Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MATRAKA14  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 9:46:10 AM(UTC)
MATRAKA14

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi we played some games and here is one of them.

This one was up to 50 points, we played with the following crits based on previews:

bailed out
engine damage
gun damage

We used the exact same map as the example in the pdfs, we used paper because of some inconveniences.
UserPostedImage

At first turn both sides approach each other carefully.
UserPostedImage

At turn 2 the t34s stay still patiently, while german vehicles approach.
UserPostedImage

The next turn t34s make 3 moves and they end up in front of the panther, this one moves to cover and the p4 keeps his way. Panther shoots and hits some shots but they are nullified by defence rolls, the first t34 shoots and destroys the panther with one shot?! engine crit with 2 damage makes things to easy.

The following turn t34s overkill the last target.
UserPostedImage

Impressions.

The good:
Fast to play.
Not so many miniatures required, you can play all the factions without spending much money
easy to learn.
Maneuvering is EXTREMELY fun, and the part of the game with more unused potential.

The bad:
To simple, extremely simple.
Dice sistem, d6 don't file nice at all in this game.
Tanks seem to die extremely fast.
Tank stats are not quite relevant.

Random thoughts:
I'm aware that i have played an incomplete version of the game, but at this point cards need to be really good to make the game interesting at all.
I really like the idea, i really do, but it feels not well developed at all, with 2, 4 or 5 tanks per side you have a lot of space to make some more interesting rules.

Turrets should be limited to 90º rotations per turn.
Side and specially rear shots should be more rewarding.
Side shots should have an X pattern like warhammer the T shape is to easy to use avoiding side shots.
Barrels should be blocked by scenography.
Expensive tanks dont feel worth it, cheap medium tanks are just superior price/performance.
At this moment its really hard to see an upgraded tank being better than 2 default tanks.
Hits with 4+ feel like too much especially limiting the def rolls to 6.
Without the cards all the tanks feel too similar, and its hard to imagine this getting better with upgrades.
Not being able to buy all the cards is a pain because cards seem to have 50% of the rules, and almost all the players are going to miss some of them.
Hull machineguns could have some use? pin bailout crews?
Raming.
Limited ammo!

For home made rules i see myself changing entirelly the dice sistem:
T34 shoots panhter, t34 has mid pen so it shoots 2 d20 or d10 dices (stats on card), panther needs X number to be pen (stats on card), if those 2 dices have a superior number it scores a pen, if you score the same number its a glance but if you have a "big gun" then you can still pen or make damage.

Then you roll once more for damage, t34 has high explosive so rolls 3 dice if he archives X+ number it makes X damage, if it scores Y+ number makes a crit, if it scores Z number it makes no damage.
For example a panther with more pen and less explosive trys to pen with 3 dices and makes damage with 2 because low explosive rounds. this way you can have a lot more gun flavour.

This are some ideas but i have a lot more of them if anyone is interested.

Overall im disapointed with the game, i will play it with cards and upgrades because i really whant this to work, but right now im not optimistic.

Edited by user Saturday, August 6, 2016 11:20:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked MATRAKA14 for this useful post.
Sean at TANKS HQ on 3/30/2016(UTC), WolfBenrath on 3/30/2016(UTC), D.J. on 4/4/2016(UTC)
Sean at TANKS HQ  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 10:10:51 AM(UTC)
Sean at TANKS HQ

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MATRAKA14 Go to Quoted Post

Defence rolls also succeed on 4+, this should make those tanks last a little longer.

I do hope you give the game another go once the proper cards are available.
MATRAKA14  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 10:20:03 AM(UTC)
MATRAKA14

Originally Posted by: Sean at TANKS HQ Go to Quoted Post

Defence rolls also succeed on 4+, this should make those tanks last a little longer.

I do hope you give the game another go once the proper cards are available.

Im talking about the limit number of defence dices "6" for example 2 for armour + cover + ...
We played it exactly as core rules say.

Like i said i will try again. And i really like the concept. But it needs more flavour and depth. Even a small amount of realism.
Sean at TANKS HQ  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 10:45:05 AM(UTC)
Sean at TANKS HQ

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Ah, my mistake.

