Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Farkongnome  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:10:06 PM(UTC)
Farkongnome

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Question relating to the game. Say you buy a Panzer IV set, and want to field 4 of them in a game. Since you only get 1 card in the expansion pack, how are we supposed to field the other 3 tanks? Are we technically allowed to make photocopies of the cards so we can use as many as we want, or will there be digital versions for us to download?

Since I already have a substantial German army for Fow, I would prefer to only have to buy 1 pack to get the card rather than risk the wrath of my wife.
Sean at TANKS HQ  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:18:39 PM(UTC)
Sean at TANKS HQ

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Any official event will likely require that you use official cards, and obviously we would like for you to help support the continued development of the game with your purchases.

That being said, we can't exactly dictate how you play the game at home.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:20:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

tinfish  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:36:19 PM(UTC)
tinfish

More than happy to support the game, but I will have 9 Panthers when it arrives, any chance of selling card decks with a few copies of each tanks card in them?
Don't rightly mind buying decks for Germans/USA/UK/USSR etc, but I really don't need any more tanks :)
Farkongnome  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:40:34 PM(UTC)
Farkongnome

Yeah, playing at home I can understand.... But those of us that already have massive amounts of tanks from BF would prefer that we can purchase cards individually rather than buying boxes of tanks we already own in spades.

Now I know I can always sell these tanks to other FoW players, but it just seems like more work to me /shrug

For the record: I am more than willing to support this game!

Edited by user Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:43:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Andrew at Tanks HQ  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 2:50:56 PM(UTC)
Andrew at Tanks HQ

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 45 post(s)
The Starter set is aggressively priced at 25.00$ US and is basically a large card pack, it has one of each tank card along with upgrade cards and basic crew cards.

For existing flames players who already have Flames of War Plastic Tanks I would highly recommend picking up 1-2 starter sets as it comes with a lot of other things you need to play, Damage decks, Arrows, terrain and Tokens.
Farkongnome  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 3:06:28 PM(UTC)
Farkongnome

I plan on getting 2 starter sets for the cards/tokens, but my question was more geared to the expansions....

Having to buy 4 panzer IVs when I have 25 currently will make my wife question my sanity and hobby budget..
Thundertotem  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 7:09:45 PM(UTC)
Thundertotem

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Farkongnome Go to Quoted Post
Question relating to the game. Say you buy a Panzer IV set, and want to field 4 of them in a game. Since you only get 1 card in the expansion pack, how are we supposed to field the other 3 tanks? Are we technically allowed to make photocopies of the cards so we can use as many as we want, or will there be digital versions for us to download?

Since I already have a substantial German army for Fow, I would prefer to only have to buy 1 pack to get the card rather than risk the wrath of my wife.

Well, the intention is if you are gonna field PzIVs you are gonna have to purchase 4 tank sets. It makes it tough for those that already have the tanks, but I do understand GF9 view on the subject. If we are gonna see this game become successful, supporting it by buying product will help.

Now I'd hope GF9 will release card sets for armies down the road.
Panzer Vor!!!
actionmackie  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2016 7:11:23 PM(UTC)
actionmackie

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
What the wife doesn't know won't hurt her, having to hide my copy of Girls und Panzer
rcshield  
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2016 2:09:29 PM(UTC)
rcshield

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have a large collection of FOW tanks. Not much with regards to regular playing groups close to home. My son prefers the smaller skirmish games. Tanks is a sure win for us. The need for extra cards comes up a lot and even tanks for newer players. We hope to trade some cards at Gencon. We will not be playing all the factions. We also plan on buying two starter sets and a few expansions to get our collection started. In any case different answers for different people.
Chris Fisher  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 4, 2017 4:28:09 AM(UTC)
Chris Fisher

If GF9 expects to keep the players it already has, it needs to support them, not the other way around. Games Workshop just released the 8th edition of Warhammer 40k, The rules are such a radical departure from their previous systems that it made all the previous army books useless. So, they ALSO published all the unit updates and unit data sheets at the same time. Every unit. Every army. You have everything you need to play with the models you already have. Sure, they're also including data sheets in the new model sets as well, but you don't need to repurchase everything just to get the datasheets. Until GF9 and Flames of War wise up and do the same thing, I won't be playing their new games and neither will anyone else I play with as we all have had the same reaction to buying the 4th edition book only to find out we can't actually play it.
Kelvin  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 4, 2017 5:39:38 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 17 post(s)
You could use the old pen and paper plus a subtle number painted on underside of each tank. Card becomes pure reference for that type of vehicle.

