Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LordOfKhemri  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 15, 2017 7:54:32 PM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Well done for correcting some of the more glaring errors in the article, although there are still some missing words and oddly placed commas (in particular the last section about the Stuart). Platoon/platoons seem to have a life of their own sometimes :)

My main point, however, is that I don't think the thread should have been removed.

By all means close it but with a message thanking us for spotting the errors that you should have found yourself.

In my opinion the contributors to the thread kept it light hearted and hopefully have encouraged you to read your articles before publication rather than rely on spellcheckers alone.

Edited by user Tuesday, August 15, 2017 8:01:38 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
Tally - Ho  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:15:16 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
And then there are those people who find faults, issues, & mistakes like there is a reward for it.
LordOfKhemri  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 5:22:00 AM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

I do it for free.
Someone needs to try to maintain standards.
6 May 18 no
Axeman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 8:37:44 AM(UTC)
Axeman

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Constructive criticism has a place in a game like this where card and rule wordings need to be precise. GF9 should be encouraging this not shutting it down, whilst the comments remain constructive and not provocative of course.
Kelvin  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 9:56:26 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I agree with all. Maybe they've had too many bad comments this year...
Kelvin Griffiths, Attack Wing Captain, Lord Of Rings Hero and Tank Commander. Sort of...
Tally - Ho  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 10:28:46 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Originally Posted by: LordOfKhemri Go to Quoted Post
I do it for free.
Someone needs to try to maintain standards.

I apologize; it appears I missed the announcement informing us you were filling that position.

I am curious as to what qualifications you have to fill that role. (Other than that all too common ability to point out others' mistakes.)
Also who determines what standards need to be maintained. (I guess I missed that announcement as well.)

It is one thing to make helpful suggestions or point out the wrong name on a card; but, frankly it seems to me a lot of the "constructive criticism" over the last while seems more like petty whining. Poorly placed commaz,,,, really??

But then again, I guess Teddy Roosevelt was right when he said; "It is not the critic that counts...

For me; I am just happy they are still creating more models, cards,& ideas for the game.

Edited by user Wednesday, August 16, 2017 10:30:47 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LordOfKhemri  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 10:10:06 PM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

My qualification is life experience.

I have found recently that many people just don't care about how documents are written, articles composed etc.

Capital letters in the wrong place, text speak, commas either not used or sprinkled around like confetti as the author doesn't have a clue as to how to use them. Commas aid readability and provide the opportunity to take a short breath when reading a longer sentence. As for apostrophes, don't even go there, their, they're.

You razed several point's butt to bee fayre, ewe mite knot sea their is anything wrong with most of this sentence as it is, after awl, phonetically correct.

Without resorting to threadromancy, if a proper check had been made when producing the Achilles card, we would now be playing with the correct version.
I sent my request for two corrected cards to GF9 on 31 October 2015 and I am still waiting for them to provide these cards as they said they would.

Many of the mistakes in the original article were pointed out and subsequently corrected. However, this was also a chance for someone to read the article again and make sure there was nothing else that needed attention. I suspect the author was also the person who made the changes and as often happens, I include myself in this, the author reads what they WANT it to say rather than what the text ACTUALLY says. That's why fresh eyes should be employed before publication.

One more thing, when quoting such luminaries as Teddy Roosevelt (I did go and look at some of his quotes and found them almost Churchillian), please give him the respect of ending his quote with the ".

This has gone a long way from me suggesting that the original thread to be closed with a short thank you from GF9 but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Over and Out.

6 May 18 no
Kelvin  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 16, 2017 11:34:06 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Now, now boys, lets not argue over grammar.

It gets like parliment in here some days lol.
Kelvin Griffiths, Attack Wing Captain, Lord Of Rings Hero and Tank Commander. Sort of...
thanks 1 user thanked Kelvin for this useful post.
Tally - Ho on 8/17/2017(UTC)
LordOfKhemri  
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 12:17:56 AM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Must resist..... Must resist.....