In that case, the Soviet player was very lucky to take out a Panther in one attack.
TankMaster2000  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 1:34:42 PM(UTC)
TankMaster2000

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Yeah vary lucky.

A T-34, with 4 attack dice doing 6 damage to a Panther (a Panther that would have had at lest 4 defense dice) in one turn of shooting seems really really lucky...

Why didn't the panther move away since it got to move after the T-34? it could have moved in such a way to get 6 defense dice with a single move.

MATRAKA14  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 9:50:53 PM(UTC)
MATRAKA14

Originally Posted by: TankMaster2000 Go to Quoted Post
Yeah vary lucky.

A T-34, with 4 attack dice doing 6 damage to a Panther (a Panther that would have had at lest 4 defense dice) in one turn of shooting seems really really lucky...

Why didn't the panther move away since it got to move after the T-34? it could have moved in such a way to get 6 defense dice with a single move.

T34/85 at 25 points each firepower 5, 6 if the special rule applies. (i was the soviet player in that one)
The panther had more than 6 defense dices in that roll, in fact in that one we rolled 7 or 8 because everyone moving at full speed + cover + armour. we read the 6 limit just after that.

the game could work a lot better with less dices with bigger numbers like d20 or d10. the d6 gaps are to big.

Originally Posted by: Sean at TANKS HQ Go to Quoted Post
Ah, my mistake.

In that case, the Soviet player was very lucky to take out a Panther in one attack.

Even if it was lucky, there was a second t34/85 waiting to make his shot with one additional atack dice for being in range with the first t34 (this rule with the difficult and not rewarding side shots, promote mindles unit groups, especially with soviets)

Edited by user Wednesday, March 30, 2016 10:10:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

StealthWolf84  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 10:36:57 PM(UTC)
StealthWolf84

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Maybe the T-34s had that much success because they're easier to use, compared to a Panther..

I mean, even in any other game (FoW, just to name one), less elite tanks are not better than a good number of standard tanks.. I used to use Tiger I and Ferdinand, and my enemy usually had 5 Stuarts, 4 Shermans, 2 105mm arty, and with all that he can choose where to attack, he could afford losses, and had a hell lot of dice to roll...

Probably you just have to learn how to put in good use the Panther.. And I think cards will be very important, to the game...

PS it seldom happens to see such a shame, like a I-CHEW-YOUR-ARMOR tank dying under a bad dice roll... :(
StealthWolf84  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 10:45:37 PM(UTC)
StealthWolf84

Hull machineguns could have some use? pin bailout crews?
Raming.
Limited ammo!

Hull MGs= I approve the use of MGs, but I fear that adding a rule for them is not justified by a return of in-game fun.

Ramming= I'll always be against this feature. Even if it's possible, no good tanker would sacrifice their vehicle like this. So I don't want a rule covering the 0,1% of cases. The only way to go is a "hero" stat on a card. Just that.

Limited ammo= I'd say no, just for the scale of the game... we're talking about 2 platoons of tanks in a fast engagement, so how many shots would you fire in reality? maybe between 10 and 30... So ammo shortages should not be a concern...

What do you say?
Gortag  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 11:03:27 PM(UTC)
Gortag

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi,

thank you for sharing your impressions.

Quote:

gun damage

Where did you see that damage card?

T34/85 can destroy a Panther with one shot only. I can confirm that.
And yes, that was a very lucky shot.

There were some strange dice rolls in favour of the Russians.
But the game outcome was also a result from your (Russian player) tactics.
The T34/85 did wait behind the wood unless the poor German tanks moved in the open.
What will happen if the German player is hiding his tanks behind the other wood, too? Waiting for your advance.
I think the game is more interesting using scenarios or objectives.

Why didn't move the Panther "behind" one of the T34 to get out of line of sight from the other T34? I know in your example it is not important because the Panther was destroyed.

I would suggest you play another game (maybe switch armies between the players).

Hull Mgs?
Ramming?
Limited ammo?

I agree with StealthWolf84. I don't like this.

