Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sohlon  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2017 10:10:28 AM(UTC)
Sohlon

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Starting out.

I'm hooked on Tanks so I have been buying every one I can get my hands on! Now I'm realising I'm going to have to start painting them.

http://sohlon-blog.tumbl...anks-tanks-tankety-tanks

Here's hoping the link works.

Edited by user Saturday, February 18, 2017 10:18:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Terror  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 19, 2017 12:10:50 PM(UTC)
Terror

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Wow... a good start. However, you seem to be missingvthe other factions tsk tsk tsk 😁
Sohlon  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 12:45:14 AM(UTC)
Sohlon

Ha yes well I just can't settle on a Soviet list just yet. But once I do I'll have them lined up and ready to paint!
Zerstorer  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 20, 2017 5:03:29 AM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Looking forward to running my Russians as North Koreans someday, against Americans and British. Just need stats for the M-46 and Centurion for the Allies and the SU-76 for the "Russians."
Sohlon  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 12:26:40 PM(UTC)
Sohlon

Well here they are. Two Sherman's ready for battle.

Sohlons Blog

Any hints or tips from the painters on here?
Terror  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:27:53 PM(UTC)
Terror

Nicely done....neat too.

Decals...would add a lot (i wish I could easily get my hands on some as well). And I would muddy up those tracks and the lower frame but that's just me. Dry brushing a slightly lighter shade of that same green would also let the details pop out more.... again this is my just preference as others want their tanks looking more realistic but I like my tanks to pop out as viewed by the naked eye standing above a game table.
Zerstorer  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:10:22 PM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sohlon Go to Quoted Post
Well here they are. Two Sherman's ready for battle.

Sohlons Blog

Any hints or tips from the painters on here?

Look for a weathering set for green vehicles. I have one I got from Vallejo. It comes with the lighter colors for dry brushing and a dry powder pigment you mix to various textures and shades with a fixative....then you brush that on the tracks and lower hull for realistic dirt/mud. There are some awesome weathering sets available from Mig Jimenez' Ammo line too!

Decals are a must. They really finish a model and add that touch of realism. Battlefront makes some very nice decal sets....pricey, but very high quality.
Sohlon  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 7:13:17 PM(UTC)
Sohlon

Yeah I was a little disappointed decals don't come with the sets but they are pushing it as a quick game rather than a hobby so I will let them off.
Highlights - already done although perhaps it doesn't show up to well on the pictures.
Weathering - just no... I can't stand mucky tanks! I know it's unrealistic but I like my tanks factory fresh! Main reason being I am yet to see a tank weathered well by one of those kits.

I'm tempted to muddy up the tracks a little but I don't know if I can bring myself to. Again I rarely see it done well. It always looks painted on rather than authentic.

Thanks for the feed back though I might just look into weathering and mud a little more and see if I can be convinced.

Edit: And where can I get hold of Decals? And what decals should be used. I've seen it pretty standard for a star on the turret and another somewhere on the hull but what's the prescribed layout?

Edited by user Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:52:32 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Terror  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 10:59:36 PM(UTC)
Terror

For the decals, I'd just browse the internet like that tank wiki site.

No problem if you want your tanks factory fresh but if you want to look at the science of it (well ...science of art ....or color theory), orange (mud color) is the split complementary of green. So adding "mud" actually makes the green come out more.

I dont have decals so i compensated the appearance by muddying it up. Had I easy access to decals, I might've considered giving one the clean look.

Edited by user Tuesday, February 21, 2017 11:07:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sohlon  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 21, 2017 11:58:37 PM(UTC)
Sohlon

Wow that takes me back it's a long time since I looked at colour theory! I'll have to revisit it. Would you recommend a more grey like almost dusty look or go for something more like orangy clay with the deep green I'm using?
Terror  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2017 12:12:11 AM(UTC)
Terror

my tanks

Whatever suits you I guess. Mine is from wet mud brown brought up to orange.
Sohlon  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2017 1:41:33 AM(UTC)
Sohlon

I like those and that's a good colour what paint did you use?
Terror  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2017 1:59:57 AM(UTC)
Terror

I like those and that's a good colour what paint did you use?

P3 olive and moldy ocher and vallejo olive and russian tank highlight...

For the browns... vallejo leather then brown orange

Sohlon  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2017 6:38:58 AM(UTC)
Sohlon

Out of curiousity what are those spaceships in that folder?
Terror  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2017 7:06:23 AM(UTC)
Terror

Out of curiousity what are those spaceships in that folder?

PM sent.☺

Sohlon  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 22, 2017 10:05:01 AM(UTC)
Sohlon

Well I have taken all the advice on board (thanks for everyone's input!) And a little weathering, some more highlights and a super Pershing later this is the result. Again feedback is always welcome.

Tanky Goodness
Sohlon  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, March 29, 2017 11:53:19 PM(UTC)
Sohlon

The British!

It's been a while but I've finally painted up the British. Missing decals but they are in the post so they will be going on soon. Just need to beef up my Germans and get them painted. I'll be getting a gaming mat next month too so i can start getting some battle reports down.

~Sohlon~
Dr.Dave  
#18 Posted : Thursday, March 30, 2017 7:52:30 PM(UTC)
Dr.Dave

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The British!

It's been a while but I've finally painted up the British. Missing decals but they are in the post so they will be going on soon. Just need to beef up my Germans and get them painted. I'll be getting a gaming mat next month too so i can start getting some battle reports down.

~Sohlon~

I just bought a 3ft square 'roads and rivers' from tiny wargames. There are two with that name on their site and mine's the simpler of the two. The illustrations are usually for 6x4 mats but they'll place the 3ft square anywhere you want on it so mine is lined up against the bottom and the right. £35 in delivery and I'm really pleased with it. Took about a fortnight to arrive.

Whatever you get if you want a change of scenery drop me a message and we could exchange them for the cost of a few stamps then swap them back a few weeks later.

Sohlon  
#19 Posted : Monday, April 3, 2017 9:47:05 AM(UTC)
Sohlon

Thanks for the advice Dr Dave although I think I'm going to go with a F.A.T mat, I'll let you know if I'm ever looking for a change of scenery though.

Back to hobby progress now and my transfers turned up. I spent most of the weekend tied up with family stuff so i have only just had a chance to crack on with them. Overall they really add a lot more interest to the models and with a bit of free hand on the British turrets I'm very happy with the result. Maybe I'll not be winning any painting competitions any time soon but it's still a great step up from bare plastic .

Transfers on!

Let me know what you think guys, at some point I'll take a serious look at the Germans and see what colours grab me.

~Sohlon~