Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Irishthump  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2016 6:48:33 AM(UTC)
Irishthump

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Managed to get a starter set from Ebay earlier in the week. The seller had got the set at Salute but wasn't keen on the game. The set was in perfect condition, tanks still on the sprues.

Myself and my son played the Barkmann's Corner scenario a couple of times with me using the American Sherman's and my son using the Panther.

Here's a few pics...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

First impressions:

I play a lot of X Wing and I was sceptical at first about the simplistic movement rules, but they play very well and make for a fast game. There's also a surprising amount of tactical depth to the game once you get into it. For example, moving the lower initiative Shermans in such a way as to ensure both get a shot on the Panther and the fact that other tanks block your line of sight.

I was also dubious about the Final Fury rule, I felt it would imbalance the game in favour of the player with superior numbers. Again, Initiative and line of sight to come into play here to some extent but this is really where the damage deck makes a difference. As hinted at already there are several cards in there which will prevent you from moving/shooting or hamper you in other ways!

We were only able to play 2 games so we didn't get a chance to really look into the various crew and upgrade cards. But I'm looking forward to putting together a couple of 100-150 point squads and loading some of them up with upgraded crews!
thanks 4 users thanked Irishthump for this useful post.
Sean at TANKS HQ on 5/19/2016(UTC), WolfBenrath on 5/19/2016(UTC), 2938158 on 5/19/2016(UTC), FlyXwire on 5/20/2016(UTC)
WolfBenrath  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2016 10:05:05 AM(UTC)
WolfBenrath

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Thanks for the report. I look forward to more ...
Feuer Frei !!!
Shrapnelsmile  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2016 12:57:16 PM(UTC)
Shrapnelsmile

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Yes indeed, many thanks for this.
~ Shrap