Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ranger74  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 28, 2017 3:58:45 PM(UTC)
Ranger74

So... me being me I borrowed from my approach with my Warhammer 40K Miniatures "If the model did good in a game, it gets a paint job."

Only problem is... all my Tanks Miniatures are fully painted.

The solution... I've taken to painting small flags on cut out pieces of paper towel and then gluing them, draped over the hull of the tank in areas they fit.

Dear sweet lord... thus far, the British and Soviet flags are fairly easy. German flag... a little more difficult. But the American flag. Painting 48 "stars" has been a learning experience.
Screamin' Eagle  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 29, 2017 4:04:08 AM(UTC)
Screamin' Eagle

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I picked up some very nice decal flags I-94 Enterprises. Once they are placed and set with MicroSol, they look great and lay down very realistically.
Ranger74  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 29, 2017 6:15:35 PM(UTC)
Ranger74

Originally Posted by: Screamin' Go to Quoted Post
I picked up some very nice decal flags I-94 Enterprises. Once they are placed and set with MicroSol, they look great and lay down very realistically.

Unfortunately... whenever I attempt decals, it looks like an infant tried to apply thin in hurricane force winds. They look terrible.
Screamin' Eagle  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 30, 2017 3:01:31 AM(UTC)
Screamin' Eagle

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The approach I use is to lightly moisten the area where the decal is to be placed, use a soft moist paintbrush to position it, blot from the side with a piece of paper towel to clear excess moisture, and then put a small dab of setting solution on it from a glass ball applicator. Setting solution is always cut to 50% with distilled water, as I find the full strength stuff a bit potent. Once the whole area sets and dries, a second drop of setting solution is applied. The good news is there are a bunch of flags on the decal sheet, so if you mess one up, it's nbd. Just pull it and take another shot.
Ranger74  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 30, 2017 5:57:54 PM(UTC)
Ranger74

I kind of like the "real fabric" look I get from hand paining on the paper towel. It just seems a bit more personal to me. Like I've put a bit of my heart and soul into it. That being said, I have nothing against decals, I think they can look amazing when used properly. I just don't think the decal route is for me, I do appreciate your advice and will probably use it for my kids.
Zerstorer  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 30, 2017 6:07:57 PM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ranger74 Go to Quoted Post
I kind of like the "real fabric" look I get from hand paining on the paper towel. It just seems a bit more personal to me. Like I've put a bit of my heart and soul into it. That being said, I have nothing against decals, I think they can look amazing when used properly. I just don't think the decal route is for me, I do appreciate your advice and will probably use it for my kids.

I also like using lead foil....primed then painted. I use the foil I get from opening a wine bottle!

Ranger74  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 30, 2017 6:17:30 PM(UTC)
Ranger74

After today's matches, I have some Panzer III's and a Panzer IV that need some flags.