Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Hans213  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:05:53 PM(UTC)
Hans213

I'm a FOW player with lots of tanks.

Now I want to play this new game with a platoon of the same tanks.

Is it handy to buy say five starter sets, so I can make almost every platoon?
Or just copy the needed cards from one starter set?

Edited by user Wednesday, September 28, 2016 5:24:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

"Klagt nicht, kämpft!"
Es gibt viel zu tun, packen wir´s an.
=> YouTube <=
shifty33  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2016 6:39:16 PM(UTC)
shifty33

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
As long as u don't go to any op events I can't see a problem with copying them.
TankMaster2000  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2016 10:39:55 PM(UTC)
TankMaster2000

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The offical op guide says you have use offical flames of war or gf9 tank models and offical TANKS cards in their offical events.

That being said, what you do in your own games is up to you.

Here is the quote,

"Players need to bring their GF9 TANKS models, damage deck, tokens, terrain as well the TANKS cards for each tank, upgrade or crew member in their force. They will also need to bring some dice.
Organisers may allow the use Flames of War metal and resin tanks as long as the players have the cards needed to use the tank in the game. If a player is using a Flames of War metal and resin tank like a Panther, then they will need to have the corresponding Panther TANKS card to use with the tank."

Edited by user Wednesday, September 28, 2016 10:46:37 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked TankMaster2000 for this useful post.
Hans213 on 9/28/2016(UTC)
Tiepilot1138  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2016 11:53:53 PM(UTC)
Tiepilot1138

You found 5 starters? I'm still waiting to find my first!

Though seriously, if you already have a bunch of FoW tanks, buying the starters is going to give you a bunch of models you likely don't need. There is a pack of cards coming out (eventually), so that may help with this problem. I don't know what's in that pack yet, whether it be just the tanks themselves, or the crew cards as well.
Hans213  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2016 12:54:00 AM(UTC)
Hans213

Originally Posted by: Tiepilot1138 Go to Quoted Post
There is a pack of cards coming out (eventually), so that may help with this problem. I don't know what's in that pack yet, whether it be just the tanks themselves, or the crew cards as well.
I hope both, tank cards and crew cards.
"Klagt nicht, kämpft!"
=> YouTube <=
LordOfKhemri  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2016 12:58:17 AM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
I have 10 T34s from FoW (bought after Tanks started as I wanted some before the expansions came out) and one "real" tanks one to get the hero.
As I have 2 starters (sorry America) I have 3 T34 cards.

If I want to deploy 4 T34s I would be mightly jarred off if I was told I couldn't because I didn't have a card for each T34.
2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
Whizzwang  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2016 2:13:37 AM(UTC)
Whizzwang

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LordOfKhemri Go to Quoted Post

If I want to deploy 4 T34s I would be mightly jarred off if I was told I couldn't because I didn't have a card for each T34.

That's the way OP works in pretty much any game - official and complete items to play. Be fair though, at 18 quid for a starter it's not exactly breaking the bank to get the extras and if TANKS is anything like any other game I play you can generally find someone to lend you a card for an event
Tiepilot1138  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2016 3:06:51 AM(UTC)
Tiepilot1138

Originally Posted by: Whizzwang Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: LordOfKhemri Go to Quoted Post

That's the way OP works in pretty much any game - official and complete items to play. Be fair though, at 18 quid for a starter it's not exactly breaking the bank to get the extras and if TANKS is anything like any other game I play you can generally find someone to lend you a card for an event

I think this will be a bit of a shock for people who haven't played collectible games before. Games like Heroclix, X-Wing and the like have been that way forever, but if you're coming to this from FoW (or something similar), the cards could be a new concept. Heroclix (while a completely different game) allowed players to print off copies of the cards, as long as you had the actual figure. X-Wing, Armada, Imperial Assault and the like are pay-to-play, you need the cards, so you have to buy the ships or figures. I may have 4 X-wings, but if I want to put that special missile or astromech on it, I need the card that came with the A-wing that I might not ever use.

This looks to be closely following those examples, where every new model comes with new cards, and if you want to run multiples, you need multiple copies of whichever cards you want to use. So if you want to run 5 Panzer IV's, you probably need to buy 5 of them to get the cards (even if you have a bunch of actual tanks already).

This is obviously a problem if they can't keep stock on the shelves...
SirClash  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 29, 2016 7:39:59 PM(UTC)
SirClash

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Personally, I would rather let people print any cards they need as long as they have at least one original. I mean, right now I would have to buy at least two other starters just because of cards, while in our whole country there were only five starters on one eshop. How can we get new players, when tournament rules encourage stockpiling on starters? Please, don't buy starters if you have one already, there are thousands of people waiting for their first.
thanks 1 user thanked SirClash for this useful post.
Tiepilot1138 on 9/30/2016(UTC)
Ed  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 3, 2016 2:27:39 PM(UTC)
Ed

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
If I were to guess, I'd say the new card decks that are on pre-order are duplicates of existing TANKS cards (and hopefully some on the drawing board) so FOW metal and resin models can be used in OP games.
Hans213  
#11 Posted : Monday, October 3, 2016 6:26:05 PM(UTC)
Hans213

Originally Posted by: Ed Go to Quoted Post
If I were to guess, I'd say the new card decks that are on pre-order are duplicates of existing TANKS cards (and hopefully some on the drawing board) so FOW metal and resin models can be used in OP games.