I also would like card decks, but coming from a GW background (specifacally LOTR with the hero abilities) Ive had to work around these probs for years.

Other advice would be keep your Flames of War force large and Tanks force smaller, it is intended as a skirmish game. My Tanks US is literally a 76 sherman, 2 75 sherman, a pershing and a jackson. Thats it until more comes out.

I got two brit and german forces, one each for africa and other late war, both are about same as US size.

If you gonna use 20 plus tanks a game, may as well go full FOW in my opinion.
Kelvin Griffiths, Attack Wing Captain, Lord Of Rings Hero and Tank Commander. Sort of...
Uthak  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, July 4, 2017 6:16:58 AM(UTC)
Uthak

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 13 post(s)
On a personal note I like to play with all original "equipment" or "made for intent" (as in substitute models/upgrades/crew/decals from other companies but in correct scale and purpose (a Sherman is not a good tiger substitute). No proxies, no copies.

However I too know that I'm pretty uptight about this and would say before you cant play at all, or your friends cant play/someone just wants to try out, I do recommend making make-shift cards temporarily and see if the game is worth supporting for you. From experience I can tell you its just so much nicer to hold the real deal in your hand than a handwritten scrap paper or a faded out wiggly copied card... From an opponents point of view, i have very little interest playing against a handwritten, paper-copy unit of legobrick-tank-proxis being pushed around on a white table cloth and stacks of books as buildings.

In any case it is important to have a card for every tank on the field - one way or another - as any upgrades should be place next to their respective tank, and if all tanks have the same upgrade, still have them separated, as a tank may use/discard said upgrade while another still has it. Individual cards also help you keep your tanks apart when marking damage and laying down/applying critical cards.

PS: on a side note, as i heard many people struggling keeping their tanks apart, i found it to be a fun and GREAT looking alternative to personalize your tanks. I play mostly Germans and have every single tank given a number of an actual hero in the game (their ace-tanks: easy example Panther 424 / Barkmann), thus when fielding 2 panthers and a stug, they are super easy to keep apart as they have not random numbers/decals on them but actually represent the cards I'm currently playing/or at least clear distinctions.
this could easily be different things, different colored tank, different markings, crew popping out or not etc. it adds a lot of story telling to any game imo.
dogg  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, July 4, 2017 7:15:47 AM(UTC)
dogg

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I play Tanks and have enough to put together any 100 point list I want of the four factions. I don't play FoW so all the Tanks I've bought have there cards that come with them but I have a hugh collection of Axis and Allies minis. I do use them occasionally to do big games of Tanks or cheap swarm builds where I might need 5 or 6 of the same tank. If playing at the FLGS i always use original pieces only but at home or friendly games I have no problem printing my own cards out. It would be nice if Battleground when releasing boxed sets of say Panzer III or IV's, which you might want 3 or 4 in a game, they would include Tanks cards like they did with the Tiger set. An aftermarket Tanks deck would be nice to.
Axeman  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, July 4, 2017 9:32:23 AM(UTC)
Axeman

I can see why some people would want a set of tank cards to allow them to use their existing models and extend the range of tanks involved but I can't see it ever happening because it makes no commercial sense for GF9 to do this.

They can either sell you a pack of cards as a one-off or they can sell you cards and models together. The former effectively means that their income stream ceases. The latter ensures the life of the game from their business point of view for as long as they can slowly release new models. It's a no-brainer really.
Kelvin  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, July 4, 2017 10:50:53 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Its a tricky one. What would be cool is if FOW boxes came with tank cards, but tanks still did individual blisters too. That way if you wanted a force of mostly one tank type, buy boxed set and if you wanted a single tank for whatever reason that option there too.

I couldnt see that being too much of an issue as I already buy FOW boxes plus tank blister in a lot of cases. Certianally have for new africa stuff.

