Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CmdrRook  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 24, 2017 10:36:16 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Platoon Builder Link

The Priest is already exceptionally good. At twelve points, it functions as a Sherman 75mm that can shoot over other tanks. Add in Carlos Hayden and you have a 76mm that can shoot over buildings without a Spotter. Now, as astoundingly over-powered as that is, it isn't an end-all be-all strategy unto itself, so we're going to rig up some Stuarts to spot for our Priests (in case of forests, bocage, and the like) and provide some support. The Initiative isn't great for Stuarts, but 9 on the move and 8 in shooting should give them some opportunities to declaw larger threats with Smoke. If not, the ammo is an excellent first candidate for Detroit's Finest re-rolls!

Can we talk for a quick moment about how little sense the name "Detroit's Finest' makes for this Crew? Aside from being the name of a modern day restaurant, "city name's" finest historically refers to its metropolitan first responders, typically their police force. As a driver card, that might be a stretch to presume police are suitable combat drivers, but Motor City makes noteworthy car parts, not car drivers. The flavor text seems to confirm by referencing the tank, saying that you can use just about anything to fix them. It's possible the driver and source of the quote was a factory worker in civilian life, a common story in WWII, but that makes the naming choice even more confusing. I personally think the card makes more sense as "Detroit Steel," an engine, armor, or doctrine card that confers the same benefits, allowing you to discard the card itself for its effect, as may have originally been the intention (misprinted as a Driver Upgrade rather than Crew). Anyway-

The goal is to keep the two Artillery tanks together and safely hidden behind a building or similar los-blocking terrain; don't be ashamed to let Carlos use one of the Observers to get his shot. Focus on keeping him still for that sweet, sweet 5 attack dice, and use Artillerist and Precise instead of Stationary Reroll whenever possible. If the enemy closes or flanks one side of the assault guns, move the closer of the two behind the other, facing the threat, to break LoS. Remember that you don't need an observer to shoot over a living tank, and Carlos can shoot through destroyed tanks, so if you're down to one observer, let Jailbird use it.

I was able to route a T34-85 and IS-2 loaded to the gills with this list and these tactics in a head to head fight. Perhaps you'll have some luck with or against it now that these tanks and upgrades become more common and better understood.
Kelvin  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 24, 2017 11:32:42 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 17 post(s)
As far as detroits finest goes, maybe a lot of tanks were produced there in the Ford factories? I don't know for definate but I'm sure I once heard something along those lines.
Kelvin Griffiths, Attack Wing Captain, Lord Of Rings Hero and Tank Commander. Sort of...
CmdrRook  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 25, 2017 2:59:56 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
That's what I'm thinking. An upgrade makes a bit more sense than a crew. However, they may have wanted to avoid stacking the abilities with other driver abilities.
Kelvin  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 25, 2017 3:28:15 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 17 post(s)
That does sound likely. Nothing worse than a dirty OP unit.
Kelvin Griffiths, Attack Wing Captain, Lord Of Rings Hero and Tank Commander. Sort of...