Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tally - Ho  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 1:36:47 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I have been thinking about implementing an idea I have not done before and I was wondering if anyone has already tried something like this and if so what was the result?

I was thinking of setting up some scenarios where a third person sets up the board and neither side knows what the battle field will look like until the game starts.

Example: Both players would know the point limit for their forces and the size of the table. Armed with only this information they would have to assemble their forces without knowing what type of battle they would be engaging in until they arrived at the venue.
Using only the force they brought they would have to then best figure out how to utilize them in the deployment phase.

I wonder if it would even be more realistic. Like you were called to the Field Command Post and told; "We have reports of resistance in this little village by Hill 23 and we need you to take your boys over there and clear it out. Dismissed & make it so.

Any thoughts?

Uthak  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 4:25:47 AM(UTC)
Uthak

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 13 post(s)
This works fine and is a corner stone to many tournaments (in any game really). The effect it has on the game is not as large as you may think, unless the table is set for a scenario that no player knows about. Even when just you and your counterpart set the table up as described there already is a good amount of randomness, specially since you place the terrain not knowing what side to deploy on.

Anyhow I bet you could make some really cool scenarios set up by a game master, where all of the sudden you find yourself on a dessert table w/o any terrain but only dunes. Or a major city across the whole table, rather than just 4 houses.
Tally - Ho  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 5:48:37 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Uthak Go to Quoted Post
This works fine and is a corner stone to many tournaments (in any game really). The effect it has on the game is not as large as you may think, unless the table is set for a scenario that no player knows about. Even when just you and your counterpart set the table up as described there already is a good amount of randomness, specially since you place the terrain not knowing what side to deploy on.

I guess I was not clear enough in my example. The players would have no idea of what the scenario was or even who would be the attacker/defender. They also would not know what the objectives would be until right before the game. They would not even know how much terrain there would be, and what types of obstacles they might encounter. (Mines, Tank traps, trenches, & maybe even Bunkers.)

Originally Posted by: Uthak Go to Quoted Post
Anyhow I bet you could make some really cool scenarios set up by a game master, where all of the sudden you find yourself on a dessert table w/o any terrain but only dunes. Or a major city across the whole table, rather than just 4 houses.

That would be the idea. Personally I tend to find that at times certain units are not as effective in certain types of terrain or scenarios. Like an Achilles in a scenario where it has no where to duck for cover.

My goal is to attempt to get players to have to prepare more for the unexpected and also come up with more versatile lists.

Uthak  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:52:17 AM(UTC)
Uthak

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I understand that, that's what I meant by tournament set up. someone sets X tables up as he/she wishes before players have arrived, then it gets determined who faces whom on what table at random. Also attack/defender are always at random, and the mission objective could also be determined by a D2/D3 etc. this is at least how I've seen Warhammer 40k tournaments bein conducted.

I totally understand your desire to set that up. I too think that most lists are rather generic and built around the 2-3 known-to-work-best builds set for destroy and thus like to set up random mission objectives. someone who constantly builds 1-2 tanks powerhouses has a hard time on a map with 3 mission objectives, someone with a swarm has a hard time at a headhunter scenario and so on. So yeah, random objectives are really fun and keep list building interesting, I hope you and your group will enjoy it as much as we have!