Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Shaner  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 24, 2016 3:51:53 AM(UTC)
Shaner

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi folks, brand new to the game and the forums.

I am running an after school gaming club and have purchased Tanks! The rule book is simple, but we are discovering "issues" with movement the more we play. I was wondering if anyone has made an advanced guide (or videos) discussing movement. I am not good at uploading photos to show the "situations" that we are encountering.

We also have a concern...that being the way the game mechanics work and how it encourages taking the heaviest tanks (Soviet) and just parking them in the woods for the entire game. For instance, I took 5 cheap Shermans in a 100point list with no upgrades. My student took two heavy Soviet tanks and a T34. He parked them in the woods on his first turn and them proceeded to pound me apart as I attempted to race across the field. I did't destroy one tank! (as he benefits from my movement for defense...and gets rerolls for being stationary). It just seemed so one sided. Not sure if we are doing something wrong. I just hope that is not what this game is...two opponents with heavy tanks..parked across a board from each other and throwing dice...hoping to get lucky hits in. Anyone have any advice here? I may have to use a house rule where lists can only have one heavy tank.

Thanks for any advice
thanks 1 user thanked Shaner for this useful post.
Adorable Rocket on 12/24/2016(UTC)
Adorable Rocket  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 24, 2016 4:14:58 AM(UTC)
Adorable Rocket

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Shaner Go to Quoted Post
Hi folks, brand new to the game and the forums.

I am running an after school gaming club and have purchased Tanks! The rule book is simple, but we are discovering "issues" with movement the more we play. I was wondering if anyone has made an advanced guide (or videos) discussing movement. I am not good at uploading photos to show the "situations" that we are encountering.

Have you tried this:

Quote:

We also have a concern...that being the way the game mechanics work and how it encourages taking the heaviest tanks (Soviet) and just parking them in the woods for the entire game. For instance, I took 5 cheap Shermans in a 100point list with no upgrades. My student took two heavy Soviet tanks and a T34. He parked them in the woods on his first turn and them proceeded to pound me apart as I attempted to race across the field. I did't destroy one tank! (as he benefits from my movement for defense...and gets rerolls for being stationary). It just seemed so one sided. Not sure if we are doing something wrong. I just hope that is not what this game is...two opponents with heavy tanks..parked across a board from each other and throwing dice...hoping to get lucky hits in. Anyone have any advice here? I may have to use a house rule where lists can only have one heavy tank.

Thanks for any advice

Have you tried not driving across open ground in sight of heavy tanks stationary in cover?

Seriously though, this game has many simplifications of WWII armored combat, but their simple modeling of the impact of moving versus staying still when shooting is sheer brilliance and quite realistic as far as it goes (in fact you'll find me arguing that the defense bonus you get for moving at top speed is perhaps too generous).

My 2c:

Remember both sides get to place cover, so when playing a light swarm, consider creating covered approaches. Try and flank your opponent's tanks to get a side shot and negate their cover benefit. They'll be forced to move and lose their stationary reroll or risk taking a small but gradual amount of damage each turn.

Move your max speed until you are in cover. If you do have to move in the open, move in formation to cover your other tanks.

Give it another whirl and let us know how it goes!

Edited by user Saturday, December 24, 2016 4:18:56 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Adorable Rocket for this useful post.
Shaner on 12/24/2016(UTC)
Zerstorer  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 24, 2016 4:53:19 AM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Quote:

We also have a concern...that being the way the game mechanic both sides get to place cover, so when playing a light swarm, consider creating covered approaches. Try and flank your opponent's tanks to get a side shot and negate their cover benefit. They'll be forced to move and lose their stationary reroll or risk taking a small but gradual amount of damage each turn.

Move your max speed until you are in cover. If you do have to move in the open, move in formation to cover your other tanks.

Give it another whirl and let us know how it goes!

The way to solve the problem is to play with multiple objectives. Our group likes games where these two objectives are in the middle third of the board. It prevents an opponent from parking all his heavy metal in one spot. If your opponent parks heavy tanks, that have no flanks per the rules, maneuvering for a flank won't work.

If you are stuck in a game that has no objectives, here are some tips/options:
- if your tanks are outgunned, try to pick crew and tanks so that you have a higher initiative than him in both phases...but definitely the shooting phase. If you must close, then try to do it in such a way that he can't shoot your swarm with all his tanks. Remember that his own tanks can block each other's line of sight. You need some luck, but focus your fire on one, or at most two tanks and high initiative means you shoot first. Crits can kill or cause other crew effects that can either diminish or eliminate his chance at return fire.
- pick a nasty heavy tank of your own for your list. He has Stalins? Take a Super Pershing, Pershings, Tigers and Jagdpanther's!
- find cover and wait for him to come to you. No one said you have to come to him.
-split up to lure him to a spot and use initiative to concentrate your tanks if he splits up himself.
-Americans are better than most facing the situation you described, because they don't suffer in shooting as much when they move thanks to Gung ho.
thanks 1 user thanked Zerstorer for this useful post.
Shaner on 12/24/2016(UTC)
Kelvin  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 25, 2016 11:24:42 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
It sounds like you maybe just need a few more games to get used to how things play, and in all fairness the heavy tanks are beasts, basic Shermans aren't exactly super either.

Play a few more games, make mental notes of how attacks unfold and look into how different tanks perform. Even the heavies have weaknessess to exploit.

Also, yeah, open ground is a bad place to be, dont ever try it with an M10, trust me.
dogg  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2016 3:53:35 PM(UTC)
dogg

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Shaner Go to Quoted Post
He parked them in the woods on his first turn and them proceeded to pound me apart as I attempted to race across the field. I did't destroy one tank! (as he benefits from my movement for defense...and gets rerolls for being stationary). It just seemed so one sided. Not sure if we are doing something wrong. I just hope that is not what this game is...two opponents with heavy tanks..parked across a board from each other and throwing dice...hoping to get lucky hits in. Anyone have any advice here? I may have to use a house rule where lists can only have one heavy tank.

Thanks for any advice

Are you sure you were using the proper Soviet rule of "Coordinated Fire" which gives you plus 1 attack dice if their is another soviet tank within a range ruler of the firing tank. It sounds as if you were using the British rule of "Semi-Indirect Fire" which allows a stationary tank to re-roll attack dice. Don't get me wrong as "CR" is killer also.