Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cerebus  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 4:02:36 AM(UTC)
Cerebus

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
The Ernst Barkmann card has the following text "If this tank does not score any un-cancelled hits or critical hits with its first attack, make another attack".

Now, does this mean its first attack of the game ONLY or its first attack EVERY turn. As I cant think of a situation where a tank gets more than one attack per turn the word first implies that its the former.

Any clarification Sean at Tanks??
hithero  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 8:31:03 AM(UTC)
hithero

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I'd guess its every turn, pretty useless and pointless otherwise. 'first. does need to be removed from the description though to make it clear.
Sean at TANKS HQ  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 9:15:13 AM(UTC)
Sean at TANKS HQ

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 83 post(s)
There are a couple of heroes that grant a second attack in the same turn. Barkmann's text specifies that it only applies to the first of those attacks.

If Barkmann's text didn't specify 'first attack' it could also be argued that you can continue making attacks until you score at least one hit.
thanks 2 users thanked Sean at TANKS HQ for this useful post.
WolfBenrath on 5/3/2016(UTC), Ed on 6/15/2016(UTC)
Kozi  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 10:46:07 AM(UTC)
Kozi

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
So a corrected text could/should read:

If this tank does not score any un-cancelled hits or critical hits with its first attack OF THE GAME, make another attack.
Sean at TANKS HQ  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 11:27:50 AM(UTC)
Sean at TANKS HQ

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kozi Go to Quoted Post
So a corrected text could/should read:

If this tank does not score any un-cancelled hits or critical hits with its first attack OF THE GAME, make another attack.

No, it should be read as:
"If this tank does not score any un-cancelled hits or critical hits with its first attack each turn, make another attack."
thanks 2 users thanked Sean at TANKS HQ for this useful post.
Ed on 6/15/2016(UTC), QuietBob on 2/24/2017(UTC)
Cerebus  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 11:34:42 PM(UTC)
Cerebus

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Thanks Sean. That makes Barkmann very powerful. Mind you, 2 Shermans getting behind him soon sorted him out ;-)
RJ  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 19, 2016 5:54:31 AM(UTC)
RJ

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 8 post(s)
We were playing this as meaning 'no hits' not 'no uncanceled hits' which meant were were re-rolling even when he missed by rolling badly...
Skillamac  
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 19, 2016 8:57:02 AM(UTC)
Skillamac

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
So basically if Barkmann totally misses with his first attack scoring no un canceled hits he gets to make another attack. However if he does hit and all those shots are canceled he doesn't get the second attack??
mikeymajq  
#9 Posted : Sunday, June 19, 2016 8:58:25 AM(UTC)
mikeymajq

Originally Posted by: RJ Go to Quoted Post
We were playing this as meaning 'no hits' not 'no uncanceled hits' which meant were were re-rolling even when he missed by rolling badly...

I'm very confused by the wording on his card. Is it correct that he only gets a reroll if he hits but the hits are cancelled by defence dice, or does he only get to reroll if he whiffs and doesn't score any hits? :P
Skillamac  
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 19, 2016 9:13:29 AM(UTC)
Skillamac

I'm confused too but I think it's if he whiffs it totally that he gets another attempt to attack..
RJ  
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 19, 2016 9:23:05 AM(UTC)
RJ

Pretty sure it means that he gets to reroll IF he hits in the first place but they are all negated.
hithero  
#12 Posted : Sunday, June 19, 2016 9:30:04 AM(UTC)
hithero

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
If he he does not hit at all then he has scored no uncancelled hits
If he hits and then all of them are blocked he scores no uncancelled hits.
Ergo, if he causes no damaged in the first attack then he gets the other shot off
'tis very confusing wording though.
Skillamac  
#13 Posted : Sunday, June 19, 2016 9:30:21 AM(UTC)
Skillamac

Originally Posted by: RJ Go to Quoted Post
Pretty sure it means that he gets to reroll IF he hits in the first place but they are all negated.

Yup I can see how it could be read as that too.. That double negative plays with the brain..
RJ  
#14 Posted : Sunday, June 19, 2016 9:35:53 AM(UTC)
RJ

Originally Posted by: hithero Go to Quoted Post
If he he does not hit at all then he has scored no uncancelled hits
If he hits and then all of them are blocked he scores no uncancelled hits.
Ergo, if he causes no damaged in the first attack then he gets the other shot off
'tis very confusing wording though.

Yeh that's what I thought but the rule book seems to define unconcerned hits happening after the defence dice are rolled. This only happens if you roll a hit in the first place. So it seems to point to you having to hit. I think the intention is as simple as if you miss you reroll - but...
RJ  
#15 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2016 11:01:03 AM(UTC)
RJ

Got a clarification from HQ - it triggers when you miss or have all hits cancelled.
Capn_JNUTT  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2016 7:52:53 PM(UTC)
Capn_JNUTT

So my group just started playing, and started using cards.

With what I'm reading this means that Barkman make one attack with a potential chance of reroll as per the card.

Does this only happen once per turn or does he keep he keep rerolling until he scores a hit?

Just asking because we have a guy who reads it as such, but the rest of us don't read it that way.

Essentially, this boils down to a can you reroll a reroll? I guess is the other portion I'm asking.
Cgen1984  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, June 28, 2016 9:50:35 PM(UTC)
Cgen1984

Originally Posted by: Capn_JNUTT Go to Quoted Post
So my group just started playing, and started using cards.

With what I'm reading this means that Barkman make one attack with a potential chance of reroll as per the card.

Does this only happen once per turn or does he keep he keep rerolling until he scores a hit?

Just asking because we have a guy who reads it as such, but the rest of us don't read it that way.

Essentially, this boils down to a can you reroll a reroll? I guess is the other portion I'm asking.

Barkmann does not get to reroll a reroll. That would be rather unbalanced. It would give the tank which uses barkmann a guaranteed hit every turn.

You miss, or get your hits cancelled -> Reroll. If the reroll misses -> end of story for barkmann.

barca  
#18 Posted : Sunday, July 3, 2016 12:55:05 PM(UTC)
barca

Since Barkmann's re-roll is "another attack", then logically the defender makes a second re-roll of his/her defense dice.
Correct?
shifty33  
#19 Posted : Sunday, July 3, 2016 4:09:32 PM(UTC)
shifty33

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Barkmann's second attack is not a re-roll is a new attack. So yes they would roll def dice again as its another attack. Alsoears if say he stayed still he can reroll the attack if he wiffs on the attack.
MegaSilver  
#20 Posted : Sunday, July 3, 2016 4:29:23 PM(UTC)
MegaSilver

Barkman is effectively Gunner or Luke crew from X-Wing (for those like me who are also into X-Wing.)