Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fernando  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2016 5:26:55 AM(UTC)
Fernando

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I've read the rules and I like very much the sistem bit there is one rule which I don't like... Final Fury in the 13 page. This rule allow fire one Tank which have lost all Damage points in this turn before to be withdraw from the game. This does the iniciative value go down, It is useful in the movement phase only and I would like that shoot first was important too.
What do You think?
actionmackie  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2016 8:02:06 AM(UTC)
actionmackie

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Was thinking about this earlier. Think initiative isn't as important in shooting as in X Wing or Attack wing. In those games ships are destroyed immediately unless the shooting and defending ship have equal initiative where it remains until all ships of the same initiative have shot.

The good point about shooting first is that you might inflict a critical hit and although the defending tank will not be destroyed until the command phase the special effect takes effect immediately which could render it unable to counter attack.
thanks 1 user thanked actionmackie for this useful post.
Fernando on 3/21/2016(UTC)
Sean at TANKS HQ  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2016 8:08:31 AM(UTC)
Sean at TANKS HQ

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: actionmackie Go to Quoted Post
The good point about shooting first is that you might inflict a critical hit and although the defending tank will not be destroyed until the command phase the special effect takes effect immediately which could render it unable to counter attack.

Actionmackie has it.
You want those tasty Criticals. I know we haven't shown off the Critical Damage deck yet, but there are a couple of cards in there that will definitely help a tank that shoots first.
thanks 1 user thanked Sean at TANKS HQ for this useful post.
actionmackie  
#4 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2016 8:14:30 AM(UTC)
actionmackie

Saw the Bailout card on the Beasts of War weekend and that's a perfect example.
thanks 1 user thanked actionmackie for this useful post.
Fernando  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 21, 2016 9:41:45 AM(UTC)
Fernando

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Ok, thanks. The critical efects are a good reason for shooting first 😉
shifty33  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 6:43:14 PM(UTC)
shifty33

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I think with the current final fury rule u will run into a problem with just tank swarms. Cause as of right now I can see a reason why I would just take 5-6 Sherman or panzer 4 andaube one of them in each being upgraded. As far as u can tell the game will come down to who throws more dice and who has more hull on the field.
Bane  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 6:54:21 PM(UTC)
Bane

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I have the same fear, but I'll wait until I've seen the full Damage Deck and the possibilities of Upgrade Cards.

Right now I don't like the Final Fury Rule either - and also I'am not sure about the 360 degrees Firing Arc - one of the strenghts of X-Wing is the maneuvering which itselfs represents a Dogfight - where you try to catch your enemy from behind (or frontal) without staying in his firing arc too much.

At the Moment I'am thinking of a Stug-Swarm with 6x StuGs (90 Points - so 10 points for Upgrades) - one downside here is that you have to consider the firing lanes/arcs carefully. Other possibles Swarms T-34/85 4x or 5x T-34 - or 5x Shermans ...
shifty33  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 7:02:29 PM(UTC)
shifty33

I think the stuff or any non turret swarm with just be useless. Mainly cause they have such a narrow firing lane and all non turret tanks are what below int 3 so non of them will ever move after a turret tank
For this I think non turret tanks will just never be played.

And even if the damage deck say is half they don't get to shoot this turn I think swarms will rule cause they still will get to shoot and do dage be for they die. Just sitting at my table rolling Dice in different senerios the side with more tanks won 8 out of 10 times. Now I'm hoping I'm wrong but I'm not see how that will change unless u u get some crazy crew abilities.

Like the british rerolls on there 15pts tank is crazy they get 6 tanks and 10 pts left over for upgrades or even 5 Sherman and 1 fire fly and still 4 pts let over for crew is very very good that's 25 attack and 26 hp on the table for the British and they all have rerolls if they don't move so so so good I think that will be the swarm to beat. Now this is in a 100 point game. I think this will be the average points.

But we will see I could be completely wrong when the crew and upgrades and dage deck come out lol.

Edited by user Thursday, March 31, 2016 7:04:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

StealthWolf84  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:16:31 PM(UTC)
StealthWolf84

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shifty33 Go to Quoted Post
I think the stuff or any non turret swarm with just be useless. Mainly cause they have such a narrow firing lane and all non turret tanks are what below int 3 so non of them will ever move after a turret tank

And even if the damage deck say is half they don't get to shoot this turn I think swarms will rule cause they still will get to shoot and do dage be for they die. Just sitting at my table rolling Dice in different senerios the side with more tanks won 8 out of 10 times. Now I'm hoping I'm wrong but I'm not see how that will change unless u u get some crazy crew abilities.

Like the british rerolls on there 15pts tank is crazy they get 6 tanks and 10 pts left over for upgrades or even 5 Sherman and 1 fire fly and still 4 pts let over for crew is very very good that's 25 attack and 26 hp on the table for the British and they all have rerolls if they don't move so so so good I think that will be the swarm to beat. Now this is in a 100 point game. I think this will be the average points.

But we will see I could be completely wrong when the crew and upgrades and dage deck come out lol.

