Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kelvin  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2017 10:05:55 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 17 post(s)
So I know TANKS is meant to be "abstract", but after some thought I kind of realised the unlimited range and turret turning being none existant was actually ignoring two major parts of tank warfare.

Now I realise that its fair too argue thats part of initiative value possibly, but I still feel thats not the case.

Am I the only one to ponder this, or is it a real mishap with the current ruleset. I know from documentaries, a Tiger had more range than a Sherman, but the Sherman could 'Be on target' quicker due to shorter barrel and faster rotating turret.

I also think there needs to be a rear shot bonus as well as a flank shot, after all a tanks rear armour is always the weakest.
Kelvin Griffiths, Attack Wing Captain, Lord Of Rings Hero and Tank Commander. Sort of...
Waster  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2017 10:24:52 AM(UTC)
Waster

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 20 post(s)
If you look at the archives you'll see a lot of topics like this. They're all posts from people that feel that some aspect of Tanks is highly unrealistic.

They're right. Almost every aspect of Tanks is unrealistic in some way, because it's not a simulationist game. If you added rules for things like this to the game in search of that realism for long enough you'd end up with Flames of War.

Tanks is a light little skirmish game. You can teach someone the basics of how to play in about ten minutes, and after they've played a single game they usually have enough knowledge to build their own list. Realism necessarily suffers for that, but I think it's worth it.

On an unrelated note:
I don't want to be rude but you have created a LOT of forum topics lately
Some of them are great but many of them, like this one, seem more like responses to existing topics. As a result, more active topics or topics from other users in general are being buried. Can you try and reign it back just a little?

Thanks
-JPF
Kelvin  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 16, 2017 11:43:05 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

I hate to reply like this as Im usually not easily offended but sorry man, I want to agree but I feel kinda put out by that.

Firstly, I fedl I havent created as many posts as you say and some of what I have has been a word to GF9 about the state of spam on here.

Secondly, just a few days ago people were complaining about how dead it was around here. Now I take a critisism for activley trying to get people talking again. It kinda sucks.

Thirdly, I apologise if some topics are a re hash, it wasnt intentional or meant to bury anyones posts. In all fairness time and people just not responding does that without my help.

Lastly, with all respect, I havent done anything wrong, nor are you a forum administrator.

The truth is I am really trying to keep going with a game that we've all agreed is coming down to us fans keeping alive, this is not a rebuke or me saying anything ill toward you, but I wouldve appreciated a private message regarding this as its made me feel like whats the point.

Sorry mate but I feel I got to be honest.
Kelvin Griffiths, Attack Wing Captain, Lord Of Rings Hero and Tank Commander. Sort of...
Ozariig  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 2:30:07 AM(UTC)
Ozariig

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
For what it's worth, it's the nature of forums that conversations get re-hashed. When they do, the answers are always slightly different because different people play off of each other in different ways. That's how the meta-conversation progresses, and I see it as a positive thing.

Regarding the OP, I see lots of value in house rules for such things and I'd love to see someone take a crack at a historical realism mod for this game. I suspect that at such close quarters turret traversal would make a big difference, but gun range would not. My gut feeling is that the vast range of the big guns would be better modeled as some extra punch at close range due to higher muzzle velocity, but I'm far from an expert at such things.

If we want to talk about differences in range, I think we should talk about ground scale and table size. The Axis & Allies Miniatures (AAM) approach was to have guns roll different numbers of dice at different ranges (usually far more up close), but that only really made sense when each 3" hex represented 100 meters. At 15mm groundscale, your 3'x3' play mat is more like 90 meters, so we're already using the closest penetration values that a game like AAM sought to model.

Edited by user Friday, November 17, 2017 2:33:04 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Ozariig for this useful post.
JagdWehrwolf on 11/25/2017(UTC)
Kelvin  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2017 2:56:47 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Before this thread turns into something it shouldn't be, Waster, I just wanna say bro that I'm not angry or harbour any ill will. If I'm being honest, I read your message at a bad time last night and I probably took it the wrong way.

You seem like a decent guy so Im gonna say for my part it's water under the bridge and I hope we can continue corresponding without any issue.

