Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zerstorer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 3, 2017 4:34:15 PM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Ran a couple games of Tanks last week. One game featured a what-if German force with a Maus, a Jagdtiger and a Stug IIIg defending a village from an attack by 3 loaded Sherman 76's and a Jackson. The Germans fared miserably. My Sherman wasted the Jagdtiger with one salvo and its return fire netted only 2 damage points (my Sherman had Boggs, War Daddy, Baby Richards and Groundhog Oiler in the crew). Next, the Maus tried to use blitzkrieg, but that triggered a check for its unreliable engine/drivetrain and it failed. The horde took that opportunity to pick off the hapless Stug. The Maus repaired and moved in the open to face the enemy and was obliterated, with War Daddy's Sherman scoring 7 hits using HVAP. The crits bailed the Maus, negating its final fury.

Baby Richards ability seems a little much. A free move at initiative 0 often produced good shooting spots without a speed modifier to shooting. We allowed rerolls as if stationary in this case and that might not be correct...however, the card seems to allow a free move every turn for the tank...and that move seems to be at speed 1 or 2. However, based on the interpretation of Bake's free move being one arrow only, that is what we used. Does that mean Richard's mount can move effectively 3 arrows every turn?

Here are the stats we used for the Maus:
1-7-4-10, heavy tank, slow tank, big gun and unreliable. In our game if the Maus uses a blitzkrieg move, then the player rolls with a 50% chance of being immobilized (damage can be repaired normally and yields no hits on the tank). In retrospect, having the Maus becoming on a 5, 6 or only on a 6 might be better for game balance. Maybe giving the gun an attack of 8 might be more realistic? I would suggest using two different colored attack dice to represent the 75mm coax gun...hits scored by these should not be modified by the big gun rule.

I will post pics after I get a chance to update my blog. I painted the Maus in red primer with a camo pattern sprayed on in dunkelgelb. It looks cool...better than its lackluster game performance!

Edited by user Tuesday, October 3, 2017 4:44:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CmdrRook  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 4, 2017 2:16:37 AM(UTC)
CmdrRook

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 40 post(s)
Stationary requires you don't move your tank. Out of phase movement negates stationary, even if it doesn't provide a movement token. Also, it sounds like you were also incorrectly rerolling your Stationary Reroll, unless you naturally rolled seven hits on seven dice, which is unusual but not impossible. These factors combined might warrant your crushing victory, as they did with my Americans initially, but I'll be the first to admit that Fury is just a VERY good tank, and well worth the 50 points plus upgrades.

Try replacing Groundhog with John P Irwin for a 10 shooting initiative and flexible damage pool at the cost of a very helpful reroll. For added hilarity, simply swap Groundhog for a Bloodthirsty Gunner for 7 base damage in close. Swapping Baby for Clarence H Mason for 2 base armor is also some impressive kit. My trouble is forgetting to take Baby's movement, because it occurs at a different init than the tank itself activates, but in racing/objective missions, it's incredible, and I tend to combine it with a Supercharger and/or Cautious with Seek, Strike, and Destroy for up to five combined moves in a turn.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 4, 2017 2:19:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: More detailed suggestions.

Zerstorer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 4, 2017 6:59:34 AM(UTC)
Zerstorer

Was thanked: 47 time(s) in 38 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CmdrRook Go to Quoted Post
Stationary requires you don't move your tank. Out of phase movement negates stationary, even if it doesn't provide a movement token. Also, it sounds like you were also incorrectly rerolling your Stationary Reroll, unless you naturally rolled seven hits on seven dice, which is unusual but not impossible. These factors combined might warrant your crushing victory, as they did with my Americans initially, but I'll be the first to admit that Fury is just a VERY good tank, and well worth the 50 points plus upgrades.

Try replacing Groundhog with John P Irwin for a 10 shooting initiative and flexible damage pool at the cost of a very helpful reroll. For added hilarity, simply swap Groundhog for a Bloodthirsty Gunner for 7 base damage in close. Swapping Baby for Clarence H Mason for 2 base armor is also some impressive kit. My trouble is forgetting to take Baby's movement, because it occurs at a different init than the tank itself activates, but in racing/objective missions, it's incredible, and I tend to combine it with a Supercharger and/or Cautious with Seek, Strike, and Destroy for up to five combined moves in a turn.

Yeah...no rerolls for stationary after Baby's free move make sense. Didn't need it for the 7 hits though...it was a lucky roll with a couple rerolls used from crew ability. The ability to select one of two critical cards from the crew upgrade was helpful too!

Kelvin  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 14, 2017 2:41:27 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 17 post(s)
As much as theyre considered a jack of all trades i swear by shermans. Cool report.
Kelvin Griffiths, Attack Wing Captain, Lord Of Rings Hero and Tank Commander. Sort of...