Main thing I really want though is decals in the tanks blisters, that would be a welcome and much appreciated gesture.
Kelvin Griffiths, Attack Wing Captain, Lord Of Rings Hero and Tank Commander. Sort of...
CmdrRook  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, July 4, 2017 11:32:26 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
So, gf9, if you're saying you absolutely won't ever make card-only releases to expand your collection,I suppose that leaves the door open for some industrious third party to release unrelated, unlicensed stat cards for folks' favorite tanks for a marginal fee, printed on quality card stock, with values that just so happen to parallel the official tanks cards? Purely hypothetical question, of course. I certainly don't condone some brilliant individual seizing such a lucrative opportunity and providing the fan base what they've demanded from the beginning, and making a pretty penny to boot.

New assets, a slightly different layout and format, and printing seems like such a small price to pay as I Google search online printing services for unrelated reasons.

But I suppose no means no. What is a nerd to do?
Axeman  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, July 4, 2017 6:23:44 PM(UTC)
Axeman

I personally wouldn't use cards from a third party because although I don't always agree with the stats that GF9 use, I would rather use the ones from the official source, plus the fact that GF9 tank releases always include new crew and upgrade cards.
Tally - Ho  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, July 5, 2017 7:21:59 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
When I first looked into this game I was kind of bummed that they did not just have a deck of cards for the current Units I already had. Truth is; for me it has never ended up being a really big deal. Partly because since I bought 2 of the starter sets I ended up with pretty much all the cards needed to play a pretty decent sized game, not to mention you kind of need the crit cards etc. anyways. Plus the models themselves are priced economically enough that it gives me an excuse to buy more kits to have thematic sets just for skirmishes.

Personally; I am not a big fan of third party cards. Especially of the variant variety. Especially in the early stages of a games development. I find they sometimes end up causing issues in the game.

Not sure that Axis & Allies is a relevant or good argument for third party cards. Mostly because they did make the official cards available as downloads and there was a lot more than just tanks in that game. Also most third party variants for that game were free and even so not everyone could ever agree on which ones were okay to use so there was never a standard set of third party variant cards.
But most importantly the cards were not the reason that game may never have reached its full potential.
Screamin' Eagle  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, July 5, 2017 7:59:09 AM(UTC)
Screamin' Eagle

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
gf9 should still put all the cards online, as any supportive manufacturer would. Cards can get defiled in many ways, e.g. a spilled beverage, pet damage etc., and it's nice to be able to print backup copies. Proxies are never as nice as the real cards anyhow, but they will do in a pinch. I mean, really, do they think someone will go to a bunch of work to pirate the whole game? My guess is that person isn't going to be a customer anyhow, and can't be deterred. But for those of us who are customers, it would be the courteous and supportive thing to do.
Uthak  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, July 5, 2017 8:53:13 AM(UTC)
Uthak

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 13 post(s)
well, selling cards alone would actually make perfect sense from a business point of view. At the moment gf9 is aiming at its own fan base only, selling tanks and cards ONLY to them, as veteran FOW, BA, K47, A&A etc players have often hundreds of models already in stock and wont start buying cards with tanks they don't need, as it seems like a huge waste of money to anyone...

printing cards is the easiest way to make money in the tabletop scene, hands down. making models is expensive, as you need proper design, 3D model, fitting for grids, molding, sample runs, hugely expensive big scale perma-molds and a factory to make these specialized products. Cards of nearly any quality and quantity can literally be made by 1 person with Photoshop skill at any copy shop around the world - more so if you work for gf9 and contract a printer to produce 100.000 cards of anything everywhere, you will pay ~ $0.2-0.8 per page (large, heavy stock proppers as in book printing eg) on that amount and each will carry an easy 100+ cards to auto cut. now sell 10 packs of those at 3-4 dollars, and people will buy them all over, making a margin bigger than selling liquor at a downtown New York bar...

/// rather to say: NOT printing card-sets/expansions/blisters by themselves makes ABSOLUTELY no sense, neither from a fan-base/hobby support side, nor from a fiscal perspective.

/// Pokémon, Yugioh, MTG and many other games rely solely on card printing and are/have banked on it like crazy! paper is SO cheap, SO easy to distribute in vast amounts and its SO easy to make basically unlimited new designs (even if you don't even have a model for them yet), just to grow and grow the hobby.