Regards
Maliboost  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 3:20:24 AM(UTC)
Maliboost

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kelvin Go to Quoted Post
So I know TANKS is meant to be "abstract", but after some thought I kind of realised the unlimited range and turret turning being none existant was actually ignoring two major parts of tank warfare.

Now I realise that its fair too argue thats part of initiative value possibly, but I still feel thats not the case.

Am I the only one to ponder this, or is it a real mishap with the current ruleset. I know from documentaries, a Tiger had more range than a Sherman, but the Sherman could 'Be on target' quicker due to shorter barrel and faster rotating turret.

I also think there needs to be a rear shot bonus as well as a flank shot, after all a tanks rear armour is always the weakest.

Ive been playing on very large maps lately about 8 feet by 4 feet and the unlimited range is really fun. You move your tank thinking you are safe then all of a sudden your enemy declares a shot from one corner of the map to the other and after tracing the line you see that gaps in cover lined up perfectly.
Kelvin  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 8, 2017 3:32:24 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

That was my concern (a larger map), but with how you describe it, sounds fine.

To be fair, since my original post, I ve become more accepting of the simplified vision. I just got used to ranges in STAW and how that tactically affected the game.
Sohlon  
#8 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 7:02:30 AM(UTC)
Sohlon

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
What sort of ranges are we talking here? Even at 15mm scale a 3" board is only a small area. (I'm not about to do the math). Turret considerations are unfortunately a little too abstract in a game where a tank can basically pirouette up and down the field. Even the big brother Flames of war isn't that involved. The problem really stems from once you start adding realism you have to bring everything in line so turret traversal in a game with abstract movement is a no go unfortunately.

Maybe write up some "advanced" rules and post them up so people can have a look if they fancy a more in depth experience.
Kelvin  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 8:46:11 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

It's ranges are a 12 inch stick I think. Split into 3 parts. Close, medium and long range. Different weapons have different ranges and effects.

STAW is also played on a 3x3 board traditionally, so that's why I'd assumed that tanks would have been the same.
Sohlon  
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 9, 2017 11:42:11 PM(UTC)
Sohlon

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The only problem with those measurements is that at 15mm scale 12 inch is only about 36meters which in terms of short medium and long range is negligible. On a 3 foot board the max distance between two units is only going to be about 152 meters which is well below the short range of most weapons. It makes ranges in wargames a somewhat abstract concept.

Shane really as it takes a level of realism from the games but it's the nature of the beast.
Kelvin  
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2017 12:45:27 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

To be fair as well. A big part of attack wing is firing arcs (representative of where the phasers and torpedo launchers are). With most of tanks having a 360 fire, I guess ranges are not necessary in tanks. Plus a board scaled up is way less than half a mile in real life. Tanks could easily shoot further than this anyway so it's actually accurate in a weird way.
Zerstorer  
#12 Posted : Sunday, December 10, 2017 5:13:30 AM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
The game models are in 1/100 scale, so the board area is 300 square feet in scale. Shooting from one edge to the other is a mere football field of separation. The longest range on th board would be from a corner to an opposite diagonal corner....so 4.24 feet...424 feet in scale.

However, scale distortion is common in wargames for good reasons....table space is limited. I always think of a Tanks table representing an area of about 500 yards square, so I think that is about 1/500 scale. The models are way too big, but scale distortion was a necessity to facilitate the game design...allowing a pleasing size of model/terrain to be used on a small table.

Turns in Tanks are probably very short. If a tank at speed 2 is covering about a foot, that is 500 scale feet. I believe a tank at 20 mph would cover 1760 feet in a minute. Therefore, a Tanks turn must be somewhat less than a minute. However, since tanks often halt, move, halt etc....perhaps a turn is best thought of as covering something like 30 seconds?

Check this out...good discussion of tank engagement ranges in Northwest Europe:
http://www.dupuyinstitut.../Forum4/HTML/000067.html

thanks 2 users thanked Zerstorer for this useful post.
Kelvin on 12/14/2017(UTC), Ozariig on 12/16/2017(UTC)
MATRAKA14  
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 8:10:42 AM(UTC)
MATRAKA14

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I use the following house rule:

During the shooting phase of a tank, the tank can turn his turret up to 90º to the left/right.
Turreted tanks need to point to the enemy with the gun to be able to shoot.

