Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JagdWehrwolf  
#21 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2016 3:46:50 AM(UTC)
JagdWehrwolf

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hithero Go to Quoted Post
The gun rating of 4 is I think correct within the parameters of the game.

Depends. Historically it's unjustifiable. 5cm Kwk 39 was inferior even to 7.5cm Kwk 40/L43 and there was no comparison with L48. The only way I see it, is that it was lumped in Attack 4, so there will be some space for stuff like Stuart's 37mm gun at Attack 3.
Bigblue58  
#22 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2016 4:44:52 AM(UTC)
Bigblue58

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I like both the Tiger and the 2 types of Puma. I am not sure I like that the Tiger 1E 88mm gun is only as good as the long 75mm of the Panther. It seems like it should be a little better. I guess the Tiger II will have a firepower of 6 making it the same as the Super Pershing and the IS-2.
Tally - Ho  
#23 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2016 6:22:06 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: JagdWehrwolf Go to Quoted Post

Depends. Historically it's unjustifiable. 5cm Kwk 39 was inferior even to 7.5cm Kwk 40/L43 and there was no comparison with L48. The only way I see it, is that it was lumped in Attack 4, so there will be some space for stuff like Stuart's 37mm gun at Attack 3.

Quick Question: How are you arriving at a GR of 4 on the Puma?

Setting aside the fact that this is really not a Historically focused game for a minute;

I disagree with your statement that it is historically unjustifiable. Whereas you can make the case that the gun itself was more powerful you do have to take into account other factors such as the Puma having a turret, carried more ammunition, and was typically given to more veteran crews, to name a few.
I will concede that historically the Puma did not fair very well against the Tiger and Panther because of the gun size.

Personally I think they did a great job on these 2 units. Love the 3 moves on the Puma.

Tally - Ho  
#24 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2016 6:25:30 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Originally Posted by: Bigblue58 Go to Quoted Post
I like both the Tiger and the 2 types of Puma. I am not sure I like that the Tiger 1E 88mm gun is only as good as the long 75mm of the Panther. It seems like it should be a little better. I guess the Tiger II will have a firepower of 6 making it the same as the Super Pershing and the IS-2.

I agree that they probably could have given the Tiger I one more attack die. I also think that it could have had a higher points cost. (35 - 38)

At the end of the day I am pretty happy with what they did with it. Looking forward to playing against them.

Edited by user Sunday, October 23, 2016 6:27:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: clarification

jimklein1966  
#25 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2016 11:39:59 AM(UTC)
jimklein1966

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
So everything is confirmed now. We are getting a Tiger and then some. But I'm feeling like having a bit of moan. I can't help but feel disappointed with how Puma turned out. It seems like a missed opportunity. It's not all bad, because it's nice to have a Fast Jerry can, but two things don't sit well with me: Attack rating and Recon rule. It's really a head scratcher why 5cm Kwk 39 (Puma gun) got a rating on par with vastly superior 7,5cm Kwk 40. And You can't really justify it by Puma being loaded with APCR ammo, as it was done with raised rating for 17 pdr. on an Achilles, as Puma was a recce vehicle. Which brings me to my second charge. It sucks that designers went with dropping just another gun (and not very good) on a table. It would be so easy to create a special rule for Recon that instead of buffing just a tank having it, could have been a support for Your force. Even going by fan made Recon rule (forfeit the shot and pass on Initiative in the same way as Radio Coordinator), how cool would be a swarm force made of StuGs reinforced with a couple of Pumas? Sigh...

Recon was my suggestion for the game so thank you for the compliment :)
I agree w you in that I was hoping Recce vehicles would get a more supporting role in the army so how about this idea for a special recon vehicle Doctrine card. It works similar to the recon rule I wrote but doesnt require the recon tank itself to have a high initiative to make this useful.
eaye and ears

thanks 1 user thanked jimklein1966 for this useful post.
JagdWehrwolf on 10/23/2016(UTC)
Thundertotem  
#26 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2016 12:35:33 PM(UTC)
Thundertotem

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Well, I am gonna buy a BUNCH of Pumas and Tigers. Got an idea...and it seems good :P
Panzer Vor!!!
jimklein1966  
#27 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2016 2:46:13 PM(UTC)
jimklein1966

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I tried out a Tiger, Panther and two Pumas today in an objective game. My opponent had 3 US 76mm Shermans and a Jackson. The list did well against the shermans but the jackson kept shooting then ducking out of the line of sight. Damn annoying! anyway- the Pumas recon ability actually works better than it looks on paper.
JagdWehrwolf  
#28 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2016 10:37:18 PM(UTC)
JagdWehrwolf

Brace Yourself for a Wall-o-text...

Originally Posted by: Tally - Ho Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Bigblue58 Go to Quoted Post

I agree that they probably could have given the Tiger I one more attack die. I also think that it could have had a higher points cost. (35 - 38)

At the end of the day I am pretty happy with what they did with it. Looking forward to playing against them.