Assault guns can fire in their frontal sector, 180° arc does not suck so much... ;)

For the rest you said, I hope you're wrong. I just HOPE so.
I quit playing FoW because, playing german PzKomp, I've almost always being outnumbered, and I always saw that quantity is much easier to play against quality. My Tiger I costed A LOT of points, just to fire 2 dice per turn, and you can still have bad rolls, and they can still roll 6 for armour save, and then you can fail firepower roll... a soviet can use...how many T70s? how many KVs? once I played with a guy using 150(yes, 150) infantry bases. a wall of flesh. And he won games, against me and against very well rounded armies. I simply hate this.
If TANKS will reveal this fault, I'll quit the game. But I strongly hope it won't. :)

Edited by user Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:22:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: grammar

shifty33  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:42:14 PM(UTC)
shifty33

Originally Posted by: StealthWolf84 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: shifty33 Go to Quoted Post

Assault guns can fire in their frontal sector, 180° arc does not suck so much... ;)

For the rest you said, I hope you're wrong. I just HOPE so.
I quit playing FoW because, playing german PzKomp, I've almost always being outnumbered, and I always saw that quantity is much easier to play against quality. My Tiger I costed A LOT of points, just to fire 2 dice per turn, and you can still have bad rolls, and they can still roll 6 for armour save, and then you can fail firepower roll... a soviet can use...how many T70s? how many KVs? once I played with a guy using 210 (yes, 210) infantry bases. a wall of flesh. And he won games, against me and against very well rounded armies. I simply hate this.
If TANKS will reveal this fault, I'll quit the game. But I strongly hope it won't. :)

yea i saw they can lol it helps but i think the lack of any mid to high int tanks now this could change with crew but i think the assualt gun with struggle. but i think the swarm will rule is its a dice game and i have noticed in alot of dice games who ever can throw more will win. and it seems to be u will throw more attack dice then def dice 90% of the time.

now lets take the starter per say so u have a panther that is 7 5 2 6 and the Sherman which is 5 4 1 4.

now lets put them into a open field vs each other so each will have +0 to evade
now i will be useing .5 results cause over time the .5 should even out.
so panther shoots first rolls 5 attack get 2.5 hits Sherman roll evade gets .5 so first Sherman takes 2 damage putting him to 2

Sherman shoot back now im gunna assume both shermans are staying still so each will get to shoot 4 dice so each will net 2 hits and 2 blanks now since the brits have rerolls they can reroll so they save 1 dice and reroll the other 3 which should net them another 1.5 hits so it turns to be 3.5 now the panther gets his 2 def. which should be 1 so the panther takes 2.5 damage from each sherman so should be 5 damage over all but lets say 4 just to help the panther out.

turn 2
same as turn 1 but one sherman will die and so will the panther cause with how the fury is both Sherman will get to fire. so in the end the swarm wins. and all i see is this getting worse once u get to higher points imagine 3 panthers vs 5 shermans and 1 firefly. i found in the starter set the only time the panther won in are games is if the panther one shotted a sherman and i was assuming crits were 2 damage just for easy sake.

now i get the crits can make a difference but i think that will only help the Sherman as the panther is throwing 5 dice and the shermans will be throwing 8 and rerolling 6 of them so a much much higher chance of getting 6s and this only gets better once u add more tanks on mass.

this is just my inital thoughts i could be easily wrong and i hope i am. i would love to see swarms and ace pack of tanks both being viable and fun to play. and i think changing the fury to fire like x-wing would help solve this problem means the high int for the panthers means they can kill tanks befor they get to fire and which will make them i think have a chance in fighting the swarm.

actionmackie  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 9:19:02 PM(UTC)
actionmackie

In X Wing a Tie Swarm was very deadly for a player who knew how to move them. A cheap Sherman swarm would be easier to use as movement is more free. Looking forward to playing with the game meta and watching it develop, seeing peoples power play lists but hoping things will eventually balance out, in GF9 we trust.
nixon187  
#12 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2016 1:57:38 AM(UTC)
nixon187

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: actionmackie Go to Quoted Post
In X Wing a Tie Swarm was very deadly for a player who knew how to move them. A cheap Sherman swarm would be easier to use as movement is more free. Looking forward to playing with the game meta and watching it develop, seeing peoples power play lists but hoping things will eventually balance out, in GF9 we trust.

Thats what i am hoping for too.

The game is fairly new so give it a shot.
We also dont know the full damage and upgrade cards, so maybe they will give the game a twist.
Final fury is alright because why should i take then a low initiative tank over a high one!?

The problem i see is within the community. Some players are interested in historical ww2 games, but tanks wont offer this. Its a small scaled skirmish game with easy and fast to learn rules.
Dont get me wrong, i am concerned too that the rules are too easy. I like complex tabletops. But i think getting somne house rules for the first edition is the way to go.
E.g. the tanks in ruins rule displayed on the forum: Its a rule not written in the rule book but fits in great into the rules of tanks.
XWing didnt become the game its today on day 1, so heads up. ;)

thanks 1 user thanked nixon187 for this useful post.
actionmackie on 4/1/2016(UTC)
actionmackie  
#13 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2016 2:51:38 AM(UTC)
actionmackie

Spot on nixon187

Easy rules don't really matter, it's the gameplay and the tactical choices that the rules provide that are important, that's what will make the game hopefully
rcshield  
#14 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2016 8:20:38 AM(UTC)
rcshield

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I feel that the simplicity of the rules is not a major problem. I actually find that a bonus. I do however have friends that like more complex table top games that strive to be more "accurate". It is the tactical side of things, the interplay between cards, upgrades, and synergies that make the game. I would welcome additional rules that help address balance but until the game has some community shelf life it is hard to see what is really needs fixing. One of the things I have appreciated about X wing is the addition of a single upgrade card can have a major effect on a ship and game balance. I hope Tanks follows the same path. Just my two cents.
Carlson793  
#15 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2016 9:58:04 AM(UTC)
Carlson793

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 52 post(s)
With all the other war games I've got going, one that I can pick up and play quickly, both learning and time-at-table, but still get the feeling of a 'big battle' will be a welcome change. If anything, it'll be great to have a game handy where I'm spending more time moving models and rolling dice than going 'now what does that model/rule do?'.