Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mikeyboy  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 24, 2016 8:26:41 PM(UTC)
Mikeyboy

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Hi, I've seen no rules in regards to ramming. I take it there are no benefits to ramming or damage taken if you have been rammed?
Along the same lines, If a tank blocks the way forward, can the tank just drive past the blocking vehicle or is he limited to reverse movement only? Only destroyed tanks become impassable terrain so technically, if an enemy tank tries to block my path forward, I can still place my arrow to go forwards and just move my tank over the top.
I know its not in the sprite of the game, but people will try it to get the edge.
nixon187  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 12:48:20 AM(UTC)
nixon187

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Enemy Tanks block LoS like impassable terrain so i think it is intended to drive around enemy tanks. Thats what we did when playing the test games.
For games like X-Wing its ok to fly "through" your opponent but not with ground forces like tanks.

Ramming would be mean when playing vs germans because of their "Blitzkrieg"-rule. Shoot and hope that opponent gets destroyed, he did not get destroyed, so ramming him in command phase to finish him off.
The "Blitzkrieg"-rule is really good at current state (in my opinion), especially on objective-based gametypes.

I think it would also blow up the small rulesset. More rules = more to remember = harder to learn.
actionmackie  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 4:15:01 AM(UTC)
actionmackie

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Tanks crashing into each other shouldn't be an issue as they are all moved in turn, no movement dials and templates. But would a tank have to go around another tank that hasn't moved yet or simply be allowed to go through the other tank assuming that it will move later that turn?

Probably going to get corrected here but I would say it would have to go around the other tank even if the other tank will move later with its higher initiative. The moving tank with lower initiative has less well trained crew, poorer visibility and everything else that contributed to it's poor score and the driver makes a poor judgement call, like me and parking in spaces that are smaller than my car.

As for ramming, does sound like something I would do. Would it be a viable tactic in real life, especially at cross country speeds? Was wondering about the lack of it though
Sean at TANKS HQ  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 8:15:37 AM(UTC)
Sean at TANKS HQ

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: nixon187 Go to Quoted Post
Ramming would be mean when playing vs germans because of their "Blitzkrieg"-rule. Shoot and hope that opponent gets destroyed, he did not get destroyed, so ramming him in command phase to finish him off.
The "Blitzkrieg"-rule is really good at current state (in my opinion), especially on objective-based gametypes.

There are currently no rules for ramming in TANKS. It's possible that it could show up later in an upgrade or hero ability.

If I was going to make a house rule to add ramming, I'd probably give the moving tank an attack roll using its defence dice number (This number is primarily based on armour, and therefore weight), with no defence roll from the tank that was hit. A possible 1-3 damage bonus on a ram seems decent.
But I'm just brainstorming, don't take this post as official. :)

The interesting interaction that this has with Blitzkrieg, is that during the Command Phase tanks are destroyed before the repair roll step. So any tank hit with a ramming Blitzkrieg wouldn't suffer any ill effects for another whole round!

If you decide to try out any ramming rules at home, my one or one of your own, let us know how it goes.
Carlson793  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 8:31:29 AM(UTC)
Carlson793

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sean at TANKS HQ Go to Quoted Post
There are currently no rules for ramming in TANKS. It's possible that it could show up later in an upgrade or hero ability.

If I was going to make a house rule to add ramming, I'd probably give the moving tank an attack roll using its defence dice number (This number is primarily based on armour, and therefore weight), with no defence roll from the tank that was hit. A possible 1-3 damage bonus on a ram seems decent.

Maybe set Ramming Damage equal to the Attackers move markers (1-3), +1 for Heavy Tank. Or equal to Attacker's Defense +1 for Heavy Tank.
nixon187  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 10:27:15 AM(UTC)
nixon187

The interesting interaction that this has with Blitzkrieg, is that during the Command Phase tanks are destroyed before the repair roll step. So any tank hit with a ramming Blitzkrieg wouldn't suffer any ill effects for another whole round!

That rule seems neat. I try that out next time i play. ;) I report my experiences. :P

Yeah its destroyed in the next round but i can focus my fire onto another tank beacuse the rammed-to-death one is destroyed anyways. ;)

actionmackie  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 25, 2016 11:01:09 AM(UTC)
actionmackie

Maybe the forum guys could create a custom/house rule section on the forums?
nixon187  
#8 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2016 11:03:08 AM(UTC)
nixon187

Originally Posted by: nixon187 Go to Quoted Post

That rule seems neat. I try that out next time i play. ;) I report my experiences. :P

Yeah its destroyed in the next round but i can focus my fire onto another tank beacuse the rammed-to-death one is destroyed anyways. ;)

We tried this today.
Problem is that we couldnet agree how to handle after the "Blitzkrieg"-Ram. We placed the model in contact and rolled the damage, but in the movement phase the german player drove forward, ramming the enemy another time but without moving the tank at all beacuse it is in contact from the "Blitzkrieg"ram.

Also we talked about how to handle the movement if the ramming was while doing the first movement. Am i allowed to take my 2nd move (fast tanks even a 3rd)?
Also if you ram someone u are in close range (so 1 less dice) which is pretty mean if u are ramming with a panther e.g. because of his high initiative.
Ramming in movement phase, shooting on close range at first and be lucky to hit critical and the enemy tank isnt able to shoot because of critical card.

After the 2nd game, today, we agreed that if you ram someone roll attack dice as described in the "house rule" but afterwards you are not able to shoot in the shooting phase and move for the turn.

thanks 1 user thanked nixon187 for this useful post.
Novista on 5/8/2016(UTC)
actionmackie  
#9 Posted : Sunday, March 27, 2016 6:07:19 PM(UTC)
actionmackie

Blitzkrieg is all about fast movement, driving deep into enemy territory to cause damage behind the front lines rather than pure aggression. Maybe remove the ram ability from Blitzkrieg.
hithero  
#10 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2016 1:58:23 AM(UTC)
hithero

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Ramming, really? The only outcome of this scenario is a lot of injured crew of the ramming vehicle.
thanks 1 user thanked hithero for this useful post.
Novista on 5/8/2016(UTC)
nixon187  
#11 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2016 4:49:49 AM(UTC)
nixon187

Originally Posted by: hithero Go to Quoted Post
Ramming, really? The only outcome of this scenario is a lot of injured crew of the ramming vehicle.

From the historical side thats correct, and even from the games side (remember its a game not a simulation) ramming should be a very rare situation.

Maybe add them to a critical card as an effect. Some thing like:
" The Crew is confused and starts to drive upon the nearest enemy within one measuring arrow and doing damage equal to its defense and suffer 1 damage itself"

actionmackie  
#12 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2016 5:02:01 AM(UTC)
actionmackie

Just wait for the Japanese tanks, surely they'll have the kamikaze special ability.

"Before being destroyed in the command phase the tank may move one arrow inflicting x amount of damage to the first enemy tank hit"
StealthWolf84  
#13 Posted : Monday, March 28, 2016 10:35:21 AM(UTC)
StealthWolf84

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I personally prefer not to introduce rules regarding 1% situations...

Maybe it would be interesting introducing ramming as a "Hero" ability. :)
actionmackie  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 6:03:11 AM(UTC)
actionmackie

Think the hero abilities and upgrades are the way to go forward. An easy way to add new rules without having to create a new rulebook every year and allows the older waves of tanks in the game to remain competitive
thanks 1 user thanked actionmackie for this useful post.
Novista on 5/8/2016(UTC)