Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AnotherTanker  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 10:02:03 PM(UTC)
AnotherTanker

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
In Tanks: The WW2 Tank Skirmish Game, all the tank cards come with average crews. Here is a great idea to add some upgrades to modify the initiative rating of a tank. These cards would all be Global Cards (can be taken by anyone), and would be Upgrade Cards and not Crew Cards. The cards would be called Crew Training/Experience or something like that, and only one of these upgrade cards can be added to a tank. A total of six (4x add, 2x subtract) different cards are available to choose from as follows:

-- -- --

+1 Crew Training/Experience (Point Cost = 1)
This tank increases its initiative by +1.

While tank design is important, crew training and/or combat experience also played an important part when a tank went into battle.

-- -- --

+2 Crew Training/Experience (Point Cost = 3)
This tank increases its initiative by +2.

While tank design is important, crew training and/or combat experience also played an important part when a tank went into battle.

-- -- --

+3 Crew Training/Experience (Point Cost = 5)
This tank increases its initiative by +3.

-- -- --

+4 Crew Training/Experience (Point Cost = 8)
This tank increases its initiative by +4.

-- -- --

-1 Crew Training/Experience (Point Cost = -1)
This tank decreases its initiative by -1.

-- -- --

-2 Crew Training/Experience (Point Cost = -3)
This tank decreases its initiative by -2.

-- -- --

Edited by user Sunday, November 6, 2016 8:01:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LordOfKhemri  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2016 11:14:51 PM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
I take it that these would alter the basic Init of the tank.

So I gain 3 points by reducing an Su100 to -1 initiative that I was going to radio anyway.

Not sure about these, also cut and past error, +4 init only states +3I for 8 points.
2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
AnotherTanker  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 3, 2016 8:55:04 AM(UTC)
AnotherTanker

Originally Posted by: LordOfKhemri Go to Quoted Post
I take it that these would alter the basic Init of the tank.

So I gain 3 points by reducing an Su100 to -1 initiative that I was going to radio anyway.

Not sure about these, also cut and past error, +4 init only states +3I for 8 points.

Correct, the upgrade cards adjust the starting base initiative value of the tank. For example if you wanted to downgrade a Panther's crew using the "-2 Crew Training/Experience", the Panther's initiative rating would be 5 and the point cost would be 29.

As for downgrading, there would be a rule that does not allow the player to reduce a tank's initiative value below 0, so a tank like the SU-100 cannot be given the "-2 Crew Training/Experience" card.

Fixed the typo above. Changed the "+3" to "+4" for the "+4 Crew Training/Experience" upgrade.
Thanks for catching that.

JagdWehrwolf  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2016 10:44:42 AM(UTC)
JagdWehrwolf

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AnotherTanker Go to Quoted Post
In Tanks: The WW2 Tank Skirmish Game, all the tank cards come with average crews. Here is a great idea to add some upgrades to modify the initiative rating of a tank. These cards would all be Global Cards (can be taken by anyone), and would be Upgrade Cards and not Crew Cards. The cards would be called Crew Training/Experience or something like that, and only one of these upgrade cards can be added to a tank. A total of six (4x add, 2x subtract) different cards are available to choose from as follows:
<snip>
-- -- --

Sorry my Friend, but do You actually have/play the game? Because we already got these. Aggressive, Cunning, Superb, Inspired Commanders and more. Interesting idea with dropping the Ini. Maybe Inexperienced Commander.
AnotherTanker  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 5, 2016 5:51:51 AM(UTC)
AnotherTanker

Originally Posted by: JagdWehrwolf Go to Quoted Post
<snip>
-- -- --

Sorry my Friend, but do You actually have/play the game? Because we already got these. Aggressive, Cunning, Superb, Inspired Commanders and more. Interesting idea with dropping the Ini. Maybe Inexperienced Commander.

I own and play the game.

These are overall global upgrade cards and are not specific crew cards because overall crew training and/or combat experience also played an important part when a tank went into battle.

For example, you can take a Stug G, then add a "+3 Crew Training/Experience" card, then add a "superb commander" card, then add a "Precise Loader" card and have a Stug G with an initiative rating of 7 (3+3+1) at a cost of 26 points (15+5+2+4), and the ability to re-roll one attack die per turn.

Its a good way to close the gap between extreme initiative values, but at a cost.

Yes, it really is that simple and easy. gf9 has my full permission to use this idea. Now if gf9 uses this neat little idea or not is a different story.

Tally - Ho  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 5, 2016 4:35:01 PM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
<snip>
-- -- --

I own and play the game.

These are overall global upgrade cards and are not specific crew cards because overall crew training and/or combat experience also played an important part when a tank went into battle.

For example, you can take a Stug G, then add a "+3 Crew Training/Experience" card, then add a "superb commander" card, then add a "Precise Loader" card and have a Stug G with an initiative rating of 7 (3+3+1) at a cost of 26 points (15+5+2+4), and the ability to re-roll one attack die per turn.

Its a good way to close the gap between extreme initiative values, but at a cost.

Yes, it really is that simple and easy. gf9 has my full permission to use this idea. Now if gf9 uses this neat little idea or not is a different story.

This idea seems a little redundant to me. Frankly I prefer the way it is now. Mostly because I like the concept of using individual crew cards to change different aspects of the tanks capabilities. (Sometimes I prefer better firepower to more initiative.) I also think this lends itself to more options for additional crew cards down the road.

I still think that making a type of doctrine card that allows you to upgrade an aspect of your whole tank force would be a better option. (Like a Guards Tankovy Division card that increases the initiative of all your tanks.)

The only aspect of the OP's suggestion that has any appeal to me is the idea of adding less experienced crew to lower the points cost. Although that may be a bit too cumbersome. The only advantage to this would be if you needed the points for another unit.
JagdWehrwolf  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 6, 2016 12:14:40 AM(UTC)
JagdWehrwolf

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 19 post(s)

I own and play the game.

It's all good, but You're forgetting the other side of the spectrum. Upgrades are not limited to low Ini tanks only. What's to stop, let's say Comet to add +4 Ini card? So I remain unconvinced.
AnotherTanker  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 6, 2016 7:56:15 PM(UTC)
AnotherTanker

Upgrades are not limited to low Ini tanks only. What's to stop, let's say Comet to add +4 Ini card?

Point costs.

Adding these Crew Training/Experience cards are two fold: Not only do these cards close the gap between extreme initiative values, but they also add another tactical level to the game in a very easy and simple way.

For example, While secretly building their forces, player-G (German) decides to buy Panther tanks, but fearing that player-A (American) will upgrade the crews of his Sherman tanks, player-G adds Crew Training/Experience cards to all his Panther tanks. This way he can keep the initiative advantage. However, when both players review their builds, player-G discovers that player-A did not spend any points for Crew Training/Experience cards, and quickly realizes that he just spent a lot of points on something that does nothing for him.

Overall, the Crew Training/Experience cards will benefit the lower initiative value tanks, but that doesn't mean they cannot be applied to higher initiative value tanks. Because tanks with high initiative values cost more points, a player might be reluctant to spend/risk more points on them.

Tally - Ho  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2016 1:48:53 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I was thinking I was missing something so I did some checking on this and some other forums I frequent to see how big of an issue the Initiative disparity is.

Now it could be that my research is flawed; but, I did not seem to find that this is a huge issue.
Maybe I missed something.

- Based on the lack of support; I am not sure this is a great idea. But that is just one man's opinion.

Edited by user Monday, November 7, 2016 1:49:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Sp

AnotherTanker  
#10 Posted : Monday, November 7, 2016 7:37:30 PM(UTC)
AnotherTanker