Surely we haven't plumbed those depths?
6 May 18 no
Tally - Ho  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 12:46:14 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Originally Posted by: Kelvin Go to Quoted Post
Now, now boys, lets not argue over grammar.

It gets like parliment in here some days lol.

I agree this is after all a simple game about tanks; not an English and Language Class.
Tally - Ho  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 1:13:03 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

My qualification is life experience.

Interesting. Not exactly a unique qualification; not to mention a bit subjective & vague. But then again; based on what you think you know, you might be right.
Without resorting to threadromancy, if a proper check had been made when producing the Achilles card, we would now be playing with the correct version.
I sent my request for two corrected cards to GF9 on 31 October 2015 and I am still waiting for them to provide these cards as they said they would.

I would have to agree with you on this point; but, mostly in regards to the fact that since this was a product that was to be mass produced and people paid for. It also had potential to affect game play. I also think it is very unfortunate that those who have the incorrect cards are still having issues getting them replaced. To me that is inexcusable.
One more thing, when quoting such luminaries as Teddy Roosevelt (I did go and look at some of his quotes and found them almost Churchillian), please give him the respect of ending his quote with the ".

I apologize for the oversight. I forgot that I needed you to proof read my post.
This has gone a long way from me suggesting that the original thread to be closed with a short thank you from GF9 but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Sure; as long as it agrees with yours. Course some people are hard to please.
P.S. I missspelled one word and left out one comma. Did you find them?

Edited by user Thursday, August 17, 2017 1:25:01 AM(UTC)  | Reason: proof reading

LordOfKhemri  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 3:45:10 AM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

I must apologise that in your test I could only find the word "apologize" that is spelled differently in your language than mine.
Apart from missspelled that is.

A suggestion might be to change
"Course some people are hard to please." to
"Of course, some people are hard to please."
That way you get your missing comma back.

Interesting use of semicolons though.

shall we call this a day now? We aren't going to agree and I have found your other posts worth reading.
6 May 18 no
Tally - Ho  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 5:08:33 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

I must apologise that in your test I could only find the word "apologize" that is spelled differently in your language than mine.
Apart from missspelled that is.

I actually am Canadian by birth and sometimes my spelling of certain words crosses back and forth. (Been living in the USA too long I guess.)

A suggestion might be to change
"Course some people are hard to please." to
"Of course, some people are hard to please."
That way you get your missing comma back.

Interesting use of semicolons though.

shall we call this a day now? We aren't going to agree and I have found your other posts worth reading.

In the past I also have found your posts to be worth reading. In the earlier days of the forum I actually considered you to be one of the influencers on this forum. I especially enjoyed your battle reports and commentaries on different units and the various ways in which you utilized them.
In the past you have had a lot of positive insights and some humor to share. I look forward to seeing more of that in the future.

Let us part as friends.
I wish you well.

Axeman  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 5:21:34 AM(UTC)
Axeman

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Although this thread didn't quite turn out as I expected I think there is still a place for commenting and checking on the wording of cards and articles, just to try and reduce any rules inconsistencies and lack of clarity.

I hope we can continue to do this.

LordOfKhemri  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 5:43:22 AM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

To Tally-Ho.

Let's fly back over the lines with a cheery wave after a gentlemanly dogfight.

Now we just have to sort out GF9.
6 May 18 no
Tally - Ho  
#16 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 9:26:13 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

To Tally-Ho.

Let's fly back over the lines with a cheery wave after a gentlemanly dogfight.

Now we just have to sort out GF9.

Sorting out GF9 is probably a more involved discussion. As I do agree that there are some real issues.

In regards to the TANKS game it is my opinion that as long as this game is treated by the parent company as just an alternate revenue stream to the Flames of War plastic line there will probably be no resolution to the majority of these issues.

