Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shifty33  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 6:48:46 PM(UTC)
shifty33

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
So I have a bug concern with non turret tanks. I think the fire ark is to small and way to easy to move out of. Now this wouldn't be a problem if some had higher int but looking at all the tanks in the store the non turret tanks all have the lowest int rating. I think they for that reason will be basically us less seeing as every turret tank will know there facing when they move.

A easy fix I would find is they have a 45° fire ark out the front.

Is any one else notice or feel this way?
Gortag  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 7:53:16 PM(UTC)
Gortag

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Maybe I do not understand you right but the Assault guns have two firing arcs:
one is 180 degree (entire hull is in front of the Asault gun)
the other is a narrow corridor directly in front

See rulebook page 10
Quote:

As an exception, an Assault Gun can
only shoot at a tank if either:
• its entire hull (excluding protruding
gun barrels) is in front of the
Assault Gun, or
• any part of its hull (again excluding
protruding gun barrels) is directly in
front of the Assault Gun.

It is still easy to outmaneuver a single Assault gun. But I can't see the improvement of a 45° firing arc.
StealthWolf84  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 7:58:40 PM(UTC)
StealthWolf84

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Me too... an assault gun can engage targets in his entire front sector, so if you keep it at distance, it can positively fire on anything on the battlefield without being encircled. Ferdinands should be masters in this skill.

http://i.imgur.com/oCqwR2k.png

Despite the name, assault guns are NOT for assault ;)

Maybe you misread the rules?
shifty33  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:05:29 PM(UTC)
shifty33

Yes I did miss read but at the same time I feel they will be very very under powered since everything in the game will go after them and he only 2 pts less then a panzer 4 and has a limited fire ark and 2 less int so my first reaction is not as bad as I though but will don't see why I would take it over a panzer 4 since I won't need to worry about ark and it will go after any non turret tank.
Gortag  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:44:25 PM(UTC)
Gortag

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
OK. I see your point.
When we compare the PIV and the StuG G then we will see a disadvantage for the StuG.

Both have same Damage, Defense, Attack, special rule.

PIV has a better Initiative of 5 (StuG 3 only).
PIV has 4 crew slots (StuG 3 only).
PIV has a higher point value of 17 (StuG 15 only).

Even if I would have for 2 points a "Hasty Driver" to give the Stug Ini 5 (just guessing, maybe there is a crew card like that) the PIV is still better.
shifty33  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:55:54 PM(UTC)
shifty33

now there could easily be crew that only go on the stug that buff it to have its own roll. but at that point should it have that already. i wouldnt mind seeing a rule that would say give them a cover bounus if say they didnt move while in cover that would feel very assault gunny and give them that edge over the panzer 4 so u dont get a turret and u have a limited fireing ark but while in cover and not moving u get theses benefits. so u would wanna take a mix of assault tanks and non assault tanks. seeing as there no max range so the stug sit in the back hidden covering the pz4 as they moved up. idk if thats the best solution or not but its just an idea that i think could work.
actionmackie  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 9:09:29 PM(UTC)
actionmackie

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Not got any of the models but do assault guns have a lower profile so are harder to see, can maybe make better use of cover?
StealthWolf84  
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:10:38 PM(UTC)
StealthWolf84

I totally agree with this last one.

If the job of an assault gun is stay hidden and kill whatever passes in their sights, I feel they should have some specific rule for them when they are in cover, or even stationary... Like +1 defense die, or the enemy rolls 2 less dice if the assault gun is in cover, or a comnbination of both...
actionmackie  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 11:31:40 PM(UTC)
actionmackie

Could add camo netting but the model will be physically lower so will make better use of cover behind hedges or walls rather than having a turret that can be seen. The assault guns are either slightly cheaper or upgunned, may only be a point or two cheaper but am sure there will be some juicy upgrades to make it more useful ;)
StealthWolf84  
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 11:52:39 PM(UTC)
StealthWolf84

I hope so.. You should be much more scared by a Jagdpanther hidden on a table edge than 2 shermans advancing in open field..

Did I miss something on rules about height cover? I remember just rules about tank's corners in cover... O.o
actionmackie  
#11 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2016 12:38:59 AM(UTC)
actionmackie

Going to page 8, Terrain. Buildings and Wood block line of sight to tanks hidden behind them and cover to tanks partially hidden.

Just assumed that if a jagpanther was hidden behind a hedge or wall for example it would be blocked line of sight and no one could fire at it but if it were a panther which is higher, the turret may be visible, sticking over the obstacle and it would count as being in cover.
StealthWolf84  
#12 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2016 1:59:41 AM(UTC)
StealthWolf84

But the definition of cover at page 12 doesn't talk about vertical cover:

"Cover
Add one Defence die if the target tank
is in Cover.
A target is in Cover if you cannot draw a
line from the tank’s turret (or the point
the gun crosses the hull of an Assault
Gun) to at least three corners of the
target tank without passing through any
other tank or any terrain that Blocks
Line of Sight or gives Cover."

This means that your assumption is right (if my turret stands out from a wall, you see me, if I have no turret, you don't), but this also means that a tank can fire and an assault gun cannot, thus negating the perfect position for a tank destroyer: hidden behind a cover, static and firing.
And this is not good.
Maybe we'll have a card upgrade for this kind of tactic, or something like that... But I've been thinking TANKS needs a vertical cover rule since the 1st time I read the rulebook...
nixon187  
#13 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2016 2:08:13 AM(UTC)
nixon187

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: StealthWolf84 Go to Quoted Post
I hope so.. You should be much more scared by a Jagdpanther hidden on a table edge than 2 shermans advancing in open field..

