Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CmdrRook  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 16, 2017 7:17:49 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Brits got some really cool toys in the desert expansions, but I have a question about two specific cards.

LRDG Advisor: 3pts - British Crewman
+1 Initiative. At the beginning of the game, immediately after deployment, this tank may make up to two moves.

Magician on Board: 5pts - British Doctrine
After deployment, this tank may redeploy. At the start of each turn, choose to gain either +2 Initiative in the Movement or Shooting Phase.

My question is this:
After all tanks are deployed, does this tank move twice and then redeploy if it wants? If so, does it get to move twice via LRDG Advisor again?
Axeman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 16, 2017 9:52:33 PM(UTC)
Axeman

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I would think that all the deployment (and redeployment) happens then movement happens, so I would say no.
CmdrRook  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 12:32:59 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Both the movement and redeploy ability say "after movement," but the movement ability also adds "immediately," so is presume you are forced to resolve it before redeployment.
Axeman  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 2:08:57 AM(UTC)
Axeman

They both say "after deployment" not after movement, but regardless of this it makes no sense to make two free moves and then redeploy as there is no point to it.
CmdrRook  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 3:09:16 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Right you are, after Deployment was my intention. Depending on initiative order, if you are facing another British Force with either of the above cards, or Zinovy Kolovonov, or Dr. Franz Bake, all of which make post-deployment moves, you could influence their move then redeploy, or respond to their advance.
Sean at TANKS HQ  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2017 11:23:52 AM(UTC)
Sean at TANKS HQ

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 83 post(s)
An interesting combo to be sure. That tank could be anywhere!

Both upgrades trigger 'after deployment' in the order you choose. As for competing tanks with similar abilities, I would activate each by movement initiative.
thanks 1 user thanked Sean at TANKS HQ for this useful post.
CmdrRook on 7/18/2017(UTC)
CmdrRook  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 1:33:57 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Originally Posted by: Sean at TANKS HQ Go to Quoted Post

Both upgrades trigger 'after deployment' in the order you choose. As for competing tanks with similar abilities, I would activate each by movement initiative.

So if you bring both, you may choose to redeploy and then move twice, or move twice before redeploying. Interesting. The take away is that you resolve all of the tank's abilities before moving on to the next initiative tank each phase, because there is no advanced timing mechanics like in MTG.
Axeman  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 4:10:18 AM(UTC)
Axeman

But "redeploy" means that you just move back to somewhere in the redeployment zone so there is no point in doing this after two "free" moves is there?
CmdrRook  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 5:24:35 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Not a point that becomes immediately apparent, but in the future, who knows?
Sean at TANKS HQ  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 10:47:53 AM(UTC)
Sean at TANKS HQ

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Axeman Go to Quoted Post
But "redeploy" means that you just move back to somewhere in the redeployment zone so there is no point in doing this after two "free" moves is there?

This is correct.
Chargers  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 11:19:24 AM(UTC)
Chargers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CmdrRook Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Sean at TANKS HQ Go to Quoted Post

So if you bring both, you may choose to redeploy and then move twice, or move twice before redeploying. Interesting. The take away is that you resolve all of the tank's abilities before moving on to the next initiative tank each phase, because there is no advanced timing mechanics like in MTG.

Are you suggesting that after your Init 7 tank deploys you would immediately redeploy it and move two before any Init 8 tanks is deployed?
* If so, that doesn't sound right to me. I would think you redeploy after all tanks of all Init's have deployed.
* If not, and I misunderstood your post, sorry.

1000cc of testosterone
CmdrRook  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 11:49:52 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

I think the latter is true, and I apologize for being unclear. Deployment is a phase, and only after it would these abilities trigger, but when they did, the init 7 tank would do its thing before moving on to the init 8.
ElGentleman  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2017 4:51:21 AM(UTC)
ElGentleman

I think the latter is true, and I apologize for being unclear. Deployment is a phase, and only after it would these abilities trigger, but when they did, the init 7 tank would do its thing before moving on to the init 8.

If deployment is a phase, which needs to end for the redeployment doctrine to trigger, wouldn't the 'at the beginning of the game' clause on the crew prevent it triggering at this second redeployment stage?
CmdrRook  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2017 3:24:32 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Not sure I understand the question, gentleman, but I'd like to. Could you try phrasing it another way?
ElGentleman  
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 6:51:27 AM(UTC)
ElGentleman

Not sure I understand the question, gentleman, but I'd like to. Could you try phrasing it another way?

Hi Commander, I'll give it a go. Possibly because I've come from mtg and x-wing, I'm making it way too complicated!

LRDG Advisor: 3pts - British Crewman
+1 Initiative. At the beginning of the game, immediately after deployment, this tank may make up to two moves.

Magician on Board: 5pts - British Doctrine
After deployment, this tank may redeploy. At the start of each turn, choose to gain either +2 Initiative in the Movement or Shooting Phase

So if I redeploy with the magician (either using LRDG before or not using it, doesn't matter), what I mean is, because it happens after deployment, not at the end of it, have I ended the deployment phase and started a second self-contained one tank deployment phase? And if so, then it's not "the beginning of the game, immediately after deployment". It's now ever so slightly into the game after weird second deployment.

And separately, would the LRDG have to trigger before magician because of the "immediately" wording, if it's all happening in the same phase? Which if it's all the same phase means LRDG wouldn't get to trigger again after magician because it's already "after deployment" and you are only redeploying a tank, not reactivating the timing of the phase?

Either way I don't see LRDG working after magician. But correct me if I'm wrong. Cheers
CmdrRook  
#16 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 12:44:31 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

That's a reasonable take-away, and if it were any other game, that's how I'd expect it to work. Sean has already clarified:
"Both upgrades trigger 'after deployment' in the order you choose. As for competing tanks with similar abilities, I would activate each by movement initiative."

This means that the "immediate" qualifier is redundant, simply reminding you that it happens before movement. Similar redundancies are found in cards like Dr. Franz Bake, who says to make a "normal" move at the start of the game.