Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
morgis  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2017 7:32:56 AM(UTC)
morgis

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi
Shooting from behind the to tank is the same rule like side shot ?
CmdrRook  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2017 8:30:32 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Yes. The rule indicates that you must have some part of your tank behind the front glacis of the defender to get a side shot. Being behind a tank satisfies this condition.
thanks 1 user thanked CmdrRook for this useful post.
morgis on 2/28/2017(UTC)
morgis  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:33:07 AM(UTC)
morgis

Thank you
Terror  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 28, 2017 12:05:36 PM(UTC)
Terror

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Yes same as side shot ....but I honestly think there should be another rule for shooting a tank directly from behind... or it should at least negate the Heavy Tank rule.
Uthak  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 5:50:57 PM(UTC)
Uthak

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Terror Go to Quoted Post
Yes same as side shot ....but I honestly think there should be another rule for shooting a tank directly from behind... or it should at least negate the Heavy Tank rule.

I agree very much. also a rewriting of angling is (imo) needed.

Current rules are made to have less discussion, which sometimes comes up in games where lines are drawn out of the corners of the hull to determine target area. But this is a must-have imo. to make that more visual (and sorry for the crude use of letters for visualization). if you place one tank at a.) (facing down v) and one at b.) (facing right >), tank a will see about 95% of tank b's side and only like 5% of its front. Yet current rules state that, since a in technically in front of b, a may not count as firing in the side of b but ONLY the front. This silliness also applies to hull mounted guns. lets say b was a stug, he could now stay stationary and fire on a, because he is entirely in front of him... Please lmk if I just didn't get the ruleset straight.

a
a
a
v

bbb>
LordOfKhemri  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 17, 2017 9:48:19 PM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
I know it's difficult to show what you mean using the a,b,v,> but I'm not sure that you are interpreting the rules correctly.

You get a sideshot if any part of your hull is behind the front plane of the target tank.
2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
Waster  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 12:11:16 AM(UTC)
Waster

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LordOfKhemri Go to Quoted Post
I know it's difficult to show what you mean using the a,b,v,> but I'm not sure that you are interpreting the rules correctly.

You get a sideshot if any part of your hull is behind the front plane of the target tank.

Yeah that.
Uthak  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 4:49:24 AM(UTC)
Uthak

Originally Posted by: LordOfKhemri Go to Quoted Post

haha, I see what happened here, the spaces I had made got taken out of the post. The aaa> was some 10-20 (hard to guess) spaces out in the text field. therefor it was ahead (but just barely) of bbb looking down towards bbb - close, but still entirely in front of it. From my understanding this would pan out that aaa would need to target the frontal armor, though any logical assessment would say he is clearly shooting the side armor.

I just went through the waste-of-time to try to more properly visualize, haha, but now saw I cant upload it without an URL. that's silly. I hope my explanation will do
Chargers  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:44:49 PM(UTC)
Chargers

Yeah, what you describe makes sense visually. There are a few situations where the rule set gives you odd results like that. But the rules are meant to keep it quick and easy (I like that) rather than get into battle simulation levels of detail (there are other games if you prefer that).

Edited by user Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:47:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1000cc of testosterone
Uthak  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 21, 2017 7:28:49 AM(UTC)
Uthak

Yes, I like the quick and easy ruling as well, just this particular ruling is difficult for me, not only because it disregards the massive armor differences from front to back, often even just from side to back, even on heavy tanks (jagdtiger/tortoise?), and in the current rules the vague movement rules/ or rather say Spider-Man-tanks make flanking a higher initiative tank basically impossible. This is not even mentioning tanks that shoot across the whole field into the clear side of an enemy, but are a centimeter ahead of its frontal armor and therefor shoot its front, even though that is invisible.

The most stupid example I have encountered was a scenario where one tank was at the side line, his nose right behind a building, another tank across the whole table took a dap at him, being AHEAD of him (we took a measuring tape and drew the line), but for the building the front of the tank was invisible, only the rear side armor was clearly visible. Now this tank took his shot at said other tanks side that had to be counted as this tanks front - because rules - 0 sense and very frustrating (to me)

again: easy rules = great, but for me it seems that the rules are not harmonizing very well (from the 5 games I've played, given, not very much XP)
Ol Sol  
#11 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2017 2:08:40 AM(UTC)
Ol Sol

New to this. We have only been playing TANKS for about 3-4 months, now.

Shooting at the side, shooting at the rear, keeping rules simple. This is always the challenge. When playing TANKS, we (we as in, our games club) use the 45 degree rule as measured from the front/back corners of the model to determine front/side/back shots. If the 45 degree line touches the firing tank, the firing tank gets to decide what face to hit. A simple 45 degree cardboard template serves as our measuring guide. If the measurement is close (that's when players go "Umm..."), the tank with the higher initiative gets to decide. Some players prefer to use the corner-to-corner rule, which is also OK, but tends to be a bit more arbitrary. We try to keep the games moving and not split hairs.

When shooting at the rear of a tank, we subtract 2 defensive dice. We do this even for the heavies. This seems to satisfy everyone's sense of fairness.

The main reason we play TANKS is for fun. Any game is not fun if it seems to be unfair. We find these minor adjustments make it fair and enjoyable while still keeping the simplicity of the play structure.

Edited by user Monday, May 15, 2017 4:11:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Zerstorer  
#12 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2017 6:20:01 AM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
The rules are fine the way that are. Honestly, there are dozens and dozens of rule sets with more realistic armor depictions, shooting, spotting and movement rules. Tanks is meant to be fun, quick and easy to play/explain.

I can see only a handful of things I would change in the game (bailed out tanks can't contest or capture objectives). I like the way the OP kits add a little chrome (bunkers, mines, trenches, etc) and would like to see more of that.

I originally had problems with the reduced level of accuracy, realism in the rules, but now enjoy being able to play a quick and fun game of Tanks. I might even give FOW 4th edition a whirl (hated FOW before....too many special rules, goofy characters, exceptions, etc), since that looks to have been streamlined and simplified as well.