Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Waster  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 4:56:34 AM(UTC)
Waster

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 20 post(s)
We started taking a look at the month 2 OPS for the Desert Fox series to run it and we have no idea what the mission is.
Pleaae help.
Either some of the rules text is wrong, and the included diagram is wrong, or all of the rules text is right and the included diagram is wrong and the mission is almost impossible, or the included diagram is right and and and if that's the case we have no idea what to do.

Please help!
The rock walls seem fun
Sean at TANKS HQ  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 1:34:07 PM(UTC)
Sean at TANKS HQ

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 83 post(s)
What specific issue are you running into?
CmdrRook  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 2:41:09 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Either:

Scenario 1. (As the rules state) The defenders deploy next to and sit on their objectives to score and win while the attackers must rush across the board in three turns to contest all three objectives for the remaining five turns, or

Scenario 2. (As the illustration depicts) The attackers deploy next to the objectives and must defend them as the defenders attempt to break through and score two points within eight turns, or

Scenario 3. (As neither rules nor illustration suggest) Setup as in 1, except the attackers must score the points and the defenders must prevent this.

Since the illustration included is inverted from what the rules text describes, we're at a bit of a loss.

Scenario 1 seems almost impossible to win as attackers, least of all if they are not Germans. The US in particular struggles in getting across the board in time to stop the defenders from winning. The scenario is unclear in particular if the defender can score multiple points by holding multiple objectives, where other scenarios are quite clear.

Scenario 2 seems more balanced, but opposes the lore of the mission as the defenders are supposed to be retreating from the attackers, not pushing through them. It does remind me of Bagration, Month 2 of The Bear Awakens.

Scenario 3 seems the most logical, but neither the rules text nor the illustration coincides with it, and negates Rommel's one point liability.

Any clarification would be deeply appreciated.
Sean at TANKS HQ  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 3:57:50 PM(UTC)
Sean at TANKS HQ

Sounds like a misprint to me. If I'm hearing correct, the rules incorrectly states that the Defenders are the one scoring victory points.

This was caught during the proofing process, but it sounds like an older print file got used.

UserPostedImage

Attacker places the objectives, and can score VPs from them after turn 2. Defender deploys in front of the objectives and has to hold their line.

If my suspicions are correct and the wrong thing has been printed, I am very sorry. I'll try to make sure we get the correct pdf version available on the front page ASAP.

Edited by user Tuesday, September 5, 2017 4:02:41 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Sean at TANKS HQ for this useful post.
CmdrRook on 9/5/2017(UTC), Waster on 9/5/2017(UTC)
CmdrRook  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 4:00:01 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Much obliged. Thank you, Sean. And yes, that image reads very differently from our store's physical copy. Basically every instance of the words "attacker" and "defender" in the scoring phase text and illustration are inverted, as one of our friends had theorized.

Edited by user Tuesday, September 5, 2017 4:05:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Clarification.

Waster  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2017 11:31:07 PM(UTC)
Waster

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 20 post(s)
Much appreciated! This was the possibility that seemed the most playable but required the most surgical re-writing of our printed rules. Seems a shame that Rommel's VP granting downside doesn't come into play this month, but it seems like a solid mission type.
Sean at TANKS HQ  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 4:37:15 PM(UTC)
Sean at TANKS HQ

The pdf is up for download now guys.
http://tanks.gf9games.co...th2-Withdrawal-LoRes.pdf
thanks 1 user thanked Sean at TANKS HQ for this useful post.
Zerstorer on 9/9/2017(UTC)
LordOfKhemri  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 8, 2017 8:24:46 PM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
thanks.

Will there be a terrain sheet as well with the rock Walls on?

2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
Zerstorer  
#9 Posted : Saturday, September 9, 2017 3:30:56 AM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sean at TANKS HQ Go to Quoted Post
The pdf is up for download now guys.
http://tanks.gf9games.co...th2-Withdrawal-LoRes.pdf

Hey Sean....or anyone who can help....where can I get the decals for US tanks in North Africa? I really want those yellow wraparound bars and stars for the turrets and have never found any that are the right size.

Thanks again!
Sean at TANKS HQ  
#10 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2017 9:49:47 AM(UTC)
Sean at TANKS HQ

Originally Posted by: LordOfKhemri Go to Quoted Post
thanks.

I'll see about getting a pdf up for those.

Originally Posted by: Zerstorer Go to Quoted Post

Hey Sean....or anyone who can help....where can I get the decals for US tanks in North Africa? I really want those yellow wraparound bars and stars for the turrets and have never found any that are the right size.