Use other dice?
Maybe. You are right. Using D6 will have some strange (extreme) results. A single lucky roll with lots of 6 as a result will destroy all your tactics.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 30, 2016 11:06:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Bane  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 11:26:36 PM(UTC)
Bane

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'am not sure how well you can test and rate the game without knowing it's full potential. I could guess that specially Upgrade-Cards will have a high impact - at least I'll hope that. Who knows which Upgrades we might see here - maybe some One Use Staff that let you drop a Crit a.s.o

It's an easy game - fast & furious, like X-Wing. It's not a full simulation for Tank-Battles.

But I'll hope that there is some Balance between Quantity and Quality. X-Wing had a similar problem in the first 2 years of the game because more ships (Swarms) were much bedder than Elite-Pilots - a matter that changed with Wave IV and new Upgrades!

MATRAKA14  
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:16:48 AM(UTC)
MATRAKA14

Originally Posted by: StealthWolf84 Go to Quoted Post
Maybe the T-34s had that much success because they're easier to use, compared to a Panther..

I mean, even in any other game (FoW, just to name one), less elite tanks are not better than a good number of standard tanks.. I used to use Tiger I and Ferdinand, and my enemy usually had 5 Stuarts, 4 Shermans, 2 105mm arty, and with all that he can choose where to attack, he could afford losses, and had a hell lot of dice to roll...

Probably you just have to learn how to put in good use the Panther.. And I think cards will be very important, to the game...

PS it seldom happens to see such a shame, like a I-CHEW-YOUR-ARMOR tank dying under a bad dice roll... :(

They seem to have some good advantedge, they have less armour but they can move 3 times and that is kind of better, they are cheaper, and can make the same damage when piled together.
At first glance is really hard to see an upgraded tank as good as two default tanks considering the known heroes, upgrades and prices.

Hull MGs= I approve the use of MGs, but I fear that adding a rule for them is not justified by a return of in-game fun.

Ramming= I'll always be against this feature. Even if it's possible, no good tanker would sacrifice their vehicle like this. So I don't want a rule covering the 0,1% of cases. The only way to go is a "hero" stat on a card. Just that.

Limited ammo= I'd say no, just for the scale of the game... we're talking about 2 platoons of tanks in a fast engagement, so how many shots would you fire in reality? maybe between 10 and 30... So ammo shortages should not be a concern...

What do you say?

Limited ammo could be an upgrade with "-price" instead of "+price" the tank comes from another battle without replenishing ammo so it can shoot a limited amount of turns, when its out it should be able to make other things like capture objectives, use hull mgs or ram. Ram should be really risky and limited, but those are some random ideas, im more concerned with armour, side/rear shots, dice sistem, and lack of movement mechanics like barrels moving 90º per turn or slow tanks, moving through buildings, barrels blocked by scenography. You know thing that fit well with a wargame oriented in tanks.

I dont know, moving shooting, and repair seems not enough, and maneuvering a tank with a coming dangerous situation feels fun but its not well used here, it needs more mechanics inspired by tank warfare, to improve the game and differentiate it from other games.

Originally Posted by: Gortag Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

thank you for sharing your impressions.

Quote:

gun damage

Where did you see that damage card?

Use other dice?
Maybe. You are right. Using D6 will have some strange (extreme) results. A single lucky roll with lots of 6 as a result will destroy all your tactics.

That one is home made, my bad.

Yes, its the d6 2+ armour 40k sindrome + limited defense rolls and armour being less relevant than speed.

Originally Posted by: Bane Go to Quoted Post
I'am not sure how well you can test and rate the game without knowing it's full potential. I could guess that specially Upgrade-Cards will have a high impact - at least I'll hope that. Who knows which Upgrades we might see here - maybe some One Use Staff that let you drop a Crit a.s.o

It's an easy game - fast & furious, like X-Wing. It's not a full simulation for Tank-Battles.

But I'll hope that there is some Balance between Quantity and Quality. X-Wing had a similar problem in the first 2 years of the game because more ships (Swarms) were much bedder than Elite-Pilots - a matter that changed with Wave IV and new Upgrades!

Indeed thats why they are my first impressions and not the full review, i will try with the full game, i'm just not optimistic.

By now x-wing feels way better, we will see with the full game.

