Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cerebus  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:36:34 AM(UTC)
Cerebus

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Just back from Salute with a copy of the Starter set plus additional Panther set (gotta have a Panther AND a JgPthr). Get the board set up tomorrow and away we go :-)

Shame they didn't have any extra British tanks for sale as I was going to get the Crommie and Comet, but I'll order those.

Just a note on the cards. Could have done with rounded edges imho, the pointy edges will damage easier.

Go on then, I know you'll want to ask questions..........
Thundertotem  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:45:05 AM(UTC)
Thundertotem

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I'm jealous, we are not gonna see the game for a couple of weeks if reports are true.
Panzer Vor!!!
Fernando  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 6:55:18 AM(UTC)
Fernando

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You are a lucky man 😃 And thanks for the offer... What can You tell us about the damage cards? Are really bad their efects?
Cerebus  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 7:08:10 AM(UTC)
Cerebus

Not going to give all the details away as its not fair on GF9 but I'll give some hints.

Cards like
Stunned crew which reduces Init and Att.
Damaged Optics: temp reduction in attack.
Busted tracks: cant move
Jammed turret: Acts like assault gun

Most of these are repairable but there are a few which take out various crew members and some which do extra damage.
thanks 1 user thanked Cerebus for this useful post.
Fernando on 4/17/2016(UTC)
Fernando  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 7:20:30 AM(UTC)
Fernando

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Ok, thanks... I'm looking forward to having a Starter in my hands 😅
rcshield  
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 1:23:24 PM(UTC)
rcshield

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
You are certainly one of the lucky ones. What did you think of the models? What about the color of the plastic? Any other hints?
Poi  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 7:07:18 PM(UTC)
Poi

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
They sold loads at Salute.

The sharp corners of the cards will cause wear problems.

Plastic is close to base colour for nation, but I suspect most serious gamers will paint. Models are the Flames of War ones, minus stowage and crew so crisp sculpts. The stug includes the stuh barrel. Haven't opened all the upgrade and damage cards yet, pics when I do.

No dice in my box.

Can't wait to get started :)
Poi  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 7:08:08 PM(UTC)
Poi

Not fair on gf9 for fans to talk about the cards? It's in the wind now, all info is up for grabs.
ankx  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 7:25:05 PM(UTC)
ankx

Got my copy and all expansions too. Several of my thoughts:
- high quality of all the components, I especial like the cards. Tank cards are large, crew/upgrade are half size. Glossy coat, those should last for years.
- expansions give you copies of crew/upgrade cards from the base game and one unique hero
- tanks sprues: Germany (dunkelgelb / German dark yellow), US (US olive drab). The colors are so close that you may even not prime your models. No decals nor stowage.
- tokens and terrain - thick cardboard, very good quality (the guys at Salute were using acrylic tokens, I was impressed)
- the box is flimsy but should last if you want to store all the components and tanks there.
I paid just over 50 for the full set, without any doubts it was worth.

Give me a shout guys if you have any specific questions.

Edited by user Sunday, April 17, 2016 7:26:11 PM(UTC)  | Reason: add

Cerebus  
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 8:32:41 PM(UTC)
Cerebus

Originally Posted by: ankx Go to Quoted Post
. The colors are so close that you may even not prime your models. No decals nor stowage.

By all means play with them unpainted, but never ever ever paint onto a model without priming first. The top layer of paint will not hold properly and it'll start coming off over time.
Cerebus  
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 8:40:25 PM(UTC)
Cerebus

Originally Posted by: Poi Go to Quoted Post
Not fair on gf9 for fans to talk about the cards? It's in the wind now, all info is up for grabs.

Yeh I suppose so, but if the games not officially released yet and we start posting all the card types whats to stop people from just snipping tool the pics and making their own set rather than buying it. Especially all of us with hordes of tanks already who only need the cards. This hits gf9 and possible expansions. Just my mind set I suppose.

I was disappointed they had no Brit tanks available though, and they really should have had more than one till point!!
AndyMcD52  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 9:20:27 AM(UTC)
AndyMcD52

I picked up a copy at Salute too along with a Pershing and Panzer IV. I have a Super P for one of my armies so why not use the two together. I wish I had picked up the other tanks that were on sale. I was really impressed by the print quality too. Pointy cards I will have to have a look at my card covers. The box was bigger than I thought.

Cerebus did you pick up a free tank whilst you were playing the demo?

I would have bought a mat the Russian and British tanks without a second thought. Also a shame they didn't sell the token set I would have gone for one of those too. Yeap they were using those at the demo table, very swish.

My battle in the demo was close and a great laugh. Well played to the guy from the guy at the Chelmsford bunker.

I am goign to be ordering more of this to get more people into the Battlefront range. It is aready shaping up to be a fun little game. Alot of room for expansion.

Sorry I wont be giving out any spoilers just a bit of hype and praise for this game.
Cerebus  
#13 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 7:44:03 PM(UTC)
Cerebus

No I didnt play the demo. I'd already given the game a go a few times with my son at home using some FoW tanks so I knew what I was getting into. Mind you if I'd known they were dishing out free tanks then I'd have joined in. Never mind. Too many other things to see at Salute.
Vincent3  
#14 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 11:56:45 PM(UTC)
Vincent3

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: ankx Go to Quoted Post
Got my copy and all expansions too. Several of my thoughts:
- high quality of all the components, I especial like the cards. Tank cards are large, crew/upgrade are half size. Glossy coat, those should last for years.
- expansions give you copies of crew/upgrade cards from the base game and one unique hero
- tanks sprues: Germany (dunkelgelb / German dark yellow), US (US olive drab). The colors are so close that you may even not prime your models. No decals nor stowage.
- tokens and terrain - thick cardboard, very good quality (the guys at Salute were using acrylic tokens, I was impressed)
- the box is flimsy but should last if you want to store all the components and tanks there.
I paid just over 50 for the full set, without any doubts it was worth.

Give me a shout guys if you have any specific questions.

Hello thanks for the info.

I have two questions:

- If I understand correctly what you said, the blisters only contain new hero card? There are no new upgrades there (only copies of those from the starter)? That sounds disappointing to be honest. I thought the blisters will have more nation-specific (or even tank-specific) upgrades. :(

- Also - does the starter include two copies of each global card so that both players can pick them without the need of proxies?

Edited by user Monday, April 18, 2016 11:59:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Poi  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 12:01:34 AM(UTC)
Poi

Hero is only new card in each booster, four others are all from starter.

Starter has one of each upgrade card.
Vincent3  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2016 12:20:51 AM(UTC)
Vincent3

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Poi Go to Quoted Post
Hero is only new card in each booster, four others are all from starter.

Starter has one of each upgrade card.

Thanks.

As I said only 1 unique card/blister is somewhat disapponting, because I already have the FoW models so I was counting to have some more tank/country-specific upgrades in the expansions. Seems I ordered blisters just for 1 card. :)

Well, lesson learned to not preorder stuff blindly, never too much tanks I guess.... Im still entusiastic with the game though and cant wait to play it.

Edited by user Tuesday, April 19, 2016 12:22:22 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified