Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jeta2112  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 5, 2017 10:04:28 AM(UTC)
Jeta2112

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 7 post(s)
At the moment, Tanks is my game of choice for Tuesday nights at my Local Gaming Club (Forest Outlaws in Mansfield), especially as we are in the planning stages for a Tanks game at next year's Hammerhead show. Tonight took the planning a couple of stages further as:

i) We were playing USSR against Germany
ii) It was the first tentative steps in creating the mission we will be using.

The basic set up was a couple of areas of forest in the German deployment zone while the Russians deployed just beyond some buildings and fields set around a muddy t-junction. The forces used were:

Germany

1 x Panther
3 x Stug Gs

USSR

1 x T34/85
3 x T34s

The aim of the mission was the attacking Germans to break through the Russian lines and exit the battle field through the Russian deployment area. The defending Russians simply had to stop the Germans doing so.

For the first game, I played the Russians while my son played Germany. It was quite disappointing that he manged to destroy my T34/38 in round 2. I have to confess that my apalling dice rolling didn't help the Russian defence (2 T34s getting close ranged side shots on a single Stug, only hitting once and doing no damage - allowing it to escape off the board during ts blitzkrieg move). On the other hand, I did manage to destroy the Panther but was unable to prevent any Stugs escaping.

Victory to the Germans.

For the second game, we swapped sides and I took on the role of the Germans. My sons tactic of having his T34s in a staggered line allowed him to take advantage of the Co-ordinated fire rule. This, along with a few critical hits, allowed him to destroy one of my Stugs quite early on. Slitting my forces allowed me to get my Panther and one Stug off the board at the cost of a second Stug while managing to destroy 2 T34s.

We called that one a draw.

I'll keep you up to date as our plans for Hammerhead develop. The current idea is to have 11 T34s and a couple of ISU-152s fighting for the Russians while the Germans will field a mixture of Panzers, Stugs, Panthers and Tigers.

Could be interesting.
thanks 1 user thanked Jeta2112 for this useful post.
Axeman on 4/5/2017(UTC)
LordOfKhemri  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 5, 2017 8:19:24 PM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
I take it you will be on at least a 6x4 board?

From our experience of larger battles we found that a minimum of upgrades works ok as it becomes more of a memory test sometimes especially regarding initiative.

You may have seen a couple of accounts of our big battles where we just use heroes and no upgrades.

I would also suggest using some markers (I have the Battlefront blast markers that look cool) to indicate which tanks have fired.
2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
CmdrRook  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 5, 2017 11:54:33 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Using the " no retreat" mission in the book might have served you better, as exiting the board is far easier than preventing it, giving the attacker am advantage. Making the mission centered around securing a small number of points from either and any combination of the two objective tokens in the defender's deployment zone alleviates this. The game ends when either the attacker has scored three points and has at least one surviving tank, or the defender has destroyed all attacking tanks.
Jeta2112  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 13, 2017 5:59:39 PM(UTC)
Jeta2112

UserPostedImageFurther to our preparations for Hammerhead 2018, my friend and I played through our chosen scenario again on Tuesday. This time, the forces were:

Russians

5 x T34s

Germans

3 x Tigers

This time, we used a larger playing surface but kept the same scenario - the German's having to reach the Russian table edge.

I have to say that the Tigers provided a tough nut for my T34s to crack. It was only a missed blitzkrieg move opportunity that prevented them breaking through. For my part, I neglected using their Fast special rule and, for the most part, remained still in the open.

By the end of turn 6, i had destroyed 1 Tiger and lost 3 of my T34s. However, the German's failed to reach the table edge resulting in a Russian victory - they held the line.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
LordOfKhemri  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 13, 2017 8:55:02 PM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Well done comrades!
Extra potatoes and cabbage for you tonight.

Edited by user Thursday, April 13, 2017 8:55:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
Jeta2112  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 14, 2017 4:14:12 AM(UTC)
Jeta2112

Originally Posted by: LordOfKhemri Go to Quoted Post
Well done comrades!
Extra potatoes and cabbage for you tonight.

Спасибо