Edited by user Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:25:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

StealthWolf84  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 4:39:49 AM(UTC)
StealthWolf84

Limited ammo could be an upgrade with "-price" instead of "+price" the tank comes from another battle without replenishing ammo so it can shoot a limited amount of turns, when its out it should be able to make other things like capture objectives, use hull mgs or ram.

it needs more mechanics inspired by tank warfare, to improve the game and differentiate it from other games.

Then you must add counters for turns and\or ammo... again, it will trade a certain amount of complexity for a little more fun. Not a good trade, I think.

For the "tank tactics", I can say this:
Tank warfare is a science involving battles in a space of, say, 10 square Km.
Some tank has a long range, "sniper" gun (germans heavies, usually), others have guns effective at a shorter range against most of foes (meds), others are very fast and can reposition and scout for the rest of the force... then we have arty and fighter-bombers.

In this game, the entire sector is 1 square km (almost literally, if we use 15mm, which is 1\100).
It makes sense with the point costs: the nazi guys have denied their best weapon, superior range of penetration... So tank tactics are not very useful here, I guess.

PS for the rotation of turrets with buildings, I prefer to have no restrictions. Again, the scale of the game prevents you to fully recreate a terrain, so it's better to leave some "mental space" for little things.

IMHO :)

Edited by user Thursday, March 31, 2016 4:43:19 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MATRAKA14  
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:08:30 AM(UTC)
MATRAKA14

Then you must add counters for turns and\or ammo... again, it will trade a certain amount of complexity for a little more fun. Not a good trade, I think.

Just brainstorming, because right now the miniatures could be anything, helicopters, space marines, boats. everything could fit because there is no core rules with real tank flavour.

For the "tank tactics", I can say this:
Tank warfare is a science involving battles in a space of, say, 10 square Km.
Some tank has a long range, "sniper" gun (germans heavies, usually), others have guns effective at a shorter range against most of foes (meds), others are very fast and can reposition and scout for the rest of the force... then we have arty and fighter-bombers.

In this game, the entire sector is 1 square km (almost literally, if we use 15mm, which is 1\100).
It makes sense with the point costs: the nazi guys have denied their best weapon, superior range of penetration... So tank tactics are not very useful here, I guess.

More or less agree and thats why you can focus on rules reflecting individual tank situations and maneuvering, because there is more or less at max (100 points) 5 tanks per side and you have plenty of room to implement more core rules.

Maybe turret collisions can be a bit tricky but 90º per turn should definitely be in. (it rewards splitting forces and flank attacks, and you can feel the pressure of a heavy tank turning the gun to destroy you in the next turn if your roll is not good enough, then you can add some turret blocked crits "makes your tank turretless but still able to shoot")

Yes you are negating advantages of german tanks in close range but they should reflect this in points because the game needs to be well balanced.

Armour feels to irrelevant especially with the 6 dice limit, and movement is a better "cheaper" way to gain protection.

Maybe we can expect a set of official additional/optional rules in the future?

Edited by user Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:15:46 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

StealthWolf84  
#14 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:40:32 AM(UTC)
StealthWolf84

Maybe turret collisions can be a bit tricky but 90º per turn should definitely be in. (it rewards splitting forces and flank attacks, and you can feel the pressure of a heavy tank turning the gun to destroy you in the next turn if your roll is not good enough, then you can add some turret blocked crits "makes your tank turretless but still able to shoot")

Maybe we can expect a set of official additional/optional rules in the future?

I agree with both :)
StealthWolf84  
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 10:44:31 AM(UTC)
StealthWolf84

PS Matraka, I see you're spanish.. from where?

I lived (or at least i tried to live) in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria for a couple of months, 1 year ago.

Me gusta mucho el idioma de tu nacion :)
actionmackie  
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 9:15:38 PM(UTC)
actionmackie

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I think the core rules will remain the same but probably see new rules added using abilities and equipment much in the same way as X Wing has grown, the rulebook has stayed the same but each wave adds a little more
Vincent3  
#17 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 9:47:12 PM(UTC)
Vincent3

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Hello everyone.

Thanks for the report and opinions. Cant wait for my shipment and full rules to test Tanks myself.

I have a question - 6 defense dice limit was mentioned. Where is it in the rulebook? I cant find it.

