Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Douglington II  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:32:21 PM(UTC)
Douglington II

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
G'day all,

Just thought i would add to the growing list of first impressions appearing on this forum. To start with a mate and I have only played 4 games total and range from the starter box contents up 100 points so i expect our wisdom on the game is still fresh, however as we all know first impressions can be a major factor in committing to another game.

Game 1 - Starter box contents
This game was over very quickly with a panther facing down two Sherman 75's. While the panther got a good shot on one Sherman it was a lucky critical hit from the other that bailed out the panther and effectively ended the game (repair rolls fail).

The first game taught us two things:
1. Critical hits can be game winners which made them scary.
2. Bigger does not necessarily mean better. The panther hit hard but couldn't withstand the firepower of two Shermans at the same time and eventually ran out of luck with defence dice.

Game 2 - Starter box + 1 tank each
We decided to add a tank each (sherman and Pz IV) and swapped the Panther for a Jagdpanther and added the king of the hill scenario. I won't go into too much detail but a similar display ensued in which the Jagdpanther faced off against 3 Shermans while a Pz Iv tried to flank. The Shermans took the bait on the tank destroyer but simply overwhelmed it before the Pz Iv could get any meaningful shots in. One sherman was knocked out but the two remaining mopped up.

Lessons learned:
1. Faction rules play a huge role in the overall strategy for each force.
2. remaining stationary is only really good if no one shoots back at you.

Game 3 - 100 points 5x Sherman 75's vs 3xPz IV and 3xStuG

This was our first proper 100 point outing and it seemed like we both took what we learned from mass firepower and we only took cheap/effective tanks with little upgrades. The game swung back and forth and revolved heavily around jostling for effective cover and trying to draw each other out. the Shermans proved to be very slippery with their higher initiative and in addition to their Gung Ho rule allowed them to always be in position to attack where they needed but be out of sight at the same time. The StuG gun line in the woods proved extremely effective when they had targets in sight however the Pz IV's attempting to move around the sides usually resulted in the shermans simply hugging LOS blocking cover to open lanes up to the Pz IV's and shut down the StuGs. The Shermans were eventually able to close distance and cause massive headaches for the remaining StuG's and finally the power of speed and weakness of fixed guns took its toll.

Lessons Learned:
1. Initiative is huge when LOS is concerned. Once in the open expensive tanks are sitting ducks to mass firepower, but with some LOS cover they can pick their fights.
2. Placement of fixed guns is very tricky when things get hairy.

Game 4 - 100 points 5x T-34 76's (Racing drivers) VS 3x Pz IV (dead eye gunners) & 2x StuG (precise commanders + Liquid courage).
This game was a whirlwind. Fast tanks...are fast. Long story short this game saw the T-34's charge down their right flank straight towards the Germans and proceeded to create a tank graveyard of both sides tanks in the space of a single woods terrain piece. it was hard to keep up with who was facing where and how to catch the speedy soviet drivers while they were darting amongst their newly created cover.

Lessons learned:
1. Holy moly fast tanks treat that 3x3 table like an Olympian in a kiddy pool.
2. Some upgrades are more useful than others over the space of a game. eg. Racing drivers at 2 points were far more influential than both the dead eye gunners and precise commanders which were more costly.

First impressions
The general consensus between the two of us was very positive. Games are quick, action packed and interestingly tactical. The simplicity of the rules that shadow X-Wing but never quite feel like it once going are a true testament to the designers. It feels much more like a "game" than a historical wargame which depending on your current mood/interests will make or break the game. For myself I have a plethora of historical wargaming rules I already play so this is a great release.

The only concern which many on this forum have pointed out is the movement phase. The rules while admirably simple are a slight disconnect once tanks begin pulling off some crazy hand brake turns and synchronised ballet. It makes the close range bouts messy and odd to behold. Positioning while as technical as the template makes it look is extremely easy to perform to the point of teleporting around, particularly when a second or third movement is considered. This is the only blemish on an otherwise excellent ruleset and it’s a shame it was not stress tested in beta testing as it is going to hold up any kind of competitive players entering the ring until resolved. The game this is similar to both rules wise and product wise is one of the most popular competitive tabletop games in the world at the moment and I see no reason why this can’t gain a good foothold in tournament scenes.

I will continue to play this because it is simply fun. Im enjoying the “new” feel of the game and the opportunity to play a tank game without spending hours and hours of painting and having those pesky infantry types ruining the day. Finally the product model behind this game is one I am a huge fan of. Being an adult who has food to buy, bills to pay and a distinct lack of time these games with expansions that I can pick up once a month and paint in the month leading up to the next purchase is amazing. X wing may have had pre-painted miniatures, but as a diehard wargamer the inclusion of the hobby aspect in this product is a fantastic addition and much appreciated.

I hope I haven’t rambled too much but if the designers do frequent these forums they need to understand this game has potential and should not be simply seen as a ‘gateway drug’ for flames of war.

Cheers.
thanks 2 users thanked Douglington II for this useful post.
Sean at TANKS HQ on 8/12/2016(UTC), WolfBenrath on 8/12/2016(UTC)
Axeman  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 12, 2016 4:39:26 AM(UTC)
Axeman

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Thanks Douglington, I really enjoyed reading your early impressions of the game.

Like you I would not want Tanks to be seen as a gateway to Fow and it is not "FoW lite" either. I would not want to see a straight replication of the abilities that vehicles have in FoW transferred over to Tanks. It is a game in its own right.

Many thanks,
Andy