To be fair to Sean & Andrew I really do not believe they feel the same way; however, they do have to operate within their corporate culture. (I of course am making a couple of assumptions here.) Having said that; I do feel Sean & Andrew could be more active on this forum. At least to the point of being quicker with responses to questions or settling disputes regarding game play. This would raise the question though of whether or not their perceived lack of, or slow responses (at least perceived on my part) is intentional (If so then why?) or is it because something is preventing them?

Since my philosophy for now is to accept that I do not have any control over the issues; at present I choose to live with them. Over time that may change. Or perhaps something better will come along.

But this is just my 2 cents.
Kelvin  
#17 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 11:28:33 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Good points tally ho. I remember similar issues with lord of rings sbg. The guys who developed it (I wont use names for fear of causing trouble) must have been devestated when GW began activley screwing the licence.

Now I dont believe TANKS is near that point yet, but you are not alone with your concerns, I asked the same questions way back near the years start (I actually started that thread that grew into a huge debate, my apologies to GF9). Several months later and we are here again, this time over community support issues and slow response to questions. To be fair, guys like you, me and lordof khemri (Who I am dying to call Dredd) are really becoming a source of major help and a voice for these concerns.

I say this with a bitter pride as on one hand its inspiring to see fellow gamers out there and living by the creed, but its also kinda rough that we are almost becoming the go to for a lot of these questions as whom do we ask or consult when we have issues?

Sticking together as a group is the best option we have at present, and thats a great thing that oddly needs a little change.
JTSleep  
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 5:53:12 PM(UTC)
JTSleep

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
First, I love Tanks, so far I have around 60 models at home, big fat pile of cards and some homemade terrain pieces to be scattered around battlefield. Now let´s add to the topic here.

I must support LordOfKhemri here. I might not be full grown Grammar Nazi myself, but he has a point.

This precise attitude is why we see more and more mistakes around us. Just saying "meh, it´s a light game, mistake now and then is tolerable" is nice for sure, but those will pile up.

Many of you play with your kids. Game is best way to memorize anything. Do you want them to remember misspelled words, or do you want them to be better than that?

You can sometimes see grammar mistakes on billboards, bulletins and all around us. When politician or actress or director of any important company makes mistake, most of people react by saying something like "How can he even do his/her job when he/she can´t even write? Doesn´t he/she has somebody to at least correct it afterwards?"

So why should it be any different with GF9? They sell us their product, they want it to be bought. I fully realize that game is about fun and play, but if you continue with mistake tolerance you may as well use pictograph without text instead of cards...

Trust me, I´m design engineer and I see how every small mistake influences whole thing. Just read few asked questions here on forum. Clarification text missing on some of cards, not specified bits in rules, grammar mistakes... Do you want your game to be great?

Truth! Freedom! Justice! And a hard-boiled egg!
LordOfKhemri  
#19 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 7:17:55 PM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Cheers JT.
I work in IT for financial services. For me accuracy is key so it's hard to turn a blind eye, maybe I should use Damaged Optics ☺️

Hopefully GF9/Battlefront may try a bit harder in the future.
6 May 18 no
Tally - Ho  
#20 Posted : Friday, August 18, 2017 3:12:28 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

In regards to the topic of the use of grammar I would like to take a moment to clarify my position and then move on. Especially as it was actually not the point I was trying to make with my initial response to this post. I also apologize for derailing this post into a conversation about sentence structure and spelling. Once again that was not my original intent.

At the end of the day my stance on the subject of proper grammar really comes down to the situation it is applied in. When I buy a book to use for some form of research or to better inform myself, it bothers me when there are misspelled words & poor sentence structure. If I pay money for a statistical report or detailed drawing it bothers me if they can not even spell my name right. When I read an editorial by a professional journalist I expect a higher standard than I would from a game designer / rules writer / forum moderator. (Especially since most professional writers use editors & proofreaders. At least that is my understanding.)

I realize that there are those who feel differently. To each his own.