In terms of penetration value 8.8cm Kwk 36 L/56 (Tiger I gun) was actually slightly worse than 7.5cm Kwk 42 L/70 (Panther gun), but it had a bigger, heavier round. And in the light of Attack rating 6 for 8.8cm Pak/Kwk 43 L/71 (respectively JagdPanther and Tiger II gun), which was a massive improvement over it's predecessor Attack rating 5 is pretty much spot on.

Setting aside the fact that this is really not a Historically focused game for a minute;

I disagree with your statement that it is historically unjustifiable. Whereas you can make the case that the gun itself was more powerful you do have to take into account other factors such as the Puma having a turret, carried more ammunition, and was typically given to more veteran crews, to name a few.
I will concede that historically the Puma did not fair very well against the Tiger and Panther because of the gun size.

Personally I think they did a great job on these 2 units. Love the 3 moves on the Puma.

Eee... Puma's rating is given on it's card. And frankly we seem to be talking about completely different things here, as Puma did not have to fare against Tiger and Panther. First, all vehicles served in the same Army, second, their tasks were completely different (recce, heavy tank, medium tank respectively).

As for ratings, Puma's gun (5cm Kwk 39 L/60) was vastly inferior to Panzer IV's gun (7.5cm Kwk 40 L/48), yet it ended with the same Attack value.

But I agree that it's nice to finally have a Fast German.

Originally Posted by: jimklein1966 Go to Quoted Post
I agree w you in that I was hoping Recce vehicles would get a more supporting role in the army so how about this idea for a special recon vehicle Doctrine card. It works similar to the recon rule I wrote but doesnt require the recon tank itself to have a high initiative to make this useful.
eaye and ears

It's nice, but You highlighted another missed chance that is Doctrine cards. As someone was saying in a thread dedicated to them it's a pity that Doctrine does not encompass the whole of the force You're fielding. I'm coming from a point of view of someone who is using Radio Coordinator regularely and I like the additional layer of internal synergy it gives to my tank company. It allows for more elaborate tactics than just teleport a tank and roll dice. Recon as is and Doctrine as a single tank upgrade just seem a wasted opportunity to make the game even better.

I tried out a Tiger, Panther and two Pumas today in an objective game. My opponent had 3 US 76mm Shermans and a Jackson. The list did well against the shermans but the jackson kept shooting then ducking out of the line of sight. Damn annoying! anyway- the Pumas recon ability actually works better than it looks on paper.

To finish my rant off I'll just say that Puma's Recon from a number crunching point of view just gives it back the Defence rating of 1 under condition that You're hugging cover.

Bloody hell, I think I need some happy pills...

Edited by user Sunday, October 23, 2016 10:38:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Tally - Ho  
#29 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2016 2:57:00 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Brace Yourself for a Wall-o-text...

In terms of penetration value 8.8cm Kwk 36 L/56 (Tiger I gun) was actually slightly worse than 7.5cm Kwk 42 L/70 (Panther gun), but it had a bigger, heavier round. And in the light of Attack rating 6 for 8.8cm Pak/Kwk 43 L/71 (respectively JagdPanther and Tiger II gun), which was a massive improvement over it's predecessor Attack rating 5 is pretty much spot on.

My mistake; I forgot it was not the same gun as the Jagdpanther.

Eee... Puma's rating is given on it's card. And frankly we seem to be talking about completely different things here, as Puma did not have to fare against Tiger and Panther. First, all vehicles served in the same Army, second, their tasks were completely different (recce, heavy tank, medium tank respectively).

As for ratings, Puma's gun (5cm Kwk 39 L/60) was vastly inferior to Panzer IV's gun (7.5cm Kwk 40 L/48), yet it ended with the same Attack value.

But I agree that it's nice to finally have a Fast German.

Puma Rating - Whoops; I was looking at the wrong card. (Pak Wagen is 5 & Puma 4) I apologize.

I misspoke when I said the Puma did not fair well against the Tiger & Panther. I meant to say the Russian T-34 & IS 2. (I was researching something else at the time and my brain did not switch over completely. I should have waited to send my comment.)

But you are correct in that I think we are talking about 2 different things. It appears I mistakenly thought you were comparing the 2 different Sd.Kfz. 234 cards. (I should have clarified this first.)
I can see your point in comparing it to the Panzer IV and do not disagree with you on that from a historical point. From a gaming stand point I will have to see.

I'm coming from a point of view of someone who is using Radio Coordinator regularely and I like the additional layer of internal synergy it gives to my tank company. It allows for more elaborate tactics than just teleport a tank and roll dice. Recon as is and Doctrine as a single tank upgrade just seem a wasted opportunity to make the game even better.

I do have to agree that with the Puma it would have been nice to have had a Puma specific radio operator card that allowed it to pass on its initiative to more than one tank. Especially since some Pumas were given extra radios with longer range.

I still think they did a good job on them and I can not wait to get some.
carlisimo  
#30 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2016 7:13:02 PM(UTC)
carlisimo

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I would've been tempted to lump all the 37mm, 40mm (e.g. the British 2-pounder), and 50mm guns together in the Attack 3 "tier". Not so much because of the technical details, which I'm not too familiar with, but because historically they fit into a category of guns that worked early in the war but were not very useful by the middle of it. It'd be intuitive.

