Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
suboid  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 5:54:26 PM(UTC)
suboid

Hello, I am looking to paint my tanks, but I already assembled them. I was thinking that it would be easier to paint if I disassembled them first. I was hoping someone might have already done this process and has tips. I was told for hard plastics like this that Simple Green works, but I do not want to risk destroying the tank I soak.
Thanks again
Zerstorer  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 6:04:53 PM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: suboid Go to Quoted Post
Hello, I am looking to paint my tanks, but I already assembled them. I was thinking that it would be easier to paint if I disassembled them first. I was hoping someone might have already done this process and has tips. I was told for hard plastics like this that Simple Green works, but I do not want to risk destroying the tank I soak.
Thanks again

No! They really are easier to paint after assembly and the parts will adhere to glue better without paint on them. To save time, I prime them white, then spray paint the base color of the tank. Battlefront sells nice spray paints in the right colors, but other brands are good. Then paint details like tracks, wheels, tools, machine guns, wash, dry brush, decals and done. You can also prime black and hand paint the base colors, saving time on tracks and wheels that way.

Take your time, enjoy the process and the results will be worth it.
CmdrRook  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 6:06:37 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Originally Posted by: suboid Go to Quoted Post
Thanks again

Simple Green is your best and only reasonable choice. Acetone and derivatives thereof will eat the plastic. My recommendation is to place the tank in the bottom of a small pyrex sealable container with enough simple Green to cover it. Leave it to sit for two days, giving it a mild shake after the first day. Then scrub it down with an old toothbrush, still in the simple Green-filled container. Rinse and allow to dry before repainting.

Stripping plastic is always a hassle, so take your time and do it right.
Dr Large  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 13, 2017 9:06:36 PM(UTC)
Dr Large

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I find it easier to paint when half assembled, as in hull and turrets built but I leave the tracks off, that way I can paint the actual tanks easier.

With everything its practice and finding a method that works for you:)
Kelvin  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 2:00:21 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Save any weathering till all is glued together though. Will look more natural.

I paint whole hull and turret seperate, but that works for me. Id advise M10 varients maybe paint as seperate components if you struggle as they are open topped.
Kelvin Griffiths, Attack Wing Captain, Lord Of Rings Hero and Tank Commander. Sort of...
Swished3  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 14, 2017 12:51:08 PM(UTC)
Swished3

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Dr Large Go to Quoted Post
I find it easier to paint when half assembled, as in hull and turrets built but I leave the tracks off, that way I can paint the actual tanks easier.

With everything its practice and finding a method that works for you:)

I totally agree.

I put tracks on last, as it's far easier to paint all the inside bits when they aren't attached to the hull.
Rhet Sark  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 10:33:37 AM(UTC)
Rhet Sark

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I thought Simple Green was only for stripping old paint, I wasn't aware that it was for ungluing parts too. Anyway, if you used cryanocylics to glue your tank together ( the stuff that forms a plastic bond between two plastic pieces) then I don't think there is anything short of a surgeon's scalpel that will separate those parts. If you used a white glue or "school glue" then maybe soaking the tank in water can dissolve the adhesive.

Still, I agree with the above, get a nice spray primer, and a base color, and paint the assembled tank. Then go over your details with brush work and specific colors.
thanks 1 user thanked Rhet Sark for this useful post.
CmdrRook on 6/15/2017(UTC)