Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
StealthWolf84  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 7:26:09 AM(UTC)
StealthWolf84

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Ok, I gave another run to Tanks.

Forces:

Axis = 1x Jagdpanther, 1x StuG

Allies = 2x Sherman Firefly

50 pts each side, simulated critical damage deck, Germans on offensive.

Mission: King Of The Hill

The field was open in the center, a small hill on W, 2 woods separated by a small impassable swamp on E, another wood on NW, and 2 small woods on N and S edges.

The jagdpanther tried to stay in the center, to scare the americans, while the StuG moves in the nearest wood. The yankees separates to avoid the Jagdpanther, one hide behind the hill and the other passes around a wood, in order to fire on the StuG.
There's some damage trading, and the the germans "blitz" in new positions, from where they can engage 1 sherman without fearing retaliation from the other one.
The tactic succeeds, but a very poor defense roll makes the StuG knocked out.
The other sherman desperately tries to return in game hurrying toward the occupied wood, but the Jagdpanther again "blitzes" out of his sights. Now it's just a matter of cunning movements: the shermans have more dice to fire in one turn, but one on one they can't challenge the german TD.
Shermans courageously separates to try to sneak around the angry Jagdspanther, but the enemy commander is a veteran, so he uses all the available cover to deny the sides to at least one sherman. The 88mm sets ablaze one american tank, while the other is unable to fire back because he has no LOS. Another "blitz" places the Jagdpanther in the corner.
The last Sherman tries a desperate attack, but the Jagdpanther's gun ends this game.
The victory is for the Axis.

Another fast&funny game. Not more than 25 minutes of adrenalinic gameplay! In an evening you can play 4 or 5 games! With such a gametime, tournaments can be made of 5 or 6 matches instead of 3.

Again, the "blitz" ability is invaluable for TDs, and "Gung Ho" gives Shermans a good survivability without taking away too much offence capability.

A rule for impassable terrain should be added. My swamp was impassable, so the movement arrow must not cross any part of it. It worked well, as a house rule. With current rules, you can cross a river or a antitank ditch just by "flying" over it with the arrow.

It's proved that moving is necessary if you want to survive. A steady "defense 2" tank can be wiped away in 1 turn by a "attack 5" tank with a bit of luck. Keep those tracks moving!

I'm waiting (patiently... more or less) for the starter set, to make a full game. I'd like to post pictures of the battlefield and models, but this forum doesn't allow me to. Pity.
thanks 1 user thanked StealthWolf84 for this useful post.
Sean at TANKS HQ on 4/18/2016(UTC)
nixon187  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 7:50:02 AM(UTC)
nixon187

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Sounds like a lot of fun! When me and my buddy were playing last time we really enjoyed it, now we are waiting desperatly for our order :D

But why do you played with fireflys and using the us nation rule?

The british rule is superb. Last time i was playing brits, i was using 3 Sherman V and 2 Fireflys. Enemy force was 3 Panzer 4 and 1 Panther. Destroyed the enemy force after round 3, just by getting into a wood in round 1 and staying stationary round 2 and 3, rerolling all bad dice results (keeping 1 critical or normal hit as allowed by the nation rule).
So dont underestimate the power of rerolling your dice especially as british player.
StealthWolf84  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 8:07:16 AM(UTC)
StealthWolf84

My fault, I meant "76mm Shermans", not "Fireflys" :)

The brit rule seems very effective, on paper, and even more if you consider the speed of their tanks.. Lot of firepower and lot of mobility... very good combination..

I'd like to pose game developer's attention to the "obstacle jumping" feature of the arrow in the current rules.. must be corrected\specified.

And why the hell I cannot post pics here???
nixon187  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 8:40:11 AM(UTC)
nixon187

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Originally Posted by: StealthWolf84 Go to Quoted Post

I'd like to pose game developer's attention to the "obstacle jumping" feature of the arrow in the current rules.. must be corrected\specified.

Obstacle jumping seems the worng term. The rules states that if the measuring arrow rosses impassable terrain the movement stops at the impassable terrain.

The problem i see is the lack of different types of terrain. The rule books only knows open terrain, woods and buildings.
But what about hedges, walls, river and things like this?

The first time there is no other thing than using house rules for terrain like this, or just ignore it completely...
StealthWolf84  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 9:17:28 AM(UTC)
StealthWolf84

Originally Posted by: nixon187 Go to Quoted Post

The rules states that if the measuring arrow rosses impassable terrain the movement stops at the impassable terrain.

I missed this! Thanks for clarification :)