Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CmdrRook  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 5:11:46 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
According to the official preview article found here, Artillery Observer requires the tank to sacrifice its own shooting to allow an artillery tank to draw line of sight from it. However, this clause is not reflected in the crew card in my hands right now.

Artillery Observer: Global Radio Op - 2pts
Once per turn a stationary tank with the Artillery keyword may draw its line of sight from this tank instead of itself when shooting.

So is the card missing something, or is the article reflecting some prototype card that no longer exists?
LordOfKhemri  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 5:37:20 AM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Shakes head in despair, either way that's poor proof reading.
2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
CmdrRook  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 6:01:10 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Also no part of that card's ability specifies that the stationary Artillery tank must be friendly. Compare to

Platoon Coordinator: Global Radio Op - 3pts
Friendly stationary tanks within Close Range of this tank gain +1 Initiative in the Shooting Phase.

Both cards are from the same set, same position, same support role.
Dr Large  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 9:05:41 AM(UTC)
Dr Large

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I do find it amusing your opponent can borrow your OP vehicle, very civil and gentlemanly.
Suppose you could also combine it with smoke rounds and start flinging those randomly around
JTSleep  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 5:20:31 PM(UTC)
JTSleep

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Interesting thing... I think that they dropped rule that OP tank must sacrifice its attack to home artillery. Since only artillery tank so far has attack only 3, it would be nonsence to sacrifice for example other Pz IV with att 4 (or basically any other tank, because att 3 is the lowest so far).
Truth! Freedom! Justice! And a hard-boiled egg!
Andrew at Tanks HQ  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 10:19:42 AM(UTC)
Andrew at Tanks HQ

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 45 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CmdrRook Go to Quoted Post
According to the official preview article found here, Artillery Observer requires the tank to sacrifice its own shooting to allow an artillery tank to draw line of sight from it. However, this clause is not reflected in the crew card in my hands right now.

Once per turn a stationary tank with the Artillery keyword may draw its line of sight from this tank instead of itself when shooting.

So is the card missing something, or is the article reflecting some prototype card that no longer exists?

Yes playtesting showed that the Observer needed a change and we changed it.

On a side note, it only works for tanks in its own platoon, opposing tanks with artillery cannot use it.
CmdrRook  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 31, 2017 7:05:35 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Originally Posted by: JTSleep Go to Quoted Post
Interesting thing... I think that they dropped rule that OP tank must sacrifice its attack to home artillery. Since only artillery tank so far has attack only 3, it would be nonsence to sacrifice for example other Pz IV with att 4 (or basically any other tank, because att 3 is the lowest so far).

This list might change your mind.

Edit to explain: the radio coordinators are stand ins for the Artillery Observers, and the two spare points are for the second Tungsten shell that the builder won't let you equip.

Edited by user Monday, July 31, 2017 7:08:12 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarification.

Tally - Ho  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 2:38:40 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andrew at Tanks HQ Go to Quoted Post

Yes playtesting showed that the Observer needed a change and we changed it.

On a side note, it only works for tanks in its own platoon, opposing tanks with artillery cannot use it.

Wait; you mean that enemy tanks can not use the opposing units cards / special abilities against them; even if it does not clearly say so on the card? I am shocked; shocked I say.

P.S. I am glad you changed the card from the original one in the preview. Although the original card may have been more accurate in regards to OP units typically not having the ability to shoot; in reviewing the card it did seem to me that the cost vs. benefit was not great. (Course I never actually tried using the original.)

Edited by user Tuesday, August 1, 2017 2:42:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CmdrRook  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 4:49:01 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

I too am shocked that a card that went to print was not consistently worded in accordance with other cards in the set, Tally.
Zerstorer  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 4:57:19 AM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Also no part of that card's ability specifies that the stationary Artillery tank must be friendly. Compare to

Platoon Coordinator: Global Radio Op - 3pts
Friendly stationary tanks within Close Range of this tank gain +1 Initiative in the Shooting Phase.

Both cards are from the same set, same position, same support role.

While the word friendly should be added to the card, the interpretation that an enemy tank could use your observer is really just stupid. If I were faced with this in a game, then I would simply pack up and move on to a more enjoyable game with a reasonable and gentlemanly opponent.
thanks 1 user thanked Zerstorer for this useful post.
Tally - Ho on 8/1/2017(UTC)
Tally - Ho  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 5:12:45 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I too am shocked that a card that went to print was not consistently worded in accordance with other cards in the set, Tally.

I was actually trying to be funny. I am with Zerstorer on this. If they need to make a provision for every little innuendo and have to clarify the obvious; then the cards would end up being huge. Frankly the fact that all the cards are not consistently worded has never bothered me.

CmdrRook  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 1, 2017 5:23:32 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

I'm in total agreement that not every rule needs a special provision, and that the reasonable interpretation is and always will be that your opponent doesn't utilize your upgrades. Choosing to specify on some cards and not others adds ambiguity and I would much rather every card not specify who utilizes the abilities than only some.