Currently, the decals are only available in the Flames of War tank platoon boxes. But, we're currently working on getting them added to our online store for special order.
They should be available in the next few weeks. Once they are, I'll report back here and let you know codes / url so you can order them.
thanks 1 user thanked Sean at TANKS HQ for this useful post.
Zerstorer on 9/11/2017(UTC)
Zerstorer  
#11 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2017 5:53:29 PM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Sean at TANKS HQ Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: LordOfKhemri Go to Quoted Post
thanks.

I'll see about getting a pdf up for those.

Originally Posted by: Zerstorer Go to Quoted Post

Currently, the decals are only available in the Flames of War tank platoon boxes. But, we're currently working on getting them added to our online store for special order.
They should be available in the next few weeks. Once they are, I'll report back here and let you know codes / url so you can order them.

Sounds great! I will be looking forward to those decals! My early American tanks definitely need them...and the North African campaign has always been a favorite of mine!

Jhary  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 28, 2018 4:46:42 AM(UTC)
Jhary

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
When will the 3rd month as PDF be avaible?
bartok  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 1:08:01 AM(UTC)
bartok

UserPostedImage
1. Rock Walls doesnt block line of sight? Missed in the description.
2. If the shooting tank is touching the wall... what happens?. Cover only for the tank who is touching the wall?
No Cover for both?
3. If the defender is on terrain piece. No cover for him?
4 If attacker and defender are on same terrain piece. Cover?
5 If attacker and defender are on different terrain piece. Cover?
Need some clarifications.

Edited by user Wednesday, March 14, 2018 1:10:38 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CmdrRook  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 3:39:38 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

1. Is that a question? If so: the answer is no, the walls so not block line of sight, because at no point do they list blocking line of sight.

2. If the shooting tank is on the low wall, the defender does not get cover from that low wall. Full stop. This represents the Hull Down mechanics everyone was looking for early on. I can clarify for the sake of those still confused.

3. If the shooting tank is drawing line of sight to three corners of the defending tank without shooting through the low wall, and isn't on that wall itself, the defending tank does not receive cover. If if must draw line of sight to two of the defending tank's corners through the wall, and isn't on that wall itself, the defending tank has cover.

4. Neither receive cover from the wall because during each shot, the attacker is on the same wall with the same rule "defender receives cover unless shooter is on the wall."

5. See 3.

Here's a question you didn't ask, but I'll include because it comes up, sometimes:

Q6: if I've already moved my tank once this turn (or twice with fast,) may I move into the low wall terrain as long as I don't move across it more than once?
A: No. The movement cap is retroactive, meaning that a tank that moves across a low wall can move no more than once total that turn. A tank on its second or third movement may not cross it.
Q6b: What about bonus movement from cautious or Blitzkrieg?
A: Bonus movement is still movement, and the turn doesn't end until after Blitzkrieg movement happens. If your Blitz or Cautious was that tank's first movement for the turn, it may move across a wall. If not, it may not.

Don't forget wheeled vehicles can't cross walls at all!

Soft sand has similar rules regarding movement, so keep an eye out, there.
thanks 1 user thanked CmdrRook for this useful post.
OCD Paul on 3/14/2018(UTC)
bartok  
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 5:04:22 AM(UTC)
bartok

UserPostedImage
Thanks for the clarifications, but my thoughts were about touching or not the wall, first the attacker and then the defender, not about seeing 3 corners.
Examples:
A1 attacks Red. YES, (LOS), cover
A2 attacks Red. YES, no cover
A3 attacks Yellow. YES, no cover

Then, Red and Yellow are the shooting tanks:
Red attacks A1, Yes, cover
Red attacks A2. Yes,  the first 2 corners open, SE corner through the wall, Attacker open terrain, ¿?¿?¿? Cover
Red attacks A3. Yes, cover

Then, another example, forget RED.
A3 attacks A1. A3 is on the wall, but LOS through another 2nd wall. YES, cover (because of 2nd wall).

Edited by user Thursday, March 15, 2018 5:13:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CmdrRook  
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 2:28:24 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

You aced the examples. All of the above are correct, for the correct reasons. As for red attacking a2, a2 receives cover, because shooting through the wall grants cover, and you would have to draw line of sight though the wall to its back corners. This meets the obstruction clause of Cover, the rule, itself, as well as the wall rule. Since a2 is the defender, not the attacker in this instance, the wall is not ignored.

Edited by user Thursday, March 15, 2018 2:34:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Answered the question.