Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kelvin  
#1 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 10:33:47 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Hi guys

So lately theres been a couple of threads about this game being in trouble and maybe it is. I even said to paraphrase 'It better shape up or ship out'.

Then not 20 mins ago something happened.

I was looking in my model cabinets (an odd mix of trek ships and lord of rings) and I saw my TANKS models, specifically my recreation of the FURY tank.

As I stood there admiring my work, I remembered the games this model played and the FUN I had, I remembered wanting to do the rest of the platoon and finally, almost stoically, I remembered the REAL guys of WW2.

Truth is, TANKS actually is hard for me to let go of for all those reasons, so even with a slightly weary heart Im going to 'Re enlist' for 2018 if you will and this time Im gonna set objectives, for my painting, gaming and posts on here.

I invite those bold enough to do the same too, we can inspire each other to our objectives, a sort of band of brothers if you will.
Kelvin Griffiths, Attack Wing Captain, Lord Of Rings Hero and Tank Commander. Sort of...
thanks 4 users thanked Kelvin for this useful post.
CmdrRook on 11/10/2017(UTC), CraigH on 11/10/2017(UTC), Axeman on 11/11/2017(UTC), Ozariig on 11/15/2017(UTC)
CmdrRook  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 11:12:51 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Hey, I really like this idea, and it got me mulling over my own paint neglected models. I could see spinning this as a sort of "Propaganda Campaign," and some objectives spring to mind, subject to feedback and change.

Recruitment and Retention:
1. Play an introductory game of Tanks with someone who hasn't played the game before.
2. Encourage someone to become a member of the Tanks HQ forums.

Battle Readiness:
1. Paint (x number of) models for your Platoon.
2. Share a photo or video of your paint jobs.

Letters from the Front:
1. Share a battle report of a game of Tanks.

Mass Offensive:
1. Run or Participate in an Organized Play Event for Tanks.
2. Have the TO share a photo of the completed score sheet for the OP kit.

Thoughts, alterations, additions?
thanks 3 users thanked CmdrRook for this useful post.
Kelvin on 11/10/2017(UTC), CraigH on 11/10/2017(UTC), Axeman on 11/11/2017(UTC)
Kelvin  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 11:18:43 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

I like it Commander, I like it a lot.

Your on same page as me mate, I knew that the fire was still there for this.

My initial plan is pretty much like you say, come up with an objective, post it, do it and then post results.

Still aint got ps4 photo uploading down. Hope new phone will suffice when it arrives tomorrow.
Kelvin Griffiths, Attack Wing Captain, Lord Of Rings Hero and Tank Commander. Sort of...
Dr Large  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 11:32:16 AM(UTC)
Dr Large

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 13 post(s)
With some fancy organisation skills we might be able to do a forum battle report if we can get people to some half way point. that could be a fun battle report as local metas can vary a lot
thanks 1 user thanked Dr Large for this useful post.
Kelvin on 11/10/2017(UTC)
Kelvin  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 12:24:04 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

That sounds cool. I must confess Ive always liked the idea of actually gaming with you guys. If only it were as easy to track as chess.
CraigH  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 10, 2017 3:08:31 PM(UTC)
CraigH

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Volunteering for duty, sir !

I really like this idea. I'll have to see what I can come up with. I'm leaving on holidays soon and may not be thinking about Tanks while I am gone - but when I'm back, I'll see what I can do.

One idea I had for people who, like me, may be better at collecting / painting than playing is get every Tank you own in at least one game.

Personally, I should finish (by playing) my CDN 4th vs 12th SS project. Have decals and started painting the Canadians - but then it kind of stalled.
thanks 1 user thanked CraigH for this useful post.
Kelvin on 11/10/2017(UTC)
CmdrRook  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 12, 2017 1:06:28 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Originally Posted by: Kelvin Go to Quoted Post
That sounds cool. I must confess Ive always liked the idea of actually gaming with you guys. If only it were as easy to track as chess.

Tabletop Simulator is one option, provided you own it on steam and can run it on your PC.

Roll20, originally designed to support online "pen and paper" rpgs may take a bit more work to adapt, but includes all the tools to make Tanks go: 2d map, uploadable image templates, measuring tools, dice rollers, and even customizable card decks.
Kelvin  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 12, 2017 2:15:36 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Shame I dont own a pc. Id already heard of the STAW and 40k versions of this. They do look cool.
Marengo  
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 12, 2017 10:31:27 PM(UTC)
Marengo

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Lets do this thing!
Time to paint up the brave lads of the 7th armoured regiment and Rommel's battle hardened vets for a clash at bir el gubi.
10 tanks in 1 week. No problem.
Kelvin  
#10 Posted : Sunday, November 12, 2017 11:43:54 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Good luck mate, let us know how it goes.

As soon as im well again (caught some nasty flu, kind where doing anythings basically a no) Im gonna carry on with my late war US shermans.
Zerstorer  
#11 Posted : Monday, November 13, 2017 5:11:27 AM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
If only we could get these spammers into Tanks, then the game would take off! The spammers seem to have boundless energy!
CmdrRook  
#12 Posted : Monday, November 13, 2017 6:54:15 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Robots don't get tired, unfortunately.
CraigH  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 4:28:53 PM(UTC)
CraigH

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Okay, here's my plan:

1. Introduce at least two new people to the game.

2. Finish my CDN 4th vs German 12th SS project - this has been on the paint bench for a while, I need to get it moving again - although I'm kind of thinking I might finish this one this year if I don't waste too much time being social over Christmas. :-)

3. Try out at least three "house rules" - meaning using terrain that isn't in the game (hills or rivers for example) or tanks not in the game.

4. Post at least two battle reports, either here or on BGG

I think the fourth one might be the toughest.

