Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chriscook  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 2:30:26 AM(UTC)
chriscook

Ok, got US and German tanks. Are there any must use Commanders or upgrades. My son is kicking my but with Super pershing, pershing and 2 sermons with a small 1 pt upgrade. I went commander upgrade heavy on 3 tanks and can't win. HELP!
PapaBear  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 2:59:07 AM(UTC)
PapaBear

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hmm tough one to answer

Firstly when building your force you need to think about the purpose of each tank and what you want to do overall.

For instance if you have gone for a heavy tank you need him to be soak up as much damage as possible. 'Improvised Armour' helps as this gives it an extra hit point and keeps them in the game that bit longer.
Also spending so many points for a big tank like this means you have less barrels on the board than say a medium tank force. Given that you have less guns, you are going to want to make up for that with a commander/gunner option that allows a re-roll or something, maybe 2 re- roll cards if you can get them in.

If your army composes of mediums only, you are going to probably want to be more aggressive. Americans are great for this with their Gung Ho trait (Germans not so good at attacking compared to Soviets/USA)

I take a tool box/ liquid courage with all my mediums to keep them mobile. They tend to die quickly otherwise.

Having one tank with really high initiative helps as it means you have something that can react last and hopefully get some flank shots. A Panther can very easily get to 10 initiative and that helps a lot as it doesnt have the hit points to compete with the heavies straight up.

What 3 tanks are you using in your army? Your son has a lot of firepower and hitpoints overall with that composition. I can see why it would be tough to deal with. How many points are you playing?
Follow my Blog - Tanks Of War
Tanks Of War Blog
chriscook  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 4:17:28 AM(UTC)
chriscook

We are playing 100pts. On a side note, are games 6 turns long? I am using a Stug, panther and tiger with radio command impro armor and the commander that gives me an extra dice if I sit still (11pts) I am getting rid of him and adding a Stug, just not worth it for 11 pts. Thanks!
Waster  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 4:42:03 AM(UTC)
Waster

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chriscook Go to Quoted Post
We are playing 100pts. On a side note, are games 6 turns long? I am using a Stug, panther and tiger with radio command impro armor and the commander that gives me an extra dice if I sit still (11pts) I am getting rid of him and adding a Stug, just not worth it for 11 pts. Thanks!

I must say, the build on that Tiger doesn't synergize at all. That commander is very good, but ONLY if it's a tank that you plan on keeping stationary for most of the game.
If the idea of an artillery tank sitting in a corner appeals to you, you're not alone!
When you're building a stationary tank, the major drawback will always be a lack of defense. Otto Carius is very good if you can park him in a forest early game, but in most cases I would actually go with Hans von Luck (if you have him).

Hans is a commander for six points and adds +1 to initiative as well as +1 to defense while stationary. This combined with camo netting will give you a base defense of 4 without even moving on a Panther, Jagdpanther, or Tiger. If you're in a forest that becomes 5 on a stationary tank for a total added point cost of +11, equal to Hans. (even if you do decide on Hans, camo netting is worth the four points). Remember that your blitzkrieging tanks will still be able to position somewhat in the command phase without losing the advantage of being stationary (rerolling their attack dice). Although you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket, it can be pertinent to add a few more cheap upgrades at this point to ensure you're dealing damage with that beast. Look at your options for gunners, particularly.

For the other fifty or so points you have to play with, consider a kitted heavy-ish tank with some good movement initiative, or a couple of cheaper tanks like Panzer IVs or Puma/Pak Wagons if you have them. Don't go for assault guns though, unless you're super confident you can win initiative in the movement phase.

Radio coordinator is an interesting piece of tech but making it effective takes some really careful work so I'd forget about it for the time being.

The Super Pershing is a hard thing to deal with, and in my opinion is kind of broken (though not as broken as the Jackson, sweet christmas what were they thinking!). Your best bet when you know you're going up against it is to try and build a tank that can deal lots of critical hits to it. You want to diminish its capacity as much as possible. It's incredibly satisfying to see a kitted out SP bailed out for four turns as the remaining 35 points of your opponent's army flounders in a hopeless mismatch.

Hope that gives you some things to think about!
PapaBear  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 4:43:23 AM(UTC)
PapaBear

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: chriscook Go to Quoted Post

Missions will specify if there is a turn limit. Also you could set a time limit to your games (1 hour works well at 100 points) and then work out victory points/kills from there, but check the mission you are playing as they will tell you.

Ok so your army composition is pretty decent at 100 points I think - the tanks are at least. The upgrades possibly need looking at. I wouldnt add an extra Stug. This would come at a cost of some vital upgrades. You definetely dont want to be keeping that tiger stationary.

I like to play the following:
Tiger: Improvised armour, tool box
Panther: Lots of initaitive and 2 cards that allow him to re-roll twice per shooting phase (commander and gunner etc)
Puma: Scout,

I like the Puma with the 'Scout' upgrade (I think its called that) as then he can pass his iniative onto another tank in the movement phase. Lots of versatility there. The Stug can be decent with this setup but you lose a lot of flexibility and ability to attack.

The Tiger has effectively 9 hit points so it can take a whack or two. Tool box to help keep him in the game.

Panther should have the iniatiave to move last and into good positions (maximum of 1 enemy firing back at him) and the Panthers job is to kill kill kill. Look after this guy though as 6 health is not a lot for 32 points (maybe some improvised armour again?)

Not sure how many points that is, but it's pretty much my preferred setup for Germans at 100. points. Works quite well.

Hope this helps
Follow my Blog - Tanks Of War
Tanks Of War Blog
shifty33  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 5:09:31 AM(UTC)
shifty33

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Also if your playing 100 point game I think you son is over points with a super Pershing at 48 Pershing at 33 and 2 shermans at 20 each that's 121 points that could also be why u are losing. He has 22 points on u that's an entire tank.
Unless I read his list comp wring in your first post
Kelvin  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 12:20:38 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
If you struggle with Super, avoid it as much as possible and kill the shermans. This way you reduce his guns firing and hopefully put the super in a situation where its heavily outnumbered.

I imagine that he wants you to focus on the super whilst the lesser tanks are doing more than you think in meantime.

Try Soviet combined fire out in this situation, could give you an edge.