Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cat97628  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:45:18 AM(UTC)
cat97628

I am thinking of dipping my toe into my first organized tournament and running Tanks at Little Wars in Chicago at the end of April. Any guidance would be welcome and maybe contact info for someone at GF9 would be helpful. I really enjoy this game and would love to see it grow in the area and the best way I know to do that is run something a bit higher profile at a CON. Thanks in advance.
LordOfKhemri  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:50:29 PM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
I only have experience of running demo games but I would say keep it quite simple and don't exceed six turns.

The more there is to remember the more there is to forget in the hurly burly of keeping everyone in check.

Have documentary evidence of clarifications from HQ as there is always "that person" who is a jerk and spoil it for everyone else by thinking they know best.

Oh, and have fun :)
2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
CmdrRook  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2017 11:25:02 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Establish a point limit and minimum number of tanks that prevents abusive play, would be my recommendation. If entry fee and prize support are on the line, you will likely see scummy super Pershing lists. 90 points split between at least two tanks forces those people to make some hard choices, and we've been running comfortably at that point level at our FLGS for the past two ops. Lots of fun and tactical decisions, and a 1v1 wraps up in under an hour, even without turn limits.
Waster  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 1:02:18 AM(UTC)
Waster

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Make sure tournament rules and prize structure(s) are clear going in. Have players fill out a roster sheet or sheets before the tournament or before each game if you plan to allow people to change their lists mid-tournament. Even if you're not checking them, this discourages illegal lists by making cheaters think they are being scrutinized and making all players carefully monitor things like point value and crew slots. Have a reasonable idea for how you'll handle disputes.

Sorry if that all sounds a bit intimidating. Even in a structured setting, Tanks is still a laid back game. Make sure your players know that and that you keep it in mind for yourself when judging.

Cheers!

Edited by user Friday, March 3, 2017 1:03:36 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified