panther is still a good choice. Tiger is much more durable (+2 HP and Heavy) but will never get into a better position than Panther.
MiSiO
Tally - Ho  
#28 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2016 9:04:33 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MiSiO Go to Quoted Post
Cost closer to 40 for a tank with stats exactly the same as a IS-85 that cost 33pts?

I guess if you were to compare across different nationalities there may be something to this. Even so; how would you then explain how the IS-2 has one less initiative and only one more firepower than the IS-85 and is 38 points vs 33 points? At least with those you are comparing apples to apples. 2 Heavy Tanks with one having the weaker gun. (BTW; I do not have a problem with the point values of those 2 tanks, especially if you assume that the IS-2 is the earlier version. I was just using them for illustrative purposes because you brought up the IS-85.) The reason for my statement was that first historically you could build at least 2 Panthers for the same cost as a Tiger I and secondly; when you compare it to the other German tanks the cost does seem a little incongruous. Tiger is a Heavy Tank and the Panther is a Medium. The Tiger also is more durable.
Originally Posted by: MiSio Go to Quoted Post
Initiative is very important stat, co panther is still a good choice. Tiger is much more durable (+2 HP and Heavy) but will never get into a better position than Panther.

Never is a long time.
There are ways to increase the initiative on a unit. I guess the question is whether it is easier to raise a units initiative or is it easier to increase its armor value by 2.

For the record; I am not unhappy with the Tiger. I was merely responding to the fact that some feel that because of the stats the Tiger can make the Panther obsolete. To me the easiest & most logical solution would have been to raise the cost of the Tiger.

P.S. It is my understanding that it cost less to build an IS-85 than it did a Tiger I.
MiSiO  
#29 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 10:57:48 PM(UTC)
MiSiO

I guess Tanks! is not based on how expensive tanks were to build. This would wkreck the balance. Cheap T-34 vs Tigers etc.

I it more about how effective tanks were on a field. Panther and Tiger had different guns that were performing more-less the same.

IS-2 vs IS-85 - I would say - coordinated fire. 7 attack dice without any upgrades.

Tiger vs Panther - Initiative is very important but I agree that Tiger seems just a little better for the points.

Edited by user Friday, November 18, 2016 11:00:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MiSiO
Kelvin  
#30 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2016 11:06:10 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi. When does tiger release? Also, anyone know if there are plans for Stuart tanks? Would make a good recon for US and Brittish forces.
Mowie  
#31 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2016 4:24:41 PM(UTC)
Mowie

The initial release of the plastic Tigers box set for FoW is the limited Tigers Marsch Edition which contains bonus stuff.

The bonus stuff includes two printed objectives featuring artwork by Vincent Wai of the iconic Tiger I E in action; one 101. Schwere SS-Panerabteilung decal sheet and seven cards for the World War Two tank skirmish game, TANKS.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=5309

I am very tempted to get this.
Kelvin  
#32 Posted : Friday, November 25, 2016 12:13:22 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Yep, im tempted to as well. Love the flames of war / tanks combo and the decals and commanders, sweet box set.
LordOfKhemri  
#33 Posted : Saturday, November 26, 2016 2:36:41 AM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Ordered :)
2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
Kees  
#34 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2016 2:58:51 AM(UTC)
Kees

I am a newbie to Tanks! and very interested in the Tiger Marsch box, but how do i know that the copy i am ordering will be the limited one?
Major_Koenig  
#35 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2016 3:32:45 AM(UTC)
Major_Koenig

well 5 tigers and only 1 matching tank card, wont get that one. i will simply buy my 3 seperate tigers, more schürzen an doctrines...
Mess with the best, die like the rest!