Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kelvin  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2016 12:36:36 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Anyone else hope we get Japan as a side? Im dying for an excuse to paint up some Pacific style Shermans. Also, could ww1 be a possibility down the line?
Axeman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2016 8:19:51 PM(UTC)
Axeman

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
The Pacific theatre was pretty one-sided in terms of armour. The allies had Shermans, Lees etc. The Japanese had outdated early 1930s light tanks. I'm sure the paint schemes would be cool though.
Zerstorer  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2016 7:38:40 AM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Well, Tanks is not very realistic. It is a good game though. Keeping that in mind, the Pacific theater could make for fun games. Early war Japanese tanks versus American M3 Stuart's and half tracks with guns, Chinese tanks and armored cars , or even Dutch light tanks or armored cars. Later you get better Japanese tanks such as the Shinhoto Chi Ha, Ho Ni, Chi Nu (available but saved for the defense of Japan) or Ho Ro, versus Shermans, Stuarts, Lee tanks, Matildas and American tank destroyers. The Japanese could also use captured Stuart tanks. The Pacific theater would provide cool kit for Tanks games. I look at Tanks as a miniatures game version of the popular computer game, World of Tanks.
Dgbug  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2016 5:23:13 PM(UTC)
Dgbug

Originally Posted by: Axeman Go to Quoted Post
The Pacific theatre was pretty one-sided in terms of armour. The allies had Shermans, Lees etc. The Japanese had outdated early 1930s light tanks. I'm sure the paint schemes would be cool though.

Actually whole the Japanese had light tanks most of their tanks were specialized. They did have some pretty good armor but in the pacific they rarely saw action. One explanation is that it would take a million men to invade mainland Japan. That's where they kept their heavy armor. Their lighter infantry support vehicles were used to help cross terrain. Anyway they also had amphibious terrain and so the game has a lot of potential. I mean imagine a japanes O 1 against a perishing? They had designs much like the Russians. Though were never in action. I think they had better designs then the Russians at least through half the war. Of they ever needed them well.. You see that point. But from a gameplay standpoint what would their doctrine be? Cheap and heavies? Either really inexpensive and weak with a mega string weapon? Ie 10 or pea shooters with a 50 to 60 point monster?
Axeman  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2016 6:11:06 AM(UTC)
Axeman

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Each to his own but if TANKS turns into a fantasy tank game then I won't continue playing.
Zerstorer  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2016 2:53:53 PM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Each to his own but if TANKS turns into a fantasy tank game then I won't continue playing.

Tanks already includes the Super Pershing. I think maybe one saw any action? None of the Japanese tanks I mentioned were fantasy. The Chi Nu was a production tank and ready to use during the war, but the Japanese held them back to defend the home islands. Tanks currently is a great game, but when each game features the same 2 woods and 4 buildings and equal forces it is far from historically accurate.

I love history, but my gaming time is limited. Light games such as Tanks fit the bill.
Tally - Ho  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 4:20:50 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Zerstorer Go to Quoted Post

Tanks already includes the Super Pershing. I think maybe one saw any action? None of the Japanese tanks I mentioned were fantasy. The Chi Nu was a production tank and ready to use during the war, but the Japanese held them back to defend the home islands. Tanks currently is a great game, but when each game features the same 2 woods and 4 buildings and equal forces it is far from historically accurate.

I love history, but my gaming time is limited. Light games such as Tanks fit the bill.

I think both points of view are valid. (Although as far as terrain goes; you can always add different types of pieces & for those who cannot create their own you can get it from Battlefield in a Box on the gf9 site.)

I myself have always really liked the idea of using some of the more obscure tanks from WW2 but the question is where do you draw the line? If a tank never actually saw action; how do we know how it would have performed? Which begs the question; in regards to the Super Pershing, is one battle enough to make a determination of how it would perform long term?

Ed  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 9:01:10 AM(UTC)
Ed

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
my gaming time is limited. Light games such as Tanks fit the bill.

That's the reason I got into tanks.

Tally - Ho  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 1:09:07 PM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Ed Go to Quoted Post
my gaming time is limited. Light games such as Tanks fit the bill.

That's the reason I got into tanks.

Same for me. (I like that it is a good break from more complicated and involved WW2 gaming.)
That and the fact that it is loosely based on tanks from WW2. If it had been WW1 or Team Yankee I probably would have not been even tempted.
LordOfKhemri  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 11:09:27 PM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Am looking at TY but I can't get used to the fact that a Chieftain/M1 Abrams could be damaged by another tank, what with all that Chobham armour going on.
2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no