Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dave Clifford  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 29, 2016 6:16:44 AM(UTC)
Dave Clifford

For a firing tank, is line of sight drawn from the shooters gun mounting or from the center of the turret? Wouldn't the bottom Stug on page 12 not have cover as a line of sight drawn from the gun mount would not pass through woods unless the turret must first be turned to aim at the target?
Tally - Ho  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 4:03:04 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
It is my understanding that for assault guns line of sight is taken from the front of the vehicle where the gun and front of the hull meet.
LordOfKhemri  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 4:14:43 AM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Assault gun LOS is taken from where the gun crosses the front hull.

We play that turreted tanks LOS is taken from where the gun comes out of the turret rather than the centre of the turret.
2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
Dave Clifford  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 6:22:52 AM(UTC)
Dave Clifford

I understand assault guns LOS, but for turret tanks there are two different methods for measuring LOS mentioned in the rulebook. If you measure from where the gun comes out, wouldn't you have to turn the turret and aim first?
LordOfKhemri  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 8:15:14 AM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

I always turn the turret and often make a noise :)
Turning the turret to aim seems a logical thing to do
6 May 18 no
LS650  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 9:06:24 AM(UTC)
LS650

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I always assumed center of one turret to the center of the other. Really, the turret is only a few Millimeters wide, it's not going to change things much to get out the laser pointer.

Remember, this is a beer and pretzels game, not a simulation...
LordOfKhemri  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 10:21:11 AM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

LOS isn't turret to turret though.

LOS is from turret/assault gun arc to the enemy hull or any part of it that you can see.
6 May 18 no
shifty33  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 7:55:48 PM(UTC)
shifty33

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
this is were i dont like rules for tanks its complicated and could have been made simple line of sight for cover and shooting are both drawn from center of turret (assualt gun use the rules they are fine how they are) cause from center no matter what it wull be the same wether u have your turret pointed at the target or not it wil be the same line even then. but with how it is now u can get away with things like this and its perfectly fine in the rules.

UserPostedImage

yes this dose seem weird and wrong but its allowed within the rules nothing in the book says u have to turn your turret to face who u are shooting. are group has house ruled all line of sight and cover are from center turret.

even reading the rules again cover is drawn from any were on the turret so u could measure from the side of the turret like this

UserPostedImage

nothing in the rules is saying u cant do this the rules even say u are allowed to do both of these first is just says from were the gun connects to the turret and second for the cover it just says from the turret. thats it so both of these line of sight and line of cover drawings are allowed within the rules we have now

i hope when a faq/errata come out that ling of sight for firing and cover are both changed to center of turret.

also dont mind my old pizza box all i had around me at the time of typing this up :P

Edited by user Wednesday, November 30, 2016 7:56:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

LordOfKhemri  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 8:28:57 PM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

I find the content of your post very worrying.

Only a 10inch Pizza? Next you'll be telling us it was a Veggie Pizza!

:)
6 May 18 no
Tally - Ho  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 10:59:38 PM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
The real question is; what kind of Pizza .
Gives me a great idea.
Pizza & Tanks night.
Should probably throw in a few orders of wings. Although now I am worried about grease on my tanks.
LordOfKhemri  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2016 11:06:49 PM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Surely the grease would add a more realistic look if you could restrict it to the road wheels and exhaust area?

Just make sure that the pizza slices are the same length as a movement arrow so there is none of that time wasting swapping around.
6 May 18 no
LS650  
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 3:34:35 AM(UTC)
LS650

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: shifty33 Go to Quoted Post
i hope when a faq/errata come out that ling of sight for firing and cover are both changed to center of turret.

Just house rule it. Come to an agreement with whomever you're playing against as to any rules you wish to change. As long as you both agree, play the house rule.

Robert  
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 6:50:49 AM(UTC)
Robert

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Take a look at the picture on page 9. In the examples, the turret is always pointed towards the target, and the LOS crosses where the gun attaches to the turret on the firing tank to anywhere on the target tank.
Dave Clifford  
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 7:05:15 AM(UTC)
Dave Clifford

But page 12 contradicts page 9. On page 12 LOS is drawn from center of turret and not rotated.
shifty33  
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2016 7:13:02 AM(UTC)
shifty33

Your right the examples both show from center of turret that's why are group plays that way. But are the examples accual rules? Or are they how the game designers intended for the rules to be used as. Like I said for casual game play a simple house rule is fine. But if the game takes off say like x-wing and I do see the potential for it to do that at its very low price point and eas of play. They will need to refine and tighten the rules which is not hard to do a few reword igs and boom a tight rules set that's easy to play and ready for high level torny play.
Robert  
#16 Posted : Friday, December 2, 2016 6:50:14 AM(UTC)
Robert

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Since the turret rotates around a central axis, drawing from the center and from where the gun attached (when the turret is turned) amounts to the same thing, at least until we have some asymmetric turrets.
Dave Clifford  
#17 Posted : Friday, December 2, 2016 7:06:00 AM(UTC)
Dave Clifford

So, a rule should be added that the turret of the firing tank must first be turned to the target before determining LOS and cover.
shifty33  
#18 Posted : Friday, December 2, 2016 7:37:21 AM(UTC)
shifty33

if its just from were the gun is attached the my pic 1 of the post earlier is a way u can draw line of fire. but if its from center no matter what it will be basically like turning your turret at the target weather u do it or not. thats why i say from center cause it stop shenanigans like in my first pic

and not even adda a rule its not that larger of a errata to change from gun mounted to center of turret for the rules.

Edited by user Friday, December 2, 2016 7:38:10 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

bartok  
#19 Posted : Sunday, February 18, 2018 3:48:38 AM(UTC)
bartok

Originally Posted by: Dave Clifford Go to Quoted Post
Wouldn't the bottom Stug on page 12 not have cover as a line of sight drawn from the gun mount would not pass through woods unless the turret must first be turned to aim at the target?

UserPostedImage
One line is blocked by the house. Another line of sight pass through woods. The rest two lines of sight are clear.
The Stug have Cover.