Do you mean the new doctrine upgrade cards? Or are there other new card decks? Link please?
"Klagt nicht, kämpft!"
=> YouTube <=
Hans213  
#12 Posted : Saturday, October 8, 2016 12:15:53 AM(UTC)
Hans213

Originally Posted by: Hans213 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Ed Go to Quoted Post

Do you mean the new doctrine upgrade cards? Or are there other new card decks? Link please?
I found it, link: TANKS: Card Deck (80) GF9TANKS21
"Klagt nicht, kämpft!"
=> YouTube <=
Tally - Ho  
#13 Posted : Saturday, October 8, 2016 2:38:41 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I actually contacted that store to ask for more info and they said they did not know what would be in the deck.
They said that they had not gotten any new information as yet.
That was 2 days ago.
thanks 1 user thanked Tally - Ho for this useful post.
Hans213 on 10/8/2016(UTC)
Chris at Tanks HQ  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2016 9:04:27 AM(UTC)
Chris at Tanks HQ

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tally - Ho Go to Quoted Post
I actually contacted that store to ask for more info and they said they did not know what would be in the deck.
That was 2 days ago.

Hi guys, the card deck was something discussed during the early days of development of TANKS but was pulled from the product range before the game was released.

It should not be lurking around as a pre-order with stores.

Chris

Tally - Ho  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2016 9:57:19 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Originally Posted by: Chris at Tanks HQ Go to Quoted Post
That was 2 days ago.

Hi guys, the card deck was something discussed during the early days of development of TANKS but was pulled from the product range before the game was released.

Chris

I had suspected.
Tiepilot1138  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, October 11, 2016 12:13:56 PM(UTC)
Tiepilot1138

It's lurking pretty much everywhere. Most of the online shops I deal with have it listed, as well as the distributor my LGS uses.
Tally - Ho  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:43:53 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Originally Posted by: Chris at Tanks HQ Go to Quoted Post
That was 2 days ago.

Chris

Chris;
Just so I can have a clear understanding about this phantom card deck;
1. There is no Tanks card deck of any kind that is coming soon to stores / distibutors?

2. There are no plans to create a card deck for the game at this time nor in say the next 6 months?
Axeman  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 7:59:35 AM(UTC)
Axeman

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
It would not make financial sense for GF9 to issue a deck of new tank cards or duplicates of the upgrade/crew cards in the starter set. The tank cards will surely be issued one by one as new plastic tanks are produced. Selling just a deck of cards will not generate much profit but selling them with a model i.e. the X-Wing Miniatures method keeps sales going and keeps the game alive as new tanks are slowly and gradually released.

Small but regular releases of new models and cards means the X-Wing game is constantly changing and keeps it fresh. I would expect TANKS to follow the same route.
Tiepilot1138  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 12:09:51 PM(UTC)
Tiepilot1138

Originally Posted by: Axeman Go to Quoted Post
It would not make financial sense for GF9 to issue a deck of new tank cards or duplicates of the upgrade/crew cards in the starter set. The tank cards will surely be issued one by one as new plastic tanks are produced. Selling just a deck of cards will not generate much profit but selling them with a model i.e. the X-Wing Miniatures method keeps sales going and keeps the game alive as new tanks are slowly and gradually released.

Small but regular releases of new models and cards means the X-Wing game is constantly changing and keeps it fresh. I would expect TANKS to follow the same route.

That makes sense as long as models keep coming. Right now they are tied to Battlefront's plastic releases. There are a couple more they haven't released yet (like the M10 Wolverine), but that is going to dry up pretty fast. X-Wing has models coming out every couple months, it seems.

I think a reasonable compromise would be to release cards for the tanks in the Battlefront line, and hold off on new equipment and hero cards for the individual packs, that way players are still compelled to buy them as the come out. There are likely a whole bunch of tanks that people want to play with that we won't see for quite some time if they aren't popular enough for Battlefront to expedite a plastic model.
Tally - Ho  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2016 1:47:37 PM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Originally Posted by: Axeman Go to Quoted Post

I am not sure I agree with the premise that it would not make sense financially to release a card deck. I can not imagine it costs all that much to print the cards. Especially because they already have the processes in place. I think it would be more a question of demand. Although to be fair; the low cost of the starter game does make it less necessary at this time.

At this point I am fine without there being one. I just want to know for certain if one will be forthcoming in the near future. If there are no plans to make one in the next year I am fine with that as well. I do not need a card pack I just want to put the rumors to rest so I can stop searching for it.

I do like what they are currently doing with the expansion packs.