Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Adorable Rocket  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2016 5:14:41 AM(UTC)
Adorable Rocket

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
My group has been wondering about the tactic of using Gung-Ho to scoot in and out of the same position (usually a cover position).

As the rules and cards are written, this provides a boost to self defense, without the usual penalty of boosting target defense (at the loss of the re-roll for being stationary).

To us this usage seems to contradict the flavour of the name. It also contradicts
the description of the Americans in their nationality intro: article:
Quote:
Americans in TANKS
The Americans are designed to be very aggressive. Their core rule Gung-Ho incorporates this play style. Not being hampered by their first move each turn allows the American tanks to be a mobile strike force that will constantly be on the move. American heroes are also built with aggression in mind, helping to keep their tanks moving forward towards the enemy.

A search on this forum revealed a post from a few months ago which claimed that this tactic was ruled legal, and was referred to by the designers as 'smoking'.
Quote:
There is nothing explicit in the rules to say you cant do it it, but I did see on another post say that this move is called smoking, I assume these tanks let off some defensive smoke.

Unfortunately that post was not linked, and a search for "smoking" returned no useful results.

Our questions are:

1. Can we get an official ruling that this tactic is legal?
2. If legal, does this tactic accurately reflect the initial intent of the American national characteristic rule, or is it an exceptional usage which the designers feel does not much affect game balance? In other words, when the rule was first written was it explicitly intendedt o be used this way, or is "popping smoke" applied after the tactic was discovered?
3. If not part of the initial intent, would the team consider re-costing or clarifying the rule in the future?
4. If part of the initial intent, would the team consider revising the American national characteristic introduction article to explicitly talk about this rule interaction?

Thanks for your attention!
Tally - Ho  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2016 6:39:55 AM(UTC)
Tally - Ho

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Adorable Rocket Go to Quoted Post
My group has been wondering about the tactic of using Gung-Ho to scoot in and out of the same position (usually a cover position).

As the rules and cards are written, this provides a boost to self defense, without the usual penalty of boosting target defense (at the loss of the re-roll for being stationary).

I am not sure what you mean by this. Could you please clarify what you mean by scooting in & out.

To us this usage seems to contradict the flavour of the name. It also contradicts
the description of the Americans in their nationality intro: article:
Quote:
Americans in TANKS
The Americans are designed to be very aggressive. Their core rule Gung-Ho incorporates this play style. Not being hampered by their first move each turn allows the American tanks to be a mobile strike force that will constantly be on the move. American heroes are also built with aggression in mind, helping to keep their tanks moving forward towards the enemy.

A search on this forum revealed a post from a few months ago which claimed that this tactic was ruled legal, and was referred to by the designers as 'smoking'.
Quote:
There is nothing explicit in the rules to say you cant do it it, but I did see on another post say that this move is called smoking, I assume these tanks let off some defensive smoke.

Unfortunately that post was not linked, and a search for "smoking" returned no useful results.

Our questions are:

1. Can we get an official ruling that this tactic is legal?
2. If legal, does this tactic accurately reflect the initial intent of the American national characteristic rule, or is it an exceptional usage which the designers feel does not much affect game balance? In other words, when the rule was first written was it explicitly intendedt o be used this way, or is "popping smoke" applied after the tactic was discovered?
3. If not part of the initial intent, would the team consider re-costing or clarifying the rule in the future?
4. If part of the initial intent, would the team consider revising the American national characteristic introduction article to explicitly talk about this rule interaction?

Thanks for your attention!

I am not aware of an official rule regarding "popping smoke"
Adorable Rocket  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2016 7:05:00 AM(UTC)
Adorable Rocket

Originally Posted by: Tally - Ho Go to Quoted Post

I am not sure what you mean by this. Could you please clarify what you mean by scooting in & out.

There are two versions of this (our consensus at the moment is that the first is more effective) but we are referring to the general tactic colloquially as "scoot and shoot" in parody of the armor tactic referred to as "shoot and scoot". I apologize for the misleading description.

1. Activate a Tank with Gung-ho (that's sticking out of the woods say), scoot forward along the ruler only 1mm, gain a 1 move marker.

When this tank is shot at, it gains 1 defense die from the miniscule move despite not compromising it's preferred position.

However when this tank shoots, it ignores the 1 move marker and the target only gains the benefit of it's movement and defense dice. The shooting tank doesn't get the stationary re-roll.

2. Activate a Tank with Gung-ho (that's sticking out of the woods say), move any distance, then make a second move back to it's original position, gain a 2 move marker.

