Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CmdrRook  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2017 1:28:45 PM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
I assembled my Honey today, and found the sprue quality to be the lowest I've encountered yet, from the Tanks line. While the Grant went together like a dream, I had issue after issue with the Honey, and I'm still struggling to correct one.

Firstly, I habitually dry fit my models, and noticed the hull didn't seat quite right on the chassis. Investigation revealed an insidious but of flash on one of the tabs that stick up off of the track pieces, impinging on the body. I shaved it down, but the fit was still... off. I figured it'd be ironed out in gluing, but after drying, I was still left with large gaps between the tabs and the top hull. When I applied the side skirts, they too didn't key to the hull well, leaving bows and gaps behind despite the trimming and filling.

Lastly, when it came time to work on the turret, I found that the sub-structure of the turret doesn't quite reach the ring shaped relief on top of the tank and doesn't key together at all, leading to the turret sliding around on the hull all willy nilly, even when magnetized. I figured the robust ring on the sprue might be some kind of collar that the turret could seat onto once glued to the hull, but the internal diameter is much too small to accept the turret without significant reboring.

Anyone else had this issues, or resolved them? Pictures here: imgur gallery

Edited by user Tuesday, July 18, 2017 1:50:08 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Added photographic guide to my issues.

Kelvin  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 12:10:08 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Funnily enough, I had the opposite problem.

My Honey went together fine, but my Grant (specifically the skirts) were a pain. They just wouldnt line up properly. Theyre on and look ok, but it bugs me as I can see they are wonky with gaps everytime I look.

I plan on desert camo netting when I paint to hide the faults.
Kelvin Griffiths, Attack Wing Captain, Lord Of Rings Hero and Tank Commander. Sort of...
CmdrRook  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2017 1:20:12 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

I attacked the collar with a file and seated it in the honey turret, but I'm mystified why there are enough parts to build both turrets except the one collar ring.

I plan to use tiny clay snakes due body fill before priming and painting.
Rhet Sark  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 21, 2017 6:03:11 AM(UTC)
Rhet Sark

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I assembled my Grant and Honey last night. Had lots of trouble with the rear of the chassis on the Honey, and similar problems with gaps between the body and the panels on the tracks.

I need to putty fill the gaps tonight.

I have not yet tried seating the turret. I suppose that too will be a little off when I try it tonight.

I had no issues with the grant.
Maliboost  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 5:54:59 AM(UTC)
Maliboost

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The side armor did not meet the top of the hull on all of my honeys. I just filled the gap and wont bother trying to fix it
CmdrRook  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 6:12:39 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Yeah, these issues carried through all of my Us Stuarts, as well. I was able to avoid using the collars by gluing the right sized neodymium magnet to the inside of the turret, which keys into the inner part of the chassis ring and pulls against a larger magnet glued to the inside of the chassis. Gaps still plagued my builds, and filling with putty was necessary. This mold just wasn't a winner, in my book.
Maliboost  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 19, 2018 10:46:05 PM(UTC)
Maliboost

I didnt put the collars on mine and it seemed to fit perfectly, maybe i did something wrong
CmdrRook  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 20, 2018 2:22:50 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Do you use the pins, or do you magnetize?
Maliboost  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 20, 2018 2:35:46 AM(UTC)
Maliboost

I used the pins on these. I will have to take a better look at them
Axioma  
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 27, 2018 7:51:30 PM(UTC)
Axioma

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I have found the same problem with my Stuarts recently: The sides of the tank didn't fit well, and the model has some gaps here and there...

Next time I'll use greenstuff for fix the problem, but yeah, Honey and Stuart are not so sweet... :_(
Best Job I've Ever Had
dogg  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 1, 2018 9:31:02 PM(UTC)
dogg

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I've built 2 Honey and a Stuart with no problems sofar.
thanks 1 user thanked dogg for this useful post.
CmdrRook on 2/2/2018(UTC)