Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Waster  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 9, 2016 3:17:04 AM(UTC)
Waster

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 20 post(s)
My FLGS (Greenfield Games) has asked me to be in charge of Tanks for them, in terms of running events, updating them on incoming products, and teaching the game to those interested, but we are almost entirely unable to run OPS events

Why?

Because although all currently orderable (according to our distributor) kits were ordered months ago, we have only received kit #3.

With kit #3 came a sheet listing the contents, but it actually listed the contents for month #1. We did NOT, for example, receive a map of Normandy.

That might have been alright (if not great) if we had also received the challenge coins mentioned here. We didn't.

What actually came in the kit:

• Several sheets of punch-out terrain, featuring new bocage and mine fields, hurray!
  • The sheet explaining the OPS kits that lists the contents of month 1, not month 3 as though they were in the package.
  • A good-sized pack of promo oversize tank cards. All Panzer IVs.
  • A pile of beautiful acrylic movement tread tokens. All 1s.
  • Platoon sheets for organized play (blank army lists)
  • A league records sheet for organized play (is this supposed to also be a signup sheet? Unclear)
  • A rules sheet detailing the mechanics for mine fields, bocage, and the team-based Encounter game type. These rules are, frankly, missing a lot of information. They're certainly not robust enough for me to be comfortable running events with prizes on the line using them.
  • The Hit the Beach Poster that shows the OPS month 1 terrain and implies strongly that the store has it. "Play for the oversized Tank Cards and acrylic movement arrows."

We were very happy to receive the kit, as it vastly expands the basic game and gave us some great prizes to give out if we do end up running something more formal, but we're lacking the full prizes that the poster promises we have, as well as the challenge coins that the website promises we have.

SO. Some questions:

Did the challenge coins actually come in month 1 or even month 2, and we were expected to hold onto them to award in month 3?

Are OPS kits 1 and 2 completely unavailable? If so, will they, or any of their contents become available in the future?

I ordered the terrain pack from CoolStuffInc, which seems to just be the OPS terrain available to actual customers (as it should be, let's be real). It's becoming clear at this point that that product never really existed. Does this mean that GF9 won't be releasing that terrain again in any form other than print and play?

The guidelines that come with kit #3 talk about loose ways that challenge coins and other prizes can be awarded. Does this mean that the structure for organized play can be loose, without worrying about censure from GF9? Could, for instance, a group play with house rules? Unpainted tanks? Print and play terrain? etc.

Was it a mistake that we received kit #3 at all, without having #1 or #2? Is it designed to be run alone?

Is anyone else having similar problems?

Thanks for any feedback, guys! We really love Tanks and want to support it as best we can, but this whole OPS structure seems backwards. Seems like it would be much more sensible to release terrain packs available to the public and then just have the store kits be the promo items and tournament sheets. We'd have more product to sell, people could play with the new terrain outside of stores as soon as it came out, and we wouldn't be scrambling to find nonexistent store-only kits to run organized games.
Waster  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 2:50:51 AM(UTC)
Waster

UPDATE

We just received the OPS kit for month one of OPS season 2: The Bear Awakens!

Very excited and we'll be running it in January.

BUT!

Before we do we'd really like some clarifications on some of the associated rules.

• There's a giant church on the terrain sheet. Clearly this is one of the new Large Buildings we've been promised this season. Does it replace a building or a forest during terrain placement? Is it legal for use in season games?
  • Are mine rollers part of a tank? Can they enter impassable terrain? Can an enemy tank draw line of sight to them? If we don't hear otherwise we're going to assume their token is purely aesthetic and only affects gameplay in the manner stated on the rules sheet.
  • Our interpretaion is that a tank can attempt to clear a minefield as many times per turn as it ends a move touching a minefield. This is as opposed to say, the first time in a turn it enters a minefield.

We'd love some clarifications on these from gf9 staff!
Mirdin01  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 9, 2017 8:17:53 AM(UTC)
Mirdin01

I was selected to run our organized play and was wondering about the tanks with rollers having initiative 0. When does this take effect?,
1 Before setup
2 After setup but only effects tanks movement for initiative 0
3 The tanks have initiative 0 for moving and shooting minus upgrade cards
Any clarifications would be welcome.

For Wasters post what we are doing is using the church as a large building.
Mine rollers are aesthetic and only effects per game rules
We are allowing the tanks to try to clear up to their movement allowance since it states that you roll each time a tank touches a minefield to us that meant right away interrupting the movement for the mines and clearing before moving again.
Would love clarification also
Sean at TANKS HQ  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 9, 2017 9:11:32 AM(UTC)
Sean at TANKS HQ

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Hey guys,

Play the church as a large building. Having it replace one of the players' buildings is probably wise, unless you want a more crowded village which can be fun.
Mine Rollers are NOT part of the tank, they are essentially tokens or markers. The reduction to initiative is in effect from the start of the game, including deployment. Upgrade cards can bring that Initiative back up.
You can attempt to clear as many minefields as you've moved through. Even if you pass through two minefields with the same single move, you can roll to clear both. Just remember that you roll for any mine damage first.

As for the issues with OPS Kit content, you should get challenge coins in the month 3 kit. If you're yet to receive yours then please contact our customer service team.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I blame the holiday season. :)

Edited by user Thursday, February 9, 2017 9:15:11 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Waster  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 9, 2017 3:15:20 PM(UTC)
Waster

Originally Posted by: Sean at TANKS HQ Go to Quoted Post
Hey guys,

Play the church as a large building. Having it replace one of the players' buildings is probably wise, unless you want a more crowded village which can be fun.
Mine Rollers are NOT part of the tank, they are essentially tokens or markers. The reduction to initiative is in effect from the start of the game, including deployment. Upgrade cards can bring that Initiative back up.
You can attempt to clear as many minefields as you've moved through. Even if you pass through two minefields with the same single move, you can roll to clear both. Just remember that you roll for any mine damage first.

As for the issues with OPS Kit content, you should get challenge coins in the month 3 kit. If you're yet to receive yours then please contact our customer service team.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I blame the holiday season. :)

Um. Thanks for the rules clarifications. Received no challenge coins in 1.3. Received the wrong roster poster in 2.2. Already written to customer service.

Gotta say, frankly, I would have liked these much needed clarifications BEFORE the OPS began rather than after it ended. Really feels like we're struggling in the dark a lot of the time with these.

I do have a quick question about 2.2: Can a single tank score 2 victory points in a single turn if it is within close range of both objectives and no enemy tanks are within close range of those objectives?

Again, I know you're a small team but please make more of an effort in supporting rules questions here. I know the game is "rules light" and there are no "tournament rules" but the OPS kits are essentially official tournaments with real prizes on the line, and we have only our best guesses for rules disputes. I know quite a few people would like a clarification on Dr. Franz Bake and Zinoviy Kolobanov (what is a "single" move? What is a "normal" move? Are they different?) and many other such things.
Kozi  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2017 1:40:35 AM(UTC)
Kozi

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Don't bother with the Customer Support inquiry, I wrote and was told the original distributor got them, and if I didn't, tough but GF9/BF doesn't have any more.
thanks 1 user thanked Kozi for this useful post.
Waster on 2/10/2017(UTC)