Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tally - Ho  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2016 2:04:47 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Do you feel that there may be an issue with the way initiative works in this game?
Also do you think there is an issue with the Initiative gap between certain units?
thanks 1 user thanked Tally - Ho for this useful post.
Zerstorer on 11/7/2016(UTC)
Zerstorer  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2016 4:10:23 AM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tally - Ho Go to Quoted Post
Do you feel that there may be an issue with the way initiative works in this game?
Also do you think there is an issue with the Initiative gap between certain units?

No and no. I think the game would be very boring without initiative differences and devolve into a simple dice fest and everyone would play with tanks that had the biggest gun and heaviest armor.

Studies on armored combat show that the victor in an armored engagement was usually the one who spotted the enemy first and shot first. This is reflected in the game with high initiative numbers, both from tank design and better-trained crew. The ability for a stationary tank to reroll attack dice also helps model this, since the defender in a tank engagement often has the advantage of position and cover and thus, will end up seeing the target first and shooting first (not always though).

For example, in a game I played last night, my opponent split up his force and I used my high initiative and fast speed to concentrate my force of 3 Cromwells and a Challenger against a Panzer IV and a Jagdpanther. The first exchange went well for the stationary Germans, but eventually the Jagdpanther succumbed to the close range fire of the Cromwells, who used high initiative to flank the assault gun and avoid return fire. The German lost both vehicles, but it cost the British a Cromwell and another Cromwell had one hit left. It seemed a reasonable result. The 3 remaining Brits took off to take on the 2 remaining Germans, a Stug and a Panther, who were covering the objective. Bad luck intervened though and the Challenger, despite shooting first, died in a hail of lucky hits after shooting first and giving 4 hits to the Stug. The final 2 Cromwells used their initiative to bail out and kill the Stug next turn before it could shoot back, while positioning themselves to avoid return fire from the Panther (lower initiative). However, with a healthy Panther left and time running out, the German held the objective and won the game.

In a straight up comparison of armor and firepower, the mission of taking the objective looked nigh impossible for the British force. The German force had 19 Attack dice and 6 defense dice, the British only had 17 attack dice and 4 defense dice. The German player had the edge in getting half the board to deploy on. The fast key word, along with high initiative, gave the British force a fighting chance...even against a pair of big cats.

Oh....also....don't forget your national ability in the game! I reminded my opponent about his blitzkrieg moves every turn. No one reminded me about my semi-indirect fire ability and I never used it. It might have sped up the Jagdpanther's demise! Similarly, the first time I played Russians, I didn't use the coordinated fire rule at all. The second time, I remembered and ny fast horde of T-34's sliced through the opposition....despite being low initiative.

Edited by user Monday, November 7, 2016 4:17:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Zerstorer for this useful post.
Axeman on 11/7/2016(UTC), Tally - Ho on 11/8/2016(UTC)
AnotherTanker  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2016 7:35:15 PM(UTC)
AnotherTanker

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Tanks was heavily influenced by the X-Wing game that FFG released. However, in X-Wing players still have to plot their moves while in Tanks players just move on a whim - anywhere in any way. Here is where the initiative rating of the tanks take on a huge role in the game of Tanks. In fact, it is so dominating that its almost a game changer - most of the time, but you have to avoid placing your tank in a bad spot in the first place. Being next to woods or a house is very helpful.

I learned very early on in a game of Tanks that having the higher initiative tanks is the way to go for most games. Being able to move last and fire first is a huge advantage. Especially the movement part of the game. Being able to react to your opponent's every move in any way you wish is a major advantage.

You do not want to face three enemy tanks? No worries, just move to a spot so that none of them can see you, or better yet, to a spot where only one can see you, and maybe your shot will give it crits before it gets to fire. Its not like you had plotted your move or anything like you do in X-Wing.

I remember reading somewhere about how fluid movement can be.
Let me see if I can find it. Please hold.
[soft music playing]
Sorry it took so long :-)
It was here:
https://www.boardgamegee...wrong-or-game-really-bad

Good description, "The tanks don't move - they teleport, their future position after movement or two is just unpredictable."

Being able to "teleport" last in reaction to what your opponent does is a huge advantage. Provided you did not place your tank in a bad spot in the first place.

Originally Posted by: Tally - Ho Go to Quoted Post

Yes and yes.

I am a bit surprised that my gaming group is the only one that sees this flaw.
But we also know its a very simple, light, loose, unrestrictive game not to be taken seriously.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 8, 2016 3:17:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified