Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bgongon  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 29, 2017 8:03:06 AM(UTC)
Bgongon

I might be interested in making a card for the Pz. III N for TANKS when I get some Pz. IIIs. The short 75mm looks like is included on the sprues and I think the N variant was sometimes used to give close support to heavier tanks such as tigers. I know the attack characteristics would be no different than the Pz. IV (short), but I was wondering if the fact it now has artillery would make it cost more than the Pz. III (short). If so how many points would the artillery keyword be worth? Might need to know for my Brummbar card too.
Zerstorer  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 29, 2017 12:43:02 PM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bgongon Go to Quoted Post
I might be interested in making a card for the Pz. III N for TANKS when I get some Pz. IIIs. The short 75mm looks like is included on the sprues and I think the N variant was sometimes used to give close support to heavier tanks such as tigers. I know the attack characteristics would be no different than the Pz. IV (short), but I was wondering if the fact it now has artillery would make it cost more than the Pz. III (short). If so how many points would the artillery keyword be worth? Might need to know for my Brummbar card too.

Besides the artillery keyword, I also would be interested in the number of hit points to give the N. In the new cards, the short and long-barreled Panzer III are given 4 hit points....but are they meant to represent the Panzer IIIj and earlier? The Panzer IIIL and N, iirc, had 20mm of armor added to the front glacis...and it was these versions of the Panzer III that were used in the early Tiger battalions. These models also would eventually get extra spaced armor on the mantlet and get side skirts added (iirc, the N always had the spaced armor skirts), but I suppose the schurzen armor card would cover that. Since the short 50mm gun was not used on these tanks, the cards we have now must represent the G-J models. Maybe the later models should get 5 hits, vice 4, and cost more? You could consider using the current cards with the add on armor card to get the armor increase for an L. To get the effect of the added armor, plus schurzen, that would show up on the M, N and I believe upgraded L models, I think a new card is needed to give these models 5 hit points and then the option for the schurzen upgrade card....since I don't think the rules would allow two armor upgrades (add on armor and schurzen).

Edited by user Thursday, June 29, 2017 12:51:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Nigel Maddaford  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 29, 2017 5:55:45 PM(UTC)
Nigel Maddaford

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
N did not always have schurzen

UserPostedImage

Edited by user Thursday, June 29, 2017 5:56:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Zerstorer  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 29, 2017 6:04:36 PM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Nigel Maddaford Go to Quoted Post
N did not always have schurzen

UserPostedImage

Cool...but pretty common addition once available it seems. The armor on the L, M and N is nonetheless increased when compared to the J and earlier models.

Edited by user Thursday, June 29, 2017 6:05:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CmdrRook  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 29, 2017 11:49:15 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Or you could just use one card and attach the schurzen armor upgrade to the ones you'd like to field with schurzen. Seriously, they exist for a reason.
Tally - Ho  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 2:08:58 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Zerstorer Go to Quoted Post
Besides the artillery keyword, I also would be interested in the number of hit points to give the N. In the new cards, the short and long-barreled Panzer III are given 4 hit points....but are they meant to represent the Panzer IIIj and earlier? The Panzer IIIL and N, iirc, had 20mm of armor added to the front glacis...and it was these versions of the Panzer III that were used in the early Tiger battalions. These models also would eventually get extra spaced armor on the mantlet and get side skirts added (iirc, the N always had the spaced armor skirts), but I suppose the schurzen armor card would cover that. Since the short 50mm gun was not used on these tanks, the cards we have now must represent the G-J models. Maybe the later models should get 5 hits, vice 4, and cost more? You could consider using the current cards with the add on armor card to get the armor increase for an L. To get the effect of the added armor, plus schurzen, that would show up on the M, N and I believe upgraded L models, I think a new card is needed to give these models 5 hit points and then the option for the schurzen upgrade card....since I don't think the rules would allow two armor upgrades (add on armor and schurzen).

Full disclosure; I have not yet had my morning coffee so I might not be remembering correctly, but I thought that the Panzer III Ausf. J - N had a slightly longer chassis.

Bgongon  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 3:21:19 AM(UTC)
Bgongon

Quote:
Or you could just use one card and attach the schurzen armor upgrade to the ones you'd like to field with schurzen. Seriously, they exist for a reason.

Yeah. I figure I'll just put upgrade cards on tanks with extra armor or schurzen where I can, but making a second new card might not be necessary because I've got plenty of tanks with extra armor or schurzen on their models that I'm unable to put the exact upgrades on every game. I don't have enough cards to put armor upgrades on every tank that has it on the model either. It might not be completely realistic, but I think I'm alright with that compromise in TANKS.

Edited by user Friday, June 30, 2017 6:18:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: clarification