Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Andrew at Tanks HQ  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2016 5:03:11 PM(UTC)
Andrew at Tanks HQ

Was thanked: 72 time(s) in 45 post(s)

Doctrine cards are a new category of upgrade cards that focus on national characteristics, rather than equipment or training, and let us elaborate on how different nationalities fought and provide some new play styles within those nationalities.

Check out the new Doctrine cards here...
SirClash  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:39:34 PM(UTC)
SirClash

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Nice idea, but couldn't those be just crewmembers/regular upgrades? Or the idea was to introduce one more, nation specific upgrade slot? And, most importantly, where can we get those? :]
shifty33  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:53:04 PM(UTC)
shifty33

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Well every American tank with cautious just got 2 points more expensive lol I like this idea cam give alot of flavor to tanks and more upgrades that don't take crew slots is always a good thing more options are great.
LordOfKhemri  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2016 7:21:57 PM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Sound idea.

One foot in the ground could be "Dig In/Hull Down" for all nationalities though.

Keep things coming, keep the game expanding while my wallet can cope :)

And yes, when will these cards be available?
2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
Dr.Dave  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2016 7:53:15 PM(UTC)
Dr.Dave

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
the Brit 'One foot on the ground' seems a direct response to the observations here on the forum re. the weakness/limitation of the Brit's 'semi indirect fire'. If Tanks HQ continue to take note of comments by players - and I'm sure they will - that can only be good for the game.
Andrew at Tanks HQ  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2016 8:27:08 PM(UTC)
Andrew at Tanks HQ

The cards in the article are going to be in the M10 and Achilles expansions.
hithero  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2016 8:51:35 PM(UTC)
hithero

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Nice to see new upgrades with the new releases,
PilGrim  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2016 8:56:13 PM(UTC)
PilGrim

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Andrew at Tanks HQ Go to Quoted Post

Great - except this could easily be the slippery slope to having to buy expansions just to get the cards. Not an issue with the US doctrine as it only applies to TDs but the Brits could (will) want to kit out their Fireflies etc. Going to leave TOs in a difficult spot when trying to grow the game

Mineralwasser  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2016 9:16:49 PM(UTC)
Mineralwasser

Seek, Strike, Destroy vs. One Foot on the Ground.

As a British player I have no understanding for the reason, that the re-roll of cautious Movement is
only an american special rule (M10 and not the Archilles). 2 points, this is an auto-include on every M10.

"Foot on the Ground" as an upgrade for a Sherman or a Firefly is a heavy point increase and
not sure if I now want to sit still with them. Might try it out with some other upgrades.
Kaltes - klares - Wasser.
PilGrim  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2016 9:31:37 PM(UTC)
PilGrim

Originally Posted by: Mineralwasser Go to Quoted Post

As a British player I have no understanding for the reason, that the re-roll of cautious Movement is
only an american special rule (M10 and not the Archilles). 2 points, this is an auto-include on every M10.

"Foot on the Ground" as an upgrade for a Sherman or a Firefly is a heavy point increase and
not sure if I now want to sit still with them. Might try it out with some other upgrades.

Good point - OFOTG is a very expensive card to get a +1 def dice and only works when stationary. Combined with a Cam net and cover that gives 4 def dice to a Firefly - Ok but not exactly good, very expensive and pretty useless to an M10C.

SSD is half the cost and twice as good

If the aim is balancing the Semi Indirect rule this needs to be a lot cheaper. Of course we dont know yet what the other cards do

Andrew at Tanks HQ  
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2016 12:04:05 AM(UTC)
Andrew at Tanks HQ

Seek, Strike, Destroy is there to reflect how the US Tank Destroyer (TD) doctrine/Tactics was different than other countries. The rule Cautious is based off of American TD tactics, but hit and run tactics is not a new concept to light, fast TDs. Since the Americans had a unique Doctrine for TD companies, we wanted to reflect this by giving American tanks a bonus to their Cautious rolls. .

So in short the British used the Achilles as a self propelled anti-tank guns that were crewed by the royal artillery
The Americans used them as Tank Destroyers, that used recon to enact their Seek, Strike, Destroy doctrine.