Wish me luck !
Kelvin  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2017 11:52:01 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Sounds good. Would love to see pictures of your Canadian army when they're done.
Maliboost  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 13, 2017 2:46:50 AM(UTC)
Maliboost

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
When games die I like to stay and swoop up the deals. I was a huge Axis and Allies Miniatures player so when the game died Miniature Market was selling cases of 12 boosters for 1/2 price and I bought them all. Still invite people and teach them to play it once a year. I cant stand most of the "gaming" people so I have to choose games that have ease of access and can be taught over an hour.
Kelvin  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, December 13, 2017 3:58:28 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Yep. Lord of the rings strategy battle game is considered dead. Yet I have a massive collection of it and I still regularly play it. It also happens to be one of the best games I have ever played.

Not that I want tanks to die out.
Slim  
#17 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 1:47:05 AM(UTC)
Slim

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Love it!

2018??...Within the parameters of considerations:
Too many cool games has been released lately.
The 20y. old gang split up two years ago. Bummer.
Too tired or too little motivation to head for local clubs involving myself in competitive gaming. I (personal opinion) find some of these too arti- and super-ficial (like using a table top game to prove one self to fill up some Dr. Philian attention deficiencies from ones childhood). I'm more of wanting to hang out with friends and enjoy a good game together. Casual spontaneous gaming, like when you was a kid playing, imagine yourself into the game and meta game it as little as possible.

So 2018, if I can uphold the inspiration and motivation (much thanks to threads like this), so it doesn't end up like “just another box on the shelf”, would be like (not necessary in order):

1) Try to sell it in with a friend (who is an avid player of all the rest) and his friend.

2) “Easternize” the starter box and paint pieces like M4A3’s to become Soviet lend lease M4A2’s (only me sees the difference of the air-intake of the engine deck :P )

3) Look for some additional tanks for some variations for a two player game (I'm playing with “adults”, so if I want them to participate I have to invest for them so they can play!??).

4) Look at ideas and try out some fun scenarios that really get the feel of the Winter 1944 /Spring 45.

5) LOVE battle reports!

/Slim
Swished3  
#18 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 5:06:59 AM(UTC)
Swished3

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Maliboost Go to Quoted Post
When games die I like to stay and swoop up the deals. I was a huge Axis and Allies Miniatures player so when the game died Miniature Market was selling cases of 12 boosters for 1/2 price and I bought them all. Still invite people and teach them to play it once a year. I cant stand most of the "gaming" people so I have to choose games that have ease of access and can be taught over an hour.

I also have an extensive Axis and Allies Minis collection - all 3 games: land, air and sea.

I originally thought, "cool! I can use the version 2 land minis with the rules!" I still do for some specialty pieces... but as a former model builder I got drawn into building all the TANKS units (most at platoon level).
thanks 1 user thanked Swished3 for this useful post.
Maliboost on 12/30/2017(UTC)
Swished3  
#19 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 5:12:20 AM(UTC)
Swished3

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Slim Go to Quoted Post
Love it!

2018??...Within the parameters of considerations:
Too many cool games has been released lately.
The 20y. old gang split up two years ago. Bummer.
Too tired or too little motivation to head for local clubs involving myself in competitive gaming. I (personal opinion) find some of these too arti- and super-ficial (like using a table top game to prove one self to fill up some Dr. Philian attention deficiencies from ones childhood). I'm more of wanting to hang out with friends and enjoy a good game together. Casual spontaneous gaming, like when you was a kid playing, imagine yourself into the game and meta game it as little as possible.

So 2018, if I can uphold the inspiration and motivation (much thanks to threads like this), so it doesn't end up like “just another box on the shelf”, would be like (not necessary in order):

1) Try to sell it in with a friend (who is an avid player of all the rest) and his friend.

2) “Easternize” the starter box and paint pieces like M4A3’s to become Soviet lend lease M4A2’s (only me sees the difference of the air-intake of the engine deck :P )

3) Look for some additional tanks for some variations for a two player game (I'm playing with “adults”, so if I want them to participate I have to invest for them so they can play!??).

4) Look at ideas and try out some fun scenarios that really get the feel of the Winter 1944 /Spring 45.

5) LOVE battle reports!

/Slim

Sounds like you're playing with the wrong people. I know the kind you speak of.... when I found a local person to play Axis and Allies Miniatures it didn't work out. He was a "powergamer" who tried to bring only the strongest combos and crush you as soon as possible. He kept saying to me, "why did you bring those units???" and I'd say, "I haven't used them yet and they looked like fun." He'd roll his eyes and complain that I'm not building my army correctly.

My TANKS playgroup is the opposite. Everyone just wants to enjoy themselves and we point out/help with miscalculations and whatnot. Many of the players are also fairly new so we try to be accommodating so they can learn the game.

But at the end of the day it's supposed to be fun for everyone, and stomping an opponent quickly and rubbing it into their face isn't a great way to build longevity in a game or game group.
Kelvin  
#20 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 7:21:11 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

This is exactly why I made the move from gaming club to just private home matches with my children and my brother.

It's just a far more relaxed atmosphere, my days of attending tournaments and events are behind me now, I'm in the hobby because I like the painting and casual games.

I also agree with power listers. There should be a special place in gaming hell for those guys. I can't speak for it in tanks tournaments cause I've never been to one, but the STAW scene had some right bull**** go on. You got a freaking borg ship being captained by Jim Kirk with Cardassian tech? As a Trek fan, and a guy who enjoys a fair 'each faction should have its own merits' kind of guy stuff like that instantly puts me off.

I don't mind people making a strong, powerful list, just as long as there is flavour there and it feels somewhat authentic to the vision of the game. My American fury force is like that. A 76mm sherman tooled up to the extreme, but accompanied by two basic 75s. Not a weak list, but far from all dominating too.