It would also differentiate the Panzer III from the IV, if GF9 intends to release mid- or early-war tanks in this game. (Flames of War is going to focus on midwar in the next year, so new plastic tanks that aren't for Team Yankee should be from that era... looks like there'll be an M3 Lee/Grant too - what would you do with a 2-gun tank?)

On the other hand, some quick numbers that I'm finding show the Puma's 50mm to be similar in performance to the T-34/76's gun, which might be on the lower end of the Attack 4 tier, maybe even better at short range with certain ammo (I'm not looking at HEAT or anything, but composite AP shells).

Meanwhile, the PaKwagen did have slightly better muzzle velocity than the Panzer IV's gun.
b0n3  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2016 8:45:14 AM(UTC)
b0n3

I came across this in the latest Wargames Illustrated magazine. The FOW plastic Tiger1 box set will have a limited release promotion. Inside the box (of 5) plastic Tigers will contain a 1 TANKS Tiger card and Wittmann commander card. Interesting approach!

Here is a link to a photo I took from the magazine: https://s13.postimg.org/...9bb/Full_Size_Render.jpg

Tiger 1 promo
Andrew at Tanks HQ  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2016 9:04:47 AM(UTC)
Andrew at Tanks HQ

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 45 post(s)

eaye and ears

Just thought I would point out that the Puma on their site only has two of its five cards spoiled...
thanks 1 user thanked Andrew at Tanks HQ for this useful post.
JagdWehrwolf on 11/1/2016(UTC)
JagdWehrwolf  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2016 11:02:44 PM(UTC)
JagdWehrwolf

Originally Posted by: Andrew at Tanks HQ Go to Quoted Post

Just thought I would point out that the Puma on their site only has two of its five cards spoiled...

And that's how You keep the exciment up! Let me look into my panzer crystal ball...
So with Puma we'll get two out of those three: Quick Thinking (Doctrine), Quick Turn (Engine), Clever Hans (Doctrine) with a freshly spoiled Recon Upgrade. And I'll bet my weeks breakfast that as a Hero we will welcome iconic Panzer Recon Commander, Major Hans von Luck.
Woo-Hoo!!! Roll on mid-November!!!

SmurfWedge  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 1:45:52 AM(UTC)
SmurfWedge

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So looking at a local store here in London and they have the Puma for a release of 12th November.....and the Tiger 1 for release on the 17th December.

All I want for Christmasss is yoouuuu (Tiger)
LordOfKhemri  
#35 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 2:55:57 AM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SmurfWedge Go to Quoted Post

Hmm, Mariah Carey or a Tiger Tank (or two or three).. decisions, decisions

2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
MATRAKA14  
#36 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2016 9:04:24 AM(UTC)
MATRAKA14

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I really dislike how it has the same armour as the is2. ok i get it simplification and all, tiger has 100 mm at 81º ok fine is1 has 120mm with a bit more inclination. But the is2 with 100/120 mm at 60º? same armour same hp? thats a no no for me. One thing is simplification another one is throwing historical accuracy through the window because people really like te tiger and has to sell well.

UserPostedImage
JagdWehrwolf  
#37 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2016 10:27:28 AM(UTC)
JagdWehrwolf

Originally Posted by: MATRAKA14 Go to Quoted Post
I really dislike how it has the same armour as the is2. ok i get it simplification and all, tiger has 100 mm at 81º ok fine is1 has 120mm with a bit more inclination. But the is2 with 100/120 mm at 60º? same armour same hp? thats a no no for me. One thing is simplification another one is throwing historical accuracy through the window because people really like te tiger and has to sell well.

Sensitive much? Mate, it's simplification. Tiger will sell well even with Panzer IV stats.

So looking at a local store here in London and they have the Puma for a release of 12th November.....and the Tiger 1 for release on the 17th December.

And the party is over. If we're talking about the same shop in London (starts with D and ends with Sphere) then they just send me the news:

We're sorry to say that we've been informed by the manufacturer that the Puma Tank Expansion has been delayed. We don't have a firm release date, but are now expecting it towards the end of this month.

Not cool GF9, not cool at all...
Tally - Ho  
#38 Posted : Saturday, November 5, 2016 1:41:36 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Originally Posted by: MATRAKA14 Go to Quoted Post

Sensitive much? Mate, it's simplification. Tiger will sell well even with Panzer IV stats.

And the party is over. If we're talking about the same shop in London (starts with D and ends with Sphere) then they just send me the news:

We're sorry to say that we've been informed by the manufacturer that the Puma Tank Expansion has been delayed. We don't have a firm release date, but are now expecting it towards the end of this month.

Not cool GF9, not cool at all...

Personally I do not see that the armor rating on the Tiger is a big deal. Even if looking at it from a more historical point of view. There is more to consider than armor thickness and angles.

Frankly; I thought the Christmas Tiger would be a miracle anyways. Especially here in the U.S.A..
Had hoped for the Puma though. Sadly; one thing I have come to terms with in WW2 war gaming is that release dates are typically not something you can count on pretty much with any of the companies I deal with.
Maybe it's me?