When this tank is shot at, it gains 2 defense die despite not compromising it's preferred position (or effectively moving at all).

However when this tank shoots, it ignores 1 move marker and the target only gains 1/2 of the typical boost to defense in addition to it's it's movement and defense dice. The shooting tank doesn't get the stationary re-roll.

This is an interesting tradeoff ability that, while possibly valid, doesn't logically follow from the description of Gung-ho.
Padwa  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2016 1:05:59 PM(UTC)
Padwa

In our gaming group, this is known as "The Sherman Shuffle" irrespective of which nation uses the manoeuvre of moving twice but ending up in the same position before it moved. It is a legal move in the current rules and is accepted by our gaming group.
Obviously the Americans have an advantage when using this tactic but all the nations benefit from their respective traits depending on the battlefield scenarios.
During our tournaments it is an accepted statement to say that a particular vehicle is performing a "Sherman Shuffle" and place a "2 move" token next to the vehicle. ( I use the generic term "vehicle" rather than tank as wheeled vehicles have been added to the mix.

Edited by user Sunday, December 11, 2016 5:31:00 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Padwa for this useful post.
LS650 on 12/11/2016(UTC)
LS650  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 11, 2016 4:42:13 PM(UTC)
LS650

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Padwa Go to Quoted Post
In our gaming group, this is known as "The Sherman Shuffle" irrespective of which nation uses the manoeuvre of moving twice but ending up in the same position before it moved. It is a legal move in the current rules and is accepted by our gaming group.

I find it happens a lot, especially when a tank is already in cover. I think of it as a tank staying in motion and perhaps pivoting or shuffling a few feet to gain better cover.
thanks 1 user thanked LS650 for this useful post.
Padwa on 12/11/2016(UTC)
Adorable Rocket  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 13, 2016 4:36:14 AM(UTC)
Adorable Rocket

Originally Posted by: LS650 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Padwa Go to Quoted Post

I find it happens a lot, especially when a tank is already in cover. I think of it as a tank staying in motion and perhaps pivoting or shuffling a few feet to gain better cover.

Yes, this "shuffle" is clearly legal. You move, and in addition to you losing the stationary benefit, you also take a penalty to your offensive ability commensurate to your increased defensive ability.

The questions arise purely in conjunction with Gung-ho.
Andrew at Tanks HQ  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 16, 2016 3:33:28 PM(UTC)
Andrew at Tanks HQ

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 45 post(s)
The movement arrow is where your tank ends its movement, not its movement in its entirety. Basically look at it this way, your tank is moving to the side and goes about an inch. The tank does not physically move sideways, it turns moves forward and turns again to achieve its final position but the arrow only shows the result of the movement and not the path it took.

A Sherman in cover behind a building may peak out to take a shot and reverse back into cover once it fired, it did not move much but it did add to its defence, the same could be said for a tank inside a forest.

The American rule basically gives their target -1 defence if the American tank moved this turn. So moving one just for the defence boost might be good, but you are exchanging your ability to re-roll all your attack dice for remaining stationary.

Just remember in TANKS where you end up on the arrow is not the direct path you took to get there, it is just where your tank ended up at the end of its move.

Edited by user Friday, December 16, 2016 3:36:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users thanked Andrew at Tanks HQ for this useful post.
WolfBenrath on 12/16/2016(UTC), Adorable Rocket on 12/19/2016(UTC)
Adorable Rocket  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 5:28:49 AM(UTC)
Adorable Rocket

Originally Posted by: Andrew at Tanks HQ Go to Quoted Post
The movement arrow is where your tank ends its movement, not its movement in its entirety. Basically look at it this way, your tank is moving to the side and goes about an inch. The tank does not physically move sideways, it turns moves forward and turns again to achieve its final position but the arrow only shows the result of the movement and not the path it took.

Thanks, this concept was clear to our group, but it's surprising how often it's overlooked.

An illustration may be desirable in a future edition of the rulebook.

A Sherman in cover behind a building may peak out to take a shot and reverse back into cover once it fired, it did not move much but it did add to its defence, the same could be said for a tank inside a forest.

Again, this concept of the tradeoff between moving and and not, is clear and if I may say, one of the most clever well executed parts of the game.

The American rule basically gives their target -1 defence if the American tank moved this turn. So moving one just for the defence boost might be good, but you are exchanging your ability to re-roll all your attack dice for remaining stationary.

Thanks, this clarifies that the Americans are indeed intended to get their move bonus for all kinds of moves, not just "aggressive" or "mobile strike force" style moves.