As for opinions about complexicity etc. - I guess they had to make a difficult choice between fast and enjoyable game and detailed simulation. From my experience whatever detailed rules are put in the skirmish games, in the end they are all just more of time-consuming dice rolling and luck-dependent results. All in all its just static models and dice, hard to simulate live combat with that. Also it happens often that rules that should represent corner case scenario (like ramming) are working so well that they are used all the time and the games start looking ridiculous.

I agree however that maneuvering should have more impact - more developed range and side/rear mechanics than in FoW would be nice.

As for one-shooting tanks. Well, its irritating side of most skirmishes - you only have couple of models and loosing one fast hurts. On the other side, the alternative would be making tanks resilient juggernauts with large "hitpoints" pool, which would be bad as well and would encourage people to "tank" shots instead of using carewful maneuvering. I think the answer is to play somewhat bigger games (like 75-100 points) where player has chance to compensate the unlucky loss with other models.

Edited by user Monday, April 18, 2016 9:48:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

actionmackie  
#18 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 9:57:58 PM(UTC)
actionmackie

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Maximum defense dice rule is on p11
Vincent3  
#19 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 10:00:49 PM(UTC)
Vincent3

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: actionmackie Go to Quoted Post
Maximum defense dice rule is on p11

Thanks. I see it finaly. :)
MATRAKA14  
#20 Posted : Saturday, August 6, 2016 11:20:08 AM(UTC)
MATRAKA14

I have bought the starter and decided to give a fair second chance to the game, this is going to be my honest opinion about it, and i hope it helps to give feedback.

With more matches under the belt i have changed my opinion, the game is better than initially expected, the card decks help a lot but i still think it has weak points and also good potential.

If i could change just one thing in the game to make it better i would chose turret mechanics without any doubt, a tank game by definition should have some kind of turret mechanic, i have tested some home made rules and they work wonders for the game, it adds more thought on how maneuver your units, also suddenly a turret jammed could force you to show your side to attack.

That change could improve a lot the game, but i still have 2 more concerns the first one is how lose the movement rules are and its a shame because i feel it could be the strongest part of the game, it could be easily fixed with some tournament ready rules. For example problems like tanks moving through each other, tanks trying to flank each other in close combat creating crazy spirals of movements that brake the suspension of disbelief, or just tanks being able to move backward with full speed and other similar problems.

The last concern is a really small detail. The game is arcade, easy to learn and those are strong points but i see it missing the chance to be more historically friendly or "educational" by this i don't mean changing the game or the core mechanics but making less things like "bliezkrieg" this rules make this 44,8 t tank faster because of reasons and more about historically justified rules like the existing ammunition cards with the name of the ammo or cards with the name of the gun sights and other real life equipment for example.

With those things fixed the game can become outstanding, and so i have high hopes for future updates.

The game has things that i like a lot, its cheap to collect all the factions you like, its easy to learn, because the low number of units you can take it everyware, even to a bar or a cafe to play with friends wile talking and having some drinks.

It seems like the game has got a better reception than expected due the low stock of the products, i’m glad about it because it makes possible future reditions or updates. Looking to the future my thought about the game are:

GaleForce has one hard decision to make and is how to go forward, we have seen op packs that are really interesting because the added rules but fragmenting this rules can be dangerous if you are not compiling them in one place for a complete experience, they can't introduce more units until battlefront makes more plastic models but if they introduce them they have the risk of overlapping tanks and factions.
Other random thoughts for the long run I suggest additional units but separated by early and late war. A solution to access all the rules and or cards is going to be needed for competitive matches. A realistic mode expansion with additional rules or redesigned gameplay is not so crazy, there is nothing like it out there and it could be a selling point for historical players or wargame veterans looking for even more depth, also more content for gf tanks veterans.

P.D.
Additional home rules that i see fun to use, and could inspire other players.

Split the Crit cards for front, side and rear. this makes the flanks rewarding, also its easier to hit the ammo from the side, and the engine for the rear. So you have the opportunity to increase the chances of archiving the crit you want. It feels almost like aiming!

If tanks move backwards they can only move one arrow back and 0 arrow to the front that turn. Fast tanks can move back 2 and 0 to the front.

I really hope this feedback is useful, i will keep an eye on this game for sure, and i hope it grows strong and evolves accordingly.