Did I miss something on rules about height cover? I remember just rules about tank's corners in cover... O.o

You really should be scared of a jagdpanther from across the table. ;)
I tried this the last game and it was devastating.

2 shooting phases and 2 enemy tanks were unable to shoot or move. Besides the normal damage.

At first i red the assault gun rule wrong, thinking assault guns are way to bad, but after getting it right, i really love the StuG or Jagdpanther.
But the use of assault gun tanks really depends on terrain. Open maps without much cover are good, same for city-like maps.

A well placed assault gun in the first round and you can stay stationary all game rerolling failed attack dice. That rule really comes in handy, especially as uk player.
Last game i played with 3 shermans, 1 firefly i drove forward on round 1 and stayed stationary in round 2 and 3 destroying my enemy with rerolled semi-indirect fire.

actionmackie  
#14 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2016 3:04:42 AM(UTC)
actionmackie

Stealthwolf84, always open to being wrong but...

If the vehicle is fully hidden behind an obstacle then no line of sight exists.

Buildings block line of sight to vehicles fully hidden behind them. If any of the vehicle is visible then it counts as being in cover as you cannot see three corners of the target tank, eg only seeing the turret. Same goes for destroyed tanks

Woods block line of sight to vehicles fully hidden biding them. If any vehicle is inside or has more than one corner inside the wood then it is in cover.

Am sure things like this will become more clear when FAQ's and things start to come out.

What does this mean for Assault Guns, well smart use of terrain can be used to shield the Gun from enemy tanks, forcing them to come round in front of the barrel
StealthWolf84  
#15 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2016 5:01:14 AM(UTC)
StealthWolf84

Originally Posted by: actionmackie Go to Quoted Post

If the vehicle is fully hidden behind an obstacle then no line of sight exists.

What does this mean for Assault Guns, well smart use of terrain can be used to shield the Gun from enemy tanks, forcing them to come round in front of the barrel

I've not explained well what I meant to say.. I take a step back.

Let's change scenario.
You're in a tank, and you line up your gun on an enemy formation. They're all advancing in line, in open ground, costant speed. Through your scope you see a Pz IV, then a Panther, then a Tiger, and then a Stug. Who's the easiest target (to hit, we're not talking about penetration)?

Of course NOT the StuG. The lil'bastard is so low, it's so much easier to hit a big target like a Tiger or a Panther! (and try to think about a Hetzer and a King Tiger!)

Say, now, that those guys spot you, and they put themselves hull down (which, like in reality, means that they put themselves in a position from where they can fire to the enemy while presenting the smallest target possible), the StuG will be an almost impossible target, leaving out just the gun mantlet and the gunner's iposcopes! The others will present to your sights just the turret, a small but not impossible target.

So, returning to our game, a hedgerow can hide my StuG & my Panther, but the first one won't be able to fire, while the other will be, from a hull down position, and therefore in cover, but this is just a logical assumption, because if you follow the rules, Panther's 4 corners are hidden just like the StuG's ones, so no LOS for both of them.
This applies also on an open but uneven ground, where a StuG can result "hull down" for an enemy simply because the terrain is a bit lower in that spot.

These situations should be possible in the game, but the rules now prevent this smart and efficient way of terrain exploitation.

I think this is a major problem, and to me is a thing to fix ASAP :)

Edited by user Friday, April 1, 2016 5:04:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: grammar

actionmackie  
#16 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2016 5:19:16 AM(UTC)
actionmackie

Going from your game scenario,

I took the corners rule is for tanks that are partially in woodland, looking at p12 anyways.

On p9 the line of sight

"A tanks has a line of sight to its target if you can draw a line from the tank's turret to any part of the target tank without passing through any other tank or any Blocking terrain."

So as long as my tank turret can see any of the panther, even just it's turret I have line of sight, but the panther will be in cover and receive a defence dice. The panther could return fire as a line of sight can be drawn from it's turret back to my tank

Maybe I'm just complicating things with 3D thinking
StealthWolf84  
#17 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2016 6:00:26 AM(UTC)
StealthWolf84

Originally Posted by: actionmackie Go to Quoted Post

"A tanks has a line of sight to its target if you can draw a line from the tank's turret to any part of the target tank without passing through any other tank or any Blocking terrain."

So as long as my tank turret can see any of the panther, even just it's turret I have line of sight, but the panther will be in cover and receive a defence dice. The panther could return fire as a line of sight can be drawn from it's turret back to my tank

Maybe I'm just complicating things with 3D thinking

It's to your 3D thinking that I agree with :)

The rule at page 9 talks about LOS, it doesn't mention cover. It's us "aged" gamers who make the logical assumption "you only see my godamnit turret---> I'm in cover", or worse yet "you see only my gun&iposcopes-----> I'm in cover", but rules do not say this :)

1st fix needed ;)
actionmackie  
#18 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2016 6:26:06 AM(UTC)
actionmackie

Could be worse, "you can see my antennae"
StealthWolf84  
#19 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2016 6:31:08 AM(UTC)
StealthWolf84

That's a bit borderline XD
rcshield  
#20 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2016 9:25:46 AM(UTC)
rcshield

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have also worried a bit about the non-turret tanks in my case the StuG. I plan on keeping them back but am not sure they are costed low enough when compared to other options that do not have the same firing arc limitations. This is made a bit worse by their currently low initiative. I do want to wait and see how upgrade cards effect things and of course some play time. In any case at the moment I feel the Panzer IV is a better option. I really do not have much I can add to the conversation about hull down and low profiles. That I will leave to others more familiar with tank design and evolution.