Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LordOfKhemri  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 1:52:03 AM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Has anyone got the Gaming Mats as shown on the Store?

If so how do you find them in game play?
Are they just pretty scenery or more use than that?
2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
Rhet Sark  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 16, 2016 5:25:25 AM(UTC)
Rhet Sark

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I enjoy having a rolled mat to define my play area as a Star Wars x wing and former Star Trek Attack Wing player.
Before I obtained a gf9 tanks mat, I had tried some green painted 12 x 12 inch squares of craft wood. Carrying 9 of this in my bag was sort of heavy, and left # shaped seams in our play area.

I bought the bocage mat from GF9. It seems rather busy with lots of bocage (hedgerows) on it, and some roads (that we as yet do not have official rules to use).

We tried it out with the scenario #2 that was posted. I think that as written, that scenario should be played with just the 2 bocages it was meant for. Using the mat added MUCH more terrain than we needed for a game we were playing with a turn limit.

My next game will be played on a 3 x 3 sheet of cut grass mat from the terrain company Woodland Scenics. They don't make mats, but I cut a mat out of a bigger roll of terrain supply. On top of just a 3 x 3 base of green, I can add forest, buildings, or bocage as needed.

IF GF9 would print and sell a blank green grass mat (almost like the Normandy mat, but without beach and water) I would buy that to use instead.
thanks 1 user thanked Rhet Sark for this useful post.
janw90 on 12/9/2016(UTC)
Thundertotem  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2016 6:25:40 PM(UTC)
Thundertotem

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I'm not too keen on the GF9 mats. I use a flocked felt mat from another company and gonna be ordering a neoprene/mousepad game mat next month. I find them a little more durable, since I do travel a bit to play my games.
Panzer Vor!!!
D.J.  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 17, 2016 11:06:20 PM(UTC)
D.J.

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I use a 90 * 90cm piece of lawn carpet for our small group of three players, as it is used for balconies here in Germany. The chains of the tanks lock themselves somewhat, but they do not slip during the game.
The terrain can be interpreted freely according to choice and mission. Streets are in the consideration, as I still consider how I could represent.

UserPostedImage

At Saturday we meet for some battles and Sunday oder Monday I'LL write some battlerreports, where you can see this Playground in Game.
It works for us well.
Rhet Sark  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 4:09:37 AM(UTC)
Rhet Sark

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I bought some street terrain made of rubber and painted like dirt roads. It came in straight, curved, "T" and "+" intersections.

I replaced my home made roads which were just straight pieces of craft wood that I painted gray on one side for hard roads, and brown on the other for dirt.
Tally - Ho  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 6:06:36 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I do not use the mats because for some reason I have a hard time relating things like line of sight & cover to printed terrain. (I know I am a little weird in this regard.)

To create roads I know of some folks who use rolls of sandpaper.
It does not look too bad & you can cut out curves and intersections from square sheets.

If you wanted to make it look better you could sprinkle other scenic materials on top of it. Or glue clumps of green foliage on each side to make hedges.
Dr.Dave  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2016 6:24:38 AM(UTC)
Dr.Dave

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
For roads - go to a pound a time shop and sometimes you can get a pack of those cheapo sticky floor tiles. If you're lucky , one common pattern is a textured grey. Makes great roads when cut with a Stanley knife. You can flock or dry brush them a bit if you wish for more realism.

Then - pull off the backing and sprinkle sand all over the sticky surface. Now you have a tarmac road and a dirt road on the reverse.

If you paint them a grey/blue on the good side you have a river with a dirt road on the reverse. The river looks better if you smear some decorators caulk about a bit to make ripples before you paint them.

Simps.
thanks 1 user thanked Dr.Dave for this useful post.
Tally - Ho on 11/18/2016(UTC)
Kelvin  
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2016 12:27:07 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Lets just say i have mats. Not from store but same sorta thing. Yes they are excellent. Firstly, storage is much easier, secondly unlike a modular board you are free to arrange terrain freshly EVERY game you play. Also they just add a level of beauty to your game. For example I got a really nice 6x3 nebulas mat for star trek attack wing and my god does it set the scene. Mats on store are very likely same deal too. Im even tempted to get them as my current "Ground war" mats are overkill size wise for tanks (Theyre 6x4 I think). Price wise theyre fair too, as other brands and sizes can be 50-65 pounds sterling. My only advice is make sure that the design can work with other games you play if you get me.
LS650  
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 24, 2016 4:42:13 PM(UTC)
LS650

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kelvin Go to Quoted Post
Im even tempted to get them as my current "Ground war" mats are overkill size wise for tanks (Theyre 6x4 I think).

Just fold it in half and you have a more reasonably sized 3'x4' mat.