It really enhances the gameplay and makes you think about your movements and flanking maneuvers. The movement arrow can easily help you to check the 90º.

Also it doesn't make the pace any slower. Everyone that plays with me prefers to play this way because it makes the game more interesting and tense.

Also, come on, it's a tank game, it needs some kind of simple and fun turret gameplay mechanic.
thanks 1 user thanked MATRAKA14 for this useful post.
Kelvin on 12/14/2017(UTC)
Kelvin  
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 14, 2017 10:32:15 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

That's a nice idea. Oddly, I already have a habit of turning the turret towards my intended target.

I may have to try this house rule out. Do you say that it can shoot at a 90% arc or a 180% arc of where turret is facing?
MATRAKA14  
#15 Posted : Monday, December 18, 2017 12:22:56 PM(UTC)
MATRAKA14

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kelvin Go to Quoted Post
That's a nice idea. Oddly, I already have a habit of turning the turret towards my intended target.

I may have to try this house rule out. Do you say that it can shoot at a 90% arc or a 180% arc of where turret is facing?

just 90º "degrees" to left or right not both, and your barrel has to be pointing directly at the enemy tank.

If the turret gets stuck then the gun gets stuck in that position (quite fun when you try to aim and move with that handicap)
thanks 1 user thanked MATRAKA14 for this useful post.
Kelvin on 12/18/2017(UTC)
Kelvin  
#16 Posted : Monday, December 18, 2017 10:30:24 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Nice. Will have a go with these rules next game.
Slim  
#17 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 4:53:48 AM(UTC)
Slim

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I see the game as so abstract that almost any authentic symbolism can be interpreted or incorporated into it without changing any rules. Any more as detailed range, speed, damage, turret traversal or tank turning rules might be superfluous and be contra productive. Keep in mind its rated at 8 + years on the net so as consensus; its not a 4 hour game tank simulator.

If one get over zealous on the subject for a debate using reality as a measurement one can see that a game turn is most likely several minutes based on handling tank movement rules and damage cards i.e. one can turn the tank or turret around for as many time that one like to.

An in game “shot” rolling the dice is actually several rounds being fired. In WWII one kept firing at a target until the target could be visually identified as being destroyed, usually 3-4 rounds at a rapid succession as you don’t dare to take a break to experience the targets response unless its burning or its crew is crawling everywhere. Any damage is the symbolic result of everything from shrapnel, deflections, spalling to full hull penetrations and catastrophic ammo explosions.

But my gun is better then yours, but at a 100m (game area @ 1:100) even high explosive rounds from long-barreled weapons could punch holes in some 40mm thick plates of welded armor at 0º by pure energy (good bye most German tanks shot in the side). Just the energy chock of a non-penetration is forceful enough to crack fuel tanks, rupture oil and gas lines, burst shell casings and even damage engine blocks.

But my armor is better then yours… generally yes its a plus, but also one has to take account of the multitude of ways to take out a bigger tank then yours @ the range of a 100m were the average shot dispersion is less then the size of a dinner plate and gunners don’t shoot at areas where they know the armor is too thick.

What's also new to many PC game players is that one is technically blind in a tank. All close combat between tanks in broken terrain or close to settlements is at crawling speeds as victory lies with the first observation and aimed first round.
Simon says: -In the next paintball game, try paint the eye protection black and leave out a spot size of a BB for one eye. Then run across the field with the gun close to the face and head looking up and down, up and down as quickly as you can and then you know the major issues of WWII tank warfare.

So question remains on what one want the game to resemble?

For me as long as the rules don’t state something that really stings in the eye, I mean radically opposes the general conduct of tank combat, its fine. Oh, yes there are things that I feel is highly dubious but then again 8+...

/Slim
thanks 2 users thanked Slim for this useful post.
Kelvin on 12/30/2017(UTC), CmdrRook on 12/30/2017(UTC)
Kelvin  
#18 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 7:13:49 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

A well argued and evidenced point there slim.

I now see any additions I make to the rules as just pure fun condition changers, kind of like how you set parameters on a multiplayer video game or something.

thanks 1 user thanked Kelvin for this useful post.
CmdrRook on 12/30/2017(UTC)