On the other end of the spectrum the Soviets mainly used their M10s as light tanks and thus would not even get the Cautious rule.

Andrew at Tanks HQ  
#12 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2016 12:21:03 AM(UTC)
Andrew at Tanks HQ

Originally Posted by: PilGrim Go to Quoted Post

Good point - OFOTG is a very expensive card to get a +1 def dice and only works when stationary. Combined with a Cam net and cover that gives 4 def dice to a Firefly - Ok but not exactly good, very expensive and pretty useless to an M10C.

SSD is half the cost and twice as good

If the aim is balancing the Semi Indirect rule this needs to be a lot cheaper. Of course we dont know yet what the other cards do

The points are actually really good when you consider Camo netting is 4 points and is discarded as soon as you take a hit. One Foot on The Ground is also 4 points without the downside. The card itself also has massive synergies with Semi-Indirect fire and can be added to any British tank. As you said One Foot on The Ground can also be used with camo netting, a combo other countries do not have access too.
All in all it gives british players some interesting options. 4 Firefly tanks with One Foot on The Ground is not a bad 100 point list, compared to a 3 panther list.

Edited by user Thursday, September 22, 2016 12:22:34 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Axeman  
#13 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2016 8:29:31 AM(UTC)
Axeman

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: SirClash Go to Quoted Post
Nice idea, but couldn't those be just crewmembers/regular upgrades? Or the idea was to introduce one more, nation specific upgrade slot? And, most importantly, where can we get those? :]

I like the idea of these cards but I would have used the term "Doctrine" for something that applies to all tanks of a specific type in your force e.g. pay 'X' points for something that gives a bonus to any or all of your assault guns or heavy tanks.

Maybe something like this will come in the future?
Patton  
#14 Posted : Thursday, September 22, 2016 8:05:03 PM(UTC)
Patton

Hummm... How does staying stationary INCREASE your armor? I understand the re-roll option on firing, but staying stationary is like being a "sitting duck"!! Would think it would give the enemy shooter a +1 die to his attack, rather than giving the Brit tank MORE armor! IMHO, anyway...
Kozi  
#15 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2016 4:31:43 AM(UTC)
Kozi

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)

Like the concept and the cards, but (extremely) dislike the policy of placing them only in the new tanks. Leads into the 'pay to play' scheme. Tanks specific cards can be in the relevant tank, but 'general effect' cards should be available through multiple sources.

thanks 2 users thanked Kozi for this useful post.
PilGrim on 9/25/2016(UTC), yyctanksbrigade on 2/2/2017(UTC)
hithero  
#16 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2016 5:24:29 AM(UTC)
hithero

Was thanked: 29 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Standard method for games, how would you like to be able to get hold of a single card?
CommodoreDecker  
#17 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2016 7:07:22 AM(UTC)
CommodoreDecker

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
New releases?
How about some starter sets? All my work promoting this game is going out the window if they don't restock this week.
No starters, still don't have op2 kit. Its only going to be the fault of gf9 when this great game folds soon.
Axeman  
#18 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2016 8:10:33 AM(UTC)
Axeman

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kozi Go to Quoted Post

Like the concept and the cards, but (extremely) dislike the policy of placing them only in the new tanks. Leads into the 'pay to play' scheme. Tanks specific cards can be in the relevant tank, but 'general effect' cards should be available through multiple sources.

It will work out just as it has for X-Wing Miniatures, by generating a market for single cards at inflated prices.
thanks 1 user thanked Axeman for this useful post.
yyctanksbrigade on 2/2/2017(UTC)
dogg  
#19 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2016 8:45:14 AM(UTC)
dogg

Originally Posted by: CommodoreDecker Go to Quoted Post
New releases?
How about some starter sets? All my work promoting this game is going out the window if they don't restock this week.
No starters, still don't have op2 kit. Its only going to be the fault of gf9 when this great game folds soon.

2nd this.......its going to die without support of basic starters
Carlson793  
#20 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2016 10:21:16 AM(UTC)
Carlson793

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CommodoreDecker Go to Quoted Post
New releases?

Already died locally. I hold out hope, but I'm also hedging my bets with FoW (though PSC sees most of my money for that).