Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Swished3  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 12:43:53 AM(UTC)
Swished3

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Can a tank in a forest shoot at a tank in a neighbouring forest (with nothing blocking line of sight between the two forests)?

The rulebook seems a big vague on it, but from how I read it, and the picture in the rulebook, it appears you can? (and you get cover)

A guy in my playgroup was at an official tournament at Adepticon and said there you were not allowed to attack forest to forest. So we're trying to get the official word on it. Thanks.
thanks 1 user thanked Swished3 for this useful post.
Zerstorer on 4/10/2017(UTC)
Chargers  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 12:59:51 AM(UTC)
Chargers

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You can shoot into or out of forests as noted on page 8 of the rulebook. You can also shoot forest to forest.

But you can't be behind (out of) a forest and shoot through it to a tank who is (out of and) on the other side.

A fffBfff . . . . . . A can shoot B in the forest
fffAfff fffBfff . . A can shoot out of a forest and into a forest at B
A ffffff B . . . . . .A cannot shoot B on the other side of the forest

Edited by user Monday, April 10, 2017 1:02:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1000cc of testosterone
thanks 2 users thanked Chargers for this useful post.
Swished3 on 4/10/2017(UTC), Zerstorer on 4/10/2017(UTC)
Swished3  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 1:07:11 AM(UTC)
Swished3

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
That's exactly what we thought. The guy running the tournament must have had it mixed up.

Thanks.
Zerstorer  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 6:16:29 AM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Yep...you can shoot from forest to forest. You just can't be outside a forest and target something outside the forest on the other side. The forest template, like a building template, blocks line of sight.

For a tricky one, put your tank in a forest with a part of the turret sticking out. Now, you get cover....but the target does not (an example is in the drawing on pg 12).
LordOfKhemri  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 8:59:10 AM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)

The rulebook says ignore terrain directly​ under the shooting tank so the target tank wouldn't get cover anyway even if the shooter was deep in the forest.
2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
Chargers  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 10:15:25 AM(UTC)
Chargers

Originally Posted by: LordOfKhemri Go to Quoted Post

The rulebook says ignore terrain directly​ under the shooting tank so the target tank wouldn't get cover anyway even if the shooter was deep in the forest.

It doesn't say ignore the terrain template you are on, it just says that you ignore the terrain under your tank.
1000cc of testosterone
CmdrRook  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 3:24:37 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Unambiguous rewording recommendation for FAQ/errata use;
"For the purposes of shooting, the volume of the attacking tank, and any terrain within it, is ignored."
LordOfKhemri  
#8 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 10:33:11 PM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Originally Posted by: Chargers Go to Quoted Post

It doesn't say ignore the terrain template you are on, it just says that you ignore the terrain under your tank.

As Rook says, unambiguous wording is needed.
I am wracking my brains to come up with a situation where the terrain is directly under a tank but not extending anywhere else.

If I am in a wood and my turret or nose is not poking out then clearly my line of sight goes over foliage and gives cover to target.

If my tank has its nose or turret poking out of the wood or is exactly bang on the edge of the wood then LOS doesn't cross foliage so provides no cover for target tank.

In both case the terrain under the tank is irrelevant. I can't see why they have even mentioned terrain directly under the tank.

I stand to be corrected.

6 May 18 no
CmdrRook  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2017 11:28:21 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Because by having inched any two corners of your tanks volume (area, I suppose, because Tanks is a 2d game in practice) barely into woods, there is literally no angle to attack it from that it would not benefit from cover, regardless of how much of it or which sides are exposed. Players may be understandably suspicious that attacking from woods may have odd quirks as well.
dogg  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2017 2:33:38 AM(UTC)
dogg

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
You can shoot into or out of forests as noted on page 8 of the rulebook. You can also shoot forest to forest.

But you can't be behind (out of) a forest and shoot through it to a tank who is (out of and) on the other side.

hey swished, i figured we were doing it rite. it would be nice to have an official FAQ for the game.
Panzer  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2017 12:32:39 PM(UTC)
Panzer

Although seems like this, but not really straightforward for most of players, especially for someone not want to read rulebook.

A better reasonable rule, say if a tank almost close to edge of woods, could shoot each other. But for a tank deep in woods, it shouldn't suppose to have line of sight.

A fffBfff .... A shouldn't shoot B
A fBfffff ... A could shoot B, B in cover
ffffAf fBfff ... A could shoot B
ffffAf ffBff ... A shouldn't shoot B

fffff
A f B .... thin wood, A should could shoot B.
fffff
Chargers  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 12, 2017 12:41:37 AM(UTC)
Chargers

Logically, Panzer, that makes sense. But then the game gets more cumbersome with more range measuring (for example, I'm within an inch of the forest edge so you can target me but if I'm 1.1 inches in then you can't). Kind of like Side Shot which is an easy rule to determine but leads to some circumstances where you're not really shooting at the side.

Simple rules keep it moving along and more fun.
1000cc of testosterone
Sohlon  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 12, 2017 8:36:05 PM(UTC)
Sohlon

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

As Rook says, unambiguous wording is needed.
I am wracking my brains to come up with a situation where the terrain is directly under a tank but not extending anywhere else.

If I am in a wood and my turret or nose is not poking out then clearly my line of sight goes over foliage and gives cover to target.

If my tank has its nose or turret poking out of the wood or is exactly bang on the edge of the wood then LOS doesn't cross foliage so provides no cover for target tank.

In both case the terrain under the tank is irrelevant. I can't see why they have even mentioned terrain directly under the tank.

I stand to be corrected.

Los is taken from the turret so the rule means if your tank is on the edge but your turret isn't then you don't grant cover for firing over the front of your tank. If you look at the diagrams on that page this is what it shows.
LordOfKhemri  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 12, 2017 9:50:09 PM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

"Los is taken from the turret so the rule means if your tank is on the edge but your turret isn't then you don't grant cover for firing over the front of your tank. If you look at the diagrams on that page this is what it shows."

I never said that you get cover for firing over the front of your tank.

6 May 18 no
Sohlon  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 13, 2017 12:31:47 AM(UTC)
Sohlon

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
"Los is taken from the turret so the rule means if your tank is on the edge but your turret isn't then you don't grant cover for firing over the front of your tank. If you look at the diagrams on that page this is what it shows."

I never said that you get cover for firing over the front of your tank.

Nope, it is a demonstration of why the rule states you ignore terrain under the tank ( which i believe you were questioning the point of). If it didn't say that you ignored the terrain then you would give cover by firing over the front of your tank as you Los from the turret would pass through the foilage. It's actually a very strong set of rules and I'm yet to find something that's particularly unclear.
Panzer  
#16 Posted : Thursday, April 13, 2017 4:43:44 AM(UTC)
Panzer

If I would write the forest rule, would be only two lines which easier to understand:

1. A tank inside a forest deep than 'arrow(head)' size, no LOS (means no shooting); a tank wherever thinner than 'arrow' size, consider as transparent in term of LOS.
2. A tank wherever thinner in forest than 'arrow' size, add a defence (cover) dice.

Edited by user Thursday, April 13, 2017 4:47:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified